Young Again Zero Carb Dry Cat Food. Vs. Canned Food??

pyro burning

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Young Again Dry cat food great and comparable to canned food? Or would canned food still be better? I feed Natures Variety LID but Young Again Dry seems to claim that it is just as good as wet food and shouldmt cause any kind of blockage. Anyone who may know?? I would love some answers please.. :)

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have never heard of that brand of dried cat food but I just wanted to mention that canned food is regarded as superior in terms of water content, so I guess it would be dependent on what you mean by better.  Personally, I would stick with the canned food.  

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Young Again Dry cat food great and comparable to canned food? Or would canned food still be better? I feed Natures Variety LID but Young Again Dry seems to claim that it is just as good as wet food and shouldmt cause any kind of blockage. Anyone who may know?? I would love some answers please..
If you are looking for a kibble to replace the NV kibble than I think the Young Again would be good .  I noticed that they now carry a 4 pound bag size in the Zero Carb .  I am going to order for my cats . They currently eat  50% wet 50% kibble  . 

I know that a 100% wet diet is ideal but if you prefer to  feed  50/50  I think the Young Again would be a good choice  for the kibble part ..

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Pyro Burning...  I ordered the 4 lb bag of  Young Again Zero Carb for my cats  . My cats tire of eating wet food 100 %  so I am going to give them 1 meal of the YA Zero Carb and  1 meal of a good quality can food such as  Nutro Natural Choice.  

Thankfully I  got some samples of the YA  last month and found they really like it ..

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is Young Again Dry cat food great and comparable to canned food? Or would canned food still be better? I feed Natures Variety LID but Young Again Dry seems to claim that it is just as good as wet food and shouldmt cause any kind of blockage. Anyone who may know?? I would love some answers please..
All dry foods are, well, dry. There is no moisture content that will help keep a cat well hydrated and the urinary system working optimally. No dry food will prevent urinary issues.

If you can't feed a 100% canned food diet, then any high quality grain-free dry food can be fed. Don't pay too much attention to product claims.

My two cents

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pyro burning

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I wanted to know people's thoughts on the food. Supposedly their website claims a lot of stuff like it won't cause UTI and that their diet is "synchronized" with their water intake which I guess means they will drink enough water eating their dry food brand.
Don't worry though.
I'm feeding 100% can. Natures Variety Limited. I go through about almost 2 cans a day for my kitten. Soon it'll be 4 cans since I plan to adopt a second kitten. Sphynx kittens sure do eat a lot haha.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I wanted to know people's thoughts on the food. Supposedly their website claims a lot of stuff like it won't cause UTI and that their diet is "synchronized" with their water intake which I guess means they will drink enough water eating their dry food brand.
Don't worry though.
I'm feeding 100% can. Natures Variety Limited. I go through about almost 2 cans a day for my kitten. Soon it'll be 4 cans since I plan to adopt a second kitten. Sphynx kittens sure do eat a lot haha.
Good to hear

I heard that hairless cats tend to eat more because they need the extra energy and nutrients to help keep warm. Not sure if that's really true or not.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry though.
I agree ,  I  don't  necessarily  believe their claims that it can prevent any issues but  I like the fact that it has zero carbs .  My cats are happier eating some kibble so I wanted to find a good one . They will still get 1 meal of the Fancy Feast Classic  for hydration...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pyro burning

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah possibly, I don't know much about the food yet :/

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as urinary tract issues in one way I get their claim.  There is a lot of evidence that too many carbs in the diet leads to a higher urinary pH which is conducive to the formation of struvite crystals.  It is still dry and lack of moisture causes urinary tract issues.  I think a low carb canned food is the better choice but as a compliment to wet food or as a dry food for kitties that insist on eating at least some kibble it is a good choice.  

I know it's first very positive reviews came from owners of diabetic animals both kitties and dogs. 

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, but what are they replacing the carb ingredients with? Human no-carb food uses really awful lab created chemicals to replace natural sugar and starch.

Personally, I wouldn't touch "food" like this with a ten foot pole unless it were for medical reasons like diabetes.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is the review from the truth about pet food site.  http://truthaboutpetfood.com/petsumer-report-review-of-the-month-50/

Of course it isn't perfect, you can nitpick at any food, but overall they gave them a decent review.  A lot of the chemicals used in human food is artificial sweeteners in some form.  Since cats don't even taste sweet there is no reason to incorporate a sweet taste in their food.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here is the review from the truth about pet food site.  http://truthaboutpetfood.com/petsumer-report-review-of-the-month-50/

Of course it isn't perfect, you can nitpick at any food, but overall they gave them a decent review.  A lot of the chemicals used in human food is artificial sweeteners in some form.  Since cats don't even taste sweet there is no reason to incorporate a sweet taste in their food.
@Denice
I got my bag of YA Zero Carb . My cats really like it ..  Next  time though I am going to order the  8 lb bag of YA 50/22  it will be  a bit cheaper but still less than 5 % carbs and I only have to order every 60 days .. They still  each get  a can of wet everyday  as well ..

