Young Kitten - 3rd Eyelid & Diarrhea

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I have another cat in my care... this time it is what my husbands job has decided will be the "Office Cat".

Her history is a little concerning, she belonged to someone at my husbands work, and from what I gather they were just feeding her dog food. I don't know why, because they have other cats? I just don't get it, but whatever, she is in our care now and I've moved on from raging at the owners. Because of the poor treatment, despite being younger then would be preferred, we will not be allowing her to go back to the litter/mom/in that humans care.

I do think she is too young to be apart from her mother, at most 8 weeks. But given the situation she was in, I don't think she should go back and - in the end it is not truly my decision. The people that were caring for her before did not do vaccines, worming, or any sort of vetting, and fed her dog food - I do not know if that's all she got, but it sounded so. She has been brought home for me to care for her because... apparently my husband thinks I'm the best option.

She had diarrhea almost immediately, which I at first attributed to actually getting cat food, but it has persisted and gotten worse.

Before the vet visit, I had given my husband a regimen to try which was - wet kitten food, with 1/4 a cap of s. bouralli (I'm spelling that wrong) 2x a day, 1/2 cap of slippery elm 1x a day, 1 gram of Probios a day, a teaspoon of pumpkin. The very next day, she had a formed, solid poop.

Then the next day, she had vaccines (11/12). She had a dose of Revolution Plus on Saturday (12/12) - she was covered in fleas (vet gave her). They also gave her Safeguard to be given 1ml for 5 days. The fecal samples were negative for worms/parasites, but we know those can be wrong, and she looked a little bloated in her belly, so it was precautionary. They also gave some more gel probiotics to give.

Well, she hasn't had a solid poop since that vet visit, and her 3rd eyelid has been showing. It got so bad that it scared everyone and they took her back to the vet Monday (14/12). She also wasn't really eating that day, and sleeping a lot. The photo below is at the vets office, where she should have been wide awake and alert, and her eyes were still funny. This was the worst day, and it's not been this bad since, except after she first wakes up for a few seconds. But it's still there.
IMG_5756.jpg
At the vet they gave her a dexamethasone injection, and gave amoxicillin to give 0.5ml x2 a day for 7 days. She also tested negative for FeLV and FIV/HW. The vet said he rarely sees this (eyes) in cats/kittens, and doesn't really know what is wrong with her.

After the steroid injection as I expected her appetite came back. I have been giving her a mixture of KMR/Goats milk/Water mixed into her wet food, because it entices her to eat all the powders/gels/is a lot of liquid for her/she loves it. As a note, the poop is no better or worse since introducing the milks.

Otherwise she mostly seems alright. Some days she doesn't want to eat a whole lot, but usually will at least nibble some dry and at least 2/3 a can of wet, and she'll drink all of the kitten milk. Other days she eats a bunch. Kind of how my kitten Winnie was. She plays a lot, explores, and wants to be pet. The main issue is the eyes, and the poop. She is going about 3-5x a day, and it is mostly mushy/liquid everytime. She steps in it a lot, and we think her butt is sore because she really hates it being wiped (which is has to have done every time). She has never not made it to the box however.

Today, my husband told me the co-worker said all of her brothers and sisters seem to have this eye thing going on, but not the poop...

Any ideas or advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, here is how her eyes look a lot of the time. This was Friday. Still not fully gone, but not as bad as the above photo, which was the worst day.
IMG_5732.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My goodness! Third eyelid showing usually means the cat is not feeling well. The vaccines and various meds are likely contributing to the diarrhea. In fact, vaccines can cause various reactions that may last a week or so. However, if she has a bacterial infection in her intestinal tract the antibiotics should clear it.

Apply petroleum jelly or coconut oil to her bottom for relief and to form a protective barrier. Once everything is out of her system except food, perhaps her poops will be formed again.

If her siblings are showing their third eyelids they need to see a vet as well. Dog food does not contain taurine, which cats need for neurological development. A proper diet makes a huge difference!

Can someone spay the mother cat? It does not seem right for her to continue breeding.

Give your kitten time to clear the meds. It’s been a lot of changes for her in a short time, but it sounds like you are on top of things. Thanks for taking her in and keep us posted!

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I have another cat in my care... this time it is what my husbands job has decided will be the "Office Cat".

Her history is a little concerning, she belonged to someone at my husbands work, and from what I gather they were just feeding her dog food. I don't know why, because they have other cats? I just don't get it, but whatever, she is in our care now and I've moved on from raging at the owners. Because of the poor treatment, despite being younger then would be preferred, we will not be allowing her to go back to the litter/mom/in that humans care.

I do think she is too young to be apart from her mother, at most 8 weeks. But given the situation she was in, I don't think she should go back and - in the end it is not truly my decision. The people that were caring for her before did not do vaccines, worming, or any sort of vetting, and fed her dog food - I do not know if that's all she got, but it sounded so. She has been brought home for me to care for her because... apparently my husband thinks I'm the best option.

She had diarrhea almost immediately, which I at first attributed to actually getting cat food, but it has persisted and gotten worse.

Before the vet visit, I had given my husband a regimen to try which was - wet kitten food, with 1/4 a cap of s. bouralli (I'm spelling that wrong) 2x a day, 1/2 cap of slippery elm 1x a day, 1 gram of Probios a day, a teaspoon of pumpkin. The very next day, she had a formed, solid poop.

Then the next day, she had vaccines (11/12). She had a dose of Revolution Plus on Saturday (12/12) - she was covered in fleas (vet gave her). They also gave her Safeguard to be given 1ml for 5 days. The fecal samples were negative for worms/parasites, but we know those can be wrong, and she looked a little bloated in her belly, so it was precautionary. They also gave some more gel probiotics to give.

Well, she hasn't had a solid poop since that vet visit, and her 3rd eyelid has been showing. It got so bad that it scared everyone and they took her back to the vet Monday (14/12). She also wasn't really eating that day, and sleeping a lot. The photo below is at the vets office, where she should have been wide awake and alert, and her eyes were still funny. This was the worst day, and it's not been this bad since, except after she first wakes up for a few seconds. But it's still there.
View attachment 362535
At the vet they gave her a dexamethasone injection, and gave amoxicillin to give 0.5ml x2 a day for 7 days. She also tested negative for FeLV and FIV/HW. The vet said he rarely sees this (eyes) in cats/kittens, and doesn't really know what is wrong with her.

After the steroid injection as I expected her appetite came back. I have been giving her a mixture of KMR/Goats milk/Water mixed into her wet food, because it entices her to eat all the powders/gels/is a lot of liquid for her/she loves it. As a note, the poop is no better or worse since introducing the milks.

Otherwise she mostly seems alright. Some days she doesn't want to eat a whole lot, but usually will at least nibble some dry and at least 2/3 a can of wet, and she'll drink all of the kitten milk. Other days she eats a bunch. Kind of how my kitten Winnie was. She plays a lot, explores, and wants to be pet. The main issue is the eyes, and the poop. She is going about 3-5x a day, and it is mostly mushy/liquid everytime. She steps in it a lot, and we think her butt is sore because she really hates it being wiped (which is has to have done every time). She has never not made it to the box however.

Today, my husband told me the co-worker said all of her brothers and sisters seem to have this eye thing going on, but not the poop...

Any ideas or advice?
I would take her off the milk. Happened to my kitten. Took her off all milk products. Put her on kitten food kibbles. ( she was eating adult cat food) when I got her. I also put her on royal canin recovery food. She is a healthy 7 months old. She is on 9 lives essential kibbles friskies wet food for cats and kittens and is doing well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Exactly what sort of kitten milk are you giving?

If you can get raw goats milk, this could be worth a try. Good nutrition, and raw has also some positive effects on the digestive system.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow.....you are saving another one, bless you! I agree with the previous comments and don't have much to add that would be helpful. A lot hit her at once with all the vaccines, vet care, new food, etc. She had a bad start on top of that and hopefully is on the road to recovery.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S. boulardii is known to be effective against diarrhea. If you can get Bene Bac probiotic, made by PetAg, this is good too.

As she has much diarrheas, be sure you give her extra salts. So either pedialyte - best is such a clear unflavored for babies. You can also use bottled minerale water. You see on the label if there are lotsa of different salts. Just let out the gases.
Or simply, sprinkle some minerale kitchen salt on her food. Do it every day. Not too much at once, you dont want to give a bad taste, but enough to give her again these electrolytes she is loosing in the diarrhea.

Be sure she is warm and comfortable. The sick ones are always freezing. You can give her massage over the whole body too. Use perhaps a toothbrush, it feels alike mommas tongue.

Swttea Swttea

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby is so lucky you took over! She probably needs time and all the above is great advice. The only thing I can add right now is that if the diarrhea continues, get her check for Coccidia. It would require a bit different meds than your usual antibiotics but is common among kitties. I hope she is feeling much better. She looks a lot better than the first pic. Sending purrs to you all along with thanks for being such a great human.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly what sort of kitten milk are you giving?

If you can get raw goats milk, this could be worth a try. Good nutrition, and raw has also some positive effects on the digestive system.
This kitten milk (powder):

And this goat milk, also powder
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K69OMU/?tag=thecatsite

They were the only things available locally. Well, also liquid versions, but I read the powdered versions seem to do better?
I could try stopping them, but I am reluctant just because it really gets her to eat all the powders and gels and stuff.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
S. boulardii is known to be effective against diarrhea. If you can get Bene Bac probiotic, made by PetAg, this is good too.

As she has much diarrheas, be sure you give her extra salts. So either pedialyte - best is such a clear unflavored for babies. You can also use bottled minerale water. You see on the label if there are lotsa of different salts. Just let out the gases.
Or simply, sprinkle some minerale kitchen salt on her food. Do it every day. Not too much at once, you dont want to give a bad taste, but enough to give her again these electrolytes she is loosing in the diarrhea.

Be sure she is warm and comfortable. The sick ones are always freezing. You can give her massage over the whole body too. Use perhaps a toothbrush, it feels alike mommas tongue.

Swttea Swttea
I've been giving her s. boulardii, and my husband co-worker brought in some Bene Bac but she wouldn't touch it. Wouldn't touch any food it was mixed in! I had been giving her Probios, which she will eat

It's also pretty hard to get her to eat anything with pedialyte/pumpkin anymore :( She hates the stuff.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've been giving her s. boulardii, and my husband co-worker brought in some Bene Bac but she wouldn't touch it. Wouldn't touch any food it was mixed in! I had been giving her Probios, which she will eat

It's also pretty hard to get her to eat anything with pedialyte/pumpkin anymore :( She hates the stuff.
Are you sure its the flavorless brand, for babies you use of the pedialyte? Many commercial pedialytes are flavored, and thus, have unnecessary chemicals.

But if you cant give pedialyte, so sprinkle a little minerale kitchen salt. Just a little so it doenst change the taste too much.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

OK, so she takes this probios. I dont know exactly what it does contain, but Im sure it should be useful.

Yeah, sometimes you must test something different. We are lucky to live in a country and times, where we usually DO have alternatives to choose among.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This kitten milk (powder):

And this goat milk, also powder
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K69OMU/?tag=thecatsite

They were the only things available locally. Well, also liquid versions, but I read the powdered versions seem to do better?
I could try stopping them, but I am reluctant just because it really gets her to eat all the powders and gels and stuff.
Yes, the PetAg has good reputation. It should work well, no known sideeffects, and as you say, the powder versions are seen as the most reliable. . But yeah, it happens sometimes you must try with something different.
And the first choice alternative is often goats milk or a goats milk based kmr.

Meyenberg powdered goats milk is good, I know of rescuers whom use it per preference, even if they have access to KMR.
so you can use it without hesitation.

Still, raw goats milk (fresh or frozen) has these potential properties of soothing sensitive stomach or intestines.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey - we had a completely solid poop this morning! :cheerleader:

Since it was the weekend I had her in my care for much longer, and I started using everything much more frequently. I cut the doses down but upped the frequency to everytime I fed her - s. boulardii, slippery elm, and another powdered probiotic since I ran out of gel, in every serving of food. She also had her last dose of Safeguard a few nights ago. Today will be her last 2 doses of Amoxicillin

Her eyes still aren’t 100% “normal”. The 3rd eyelid is pretty much always there a little, but it does seem better then it has been?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep up the nice job! It sounds like her health is improving under your excellent care!