Young Kitten Spraying

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a young kitten I'm fostering, and possibly keeping. S/he is approximately 7 weeks. I didn't think it possible at such a young age but I've caught this baby spraying twice. I immediately pick him up, gently, and place him in litter box, as I don't really know what else to do. He or she is too young to be fixed. S/he is doing it in the room I'm keeping him in, near the closed door, so I'm sure it's a territorial issue (I have five cats of my own). Poor little baby probably feels safer that way.
In any case, I originally thought it was a girl but thinking boy now. Also, I'm new to fostering. Is it normal for a young kitten to be so crazy high strung and literally climbing up my legs? I'm starting to get an assortment of wounds from cat claws. For those familiar with my previous post, this is the kitten I rescued from my car engine (after car was driven). He's a survivor!
20170523_214829.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello thecatzmeow thecatzmeow , was there any change in the surroundings/environment? Anything new added or perhaps someone visited or some loud noise? At this age, he might have been spooked and panicked? Or out of any anxiety or stress?

Yes, a kitten is full of energy and active. Try trimming her claws. You might have a climber here and probably very attached to you since you are the one that rescued her and nurse her to health.

Your kitty is beautiful :lovecat::lovecat4:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitty is so beautiful and his story is so amazing. You've done a great thing for him by rescuing him. :cutecat:

As for the spraying, tabbytom tabbytom basically covered all the bases. I would still reccommend taking him to the vet to check for a UTI... just to rule out any medical issues before working on treating stress. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea I'm pretty sure he's stressed because of other the cats. I was hoping there was something I could do to curb the behavior before it becomes habit. He's likely getting fixed in June, possibly July. I guesstimate his birthdate as late March, early April.

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yes, he's a little cutie pie!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of spraying? Just peeing standing up isn't always actual spraying, and some cats do prefer to pee standing up---male or female. How are her litterbox habits otherwise? I don't think a kitten that young would spray territorily, but I suppose anything can happen. And, females can (and will) spray just as well as males can ;).

Some vets will do spays/neuter as soon as the kitten weighs 2 pounds, so ask around about that---if this kitty is prone to spraying it's best to get the hormones out of the way as soon as possible!

Try to get a pic of the kitty's booty so we can see if she's a she or not. I'm inclined to say it's a girl because it looks like she might be dilute tortie but maybe the picture is just a little splotchy.

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he or she does look like a pastel/diluted tortie. I have another female with similar coloring (avatar pic). I will get a pic of his/her bottom. As far as the spraying goes, I have a problematic male siamese who constantly sprays, so I recognize it. Kitty backed up to baseboard, lifted tail and shook a bit. I knew the "stance " even before it actually happened. She/he is doing business normally in litter box so far. Just one poopy accident outside box. But it's only been just barely over a week since litter box training. Both spraying incidents have been right inside the doorway of the bedroom where I'm keeping her.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's a boy! I trapped one which had crawled in my car engine about the same time you got your lucky little one. He does the same thing...backing up with his tail high and vibrating the tail. Nothing comes out though...neither spray nor urine. They don't have the hormones yet to technically spray at 6-7 weeks. Probably just "practicing" for later in life. :crackup:

Are you sure your little guy is actually "putting out liquid", or just going through the motion?

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes definitely putting out liquid! I put my foot there both times to feel the carpet and there was a tiny wet spot.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
That's certainly a boy. Very rare to see tortie boys (only 1/3000 torties are boys).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to contradict anyone but that's a girl. I'm 99.9% sure. The male genital opening is round; hers is a slit, the distance between the genital opening and the anus isn't large enough for it to be a boy---no space for balls ;). She does have a little extra skin bit (labia? The little round parts on each side of the slit---testicles would be over the genital opening, not around it) that makes it harder to tell, but I had a girl like that so now I know what to look for, lol.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...I'm not seeing the slit like an upside-down exclamation point, but I see what you're saying about no room for balls. I'm guessing my little guy is 7 weeks tomorrow and he definitely has the "beginnings" of balls.

Wonder what the rest of the world is doing tonight while we discuss kitten genitalia? :crackup:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I hate to contradict anyone but that's a girl. I'm 99.9% sure. The male genital opening is round; hers is a slit, the distance between the genital opening and the anus isn't large enough for it to be a boy---no space for balls ;). She does have a little extra skin bit (labia? The little round parts on each side of the slit---testicles would be over the genital opening, not around it) that makes it harder to tell, but I had a girl like that so now I know what to look for, lol.
Great point as always, W Willowy . Thanks for clarifying that for me!

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Who knew sexing a kitten would be so difficult?
I know female cats spray too but what are the odds that a kitten this young, and female, would spray? Pretty rare I'd imagine.