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
If anyone has tried or is going to try Young Again, don't forget to add your review here - 

[product="19167"]Young Again Zero Carbs Dry Cat Food​[/product]  

texassandman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a huge tuxedo cat, Mr. Sluggo who came out of his diabetes remission when he had some abscessed teeth.  Even after they were pulled he had an insulin requirement.  First to go was the orijen kibble which has an incredible ingredient list but still calculates out at 16% dry matter carbs.  I set out the young again zero carb for the other kitties who are obligate kibble eaters and gave sluggo canned blue wilderness chicken pate (supposedly 95% chicken, low carb, calculates at 6% dry matter carbs on the Scheyder calculator).  Sluggo still spiked his blood sugars though not as badly.  Finally, I took away his wet canned food and everybody went on the young again zero carb.  Sluggo's blood sugars normalized off insulin within 24 hours.

I appreciate the concern about kidney stones, but feel young again has come up with a very strong answer to that issue here:

https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/hydration.html

Interestingly, cats fed young again zero carb wind up with lower urine specific gravities than cats fed a wet canned diet.  And the pH is low, so not conducive to stone formation as well.

I am aware some vets think feeding kibble to a diabetic cat or any cat is criminal.

But medicine moves in fits and starts.  At one time we drilled holes in peoples skulls for migraines and psychosis (trephination) to let out the evil spirits.  Whether the patient survived depended on the location of the hole.

As recently as the 1950's, it was standard practice to treat coronary artery disease by opening the chest and sprinkling talcum powder over the heart ("poudrage").  It was thought the irritant from the powder caused fresh vessels to sprout.  However, this was disproved with a randomized study where the chest was opened and talcum powder was sprinkled on only half the hearts with no difference in results.

Likewise, I think the slobbering love affair with moist cat food from a can will die a merciful death, but it may take some time.

JMHO as a physician (human animal)

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a huge tuxedo cat, Mr. Sluggo who came out of his diabetes remission when he had some abscessed teeth.  Even after they were pulled he had an insulin requirement.  First to go was the orijen kibble which has an incredible ingredient list but still calculates out at 16% dry matter carbs.  I set out the young again zero carb for the other kitties who are obligate kibble eaters and gave sluggo canned blue wilderness chicken pate (supposedly 95% chicken, low carb, calculates at 6% dry matter carbs on the Scheyder calculator).  Sluggo still spiked his blood sugars though not as badly.  Finally, I took away his wet canned food and everybody went on the young again zero carb.  Sluggo's blood sugars normalized off insulin within 24 hours.

I appreciate the concern about kidney stones, but feel young again has come up with a very strong answer to that issue here:

https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/hydration.html

Interestingly, cats fed young again zero carb wind up with lower urine specific gravities than cats fed a wet canned diet.  And the pH is low, so not conducive to stone formation as well.

I am aware some vets think feeding kibble to a diabetic cat or any cat is criminal.

But medicine moves in fits and starts.  At one time we drilled holes in peoples skulls for migraines and psychosis (trephination) to let out the evil spirits.  Whether the patient survived depended on the location of the hole.

As recently as the 1950's, it was standard practice to treat coronary artery disease by opening the chest and sprinkling talcum powder over the heart ("poudrage").  It was thought the irritant from the powder caused fresh vessels to sprout.  However, this was disproved with a randomized study where the chest was opened and talcum powder was sprinkled on only half the hearts with no difference in results.

Likewise, I think the slobbering love affair with moist cat food from a can will die a merciful death, but it may take some time.

JMHO as a physician (human animal)
If  the YA works for your cat that is all that matters .   I may try it again with my cats.. They refuse to eat wet food so I like them to eat a high quality kibble at least .

Last edited:

oliverwinston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interested in the young again. It's seems like a good dry choice.

I have two 9 month old cats. I was wondering what their daily need would be if I gave each of them a half can of Weruva trulux and a little young again in the morning. As well as a little young again in the evening.

The weruva cans are mostly 110 calories each (6oz) can. Both my cats are 10lbs exactly. Daily requirement for each of them to maintain weight is around 200 calories. I can't afford to give them 2 cans each a day so I was going to try the 50/50 thing :(.

I've never used dry food so I'm not sure how long it will last

This just worries me a little https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/phone/5022-cat-food.html

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interested in the young again. It's seems like a good dry choice.

I have two 9 month old cats. I was wondering what their daily need would be if I gave each of them a half can of Weruva trulux and a little young again in the morning. As well as a little young again in the evening.

The weruva cans are mostly 110 calories each (6oz) can. Both my cats are 10lbs exactly. Daily requirement for each of them to maintain weight is around 200 calories. I can't afford to give them 2 cans each a day so I was going to try the 50/50 thing

I've never used dry food so I'm not sure how long it will last

This just worries me a little https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/phone/5022-cat-food.html
According to the Young Again website feeding guide  each of your cats would get appx  3.5 Tbs ( almost 1/4 cup ) per day . The Zero Carb has 610 calories per cup so appx 152 calories per 1/4 cup ..  Per those guidelines an 8 lb bag would last you about 52 days if you fed only the YA .. 

http://www.youngagainpetfood.com/tools/consumptionCalculator.php

Last edited: