Young Again Cat Food And Prop 65 Warning

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I received a new bag of food this month and there was a Prop 65 warning ⚠ label on the bag. I ve been feeding this food for 2 years and this is the first time this has been on there. I contacted the owner Michael and he explained that basically it is on there to protect the company from frivolous lawsuits. I researched the ingredients and can t find any listed on the P 65 web site. Has anyone feeding this food received a bag with this warning on it ?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Prop 65 warnings are on a lot of items. I am not saying that you should not research this, but walk through Trader Joe's sometimes and read all the warnings on human items like balsamic vinegar.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like they are future proofing the packaging in case something changes?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We also noticed that warning on the last bag we received. But to be honest, we didn't think too much about it at the time, because we've run into similar CA Prop 65 warnings re: other products, such as coffee, chocolate, potato chips, canned fruits and vegetables, cookies and other baked goods, breakfast cereals, some fruit juices, etc. Someone even told me they saw a CA Prop 65 warning on one of those notices on the back of a hotel room door where they post all that other stuff.

So since we live along the upper Texas coast in the shadow of a bunch of petrochemical refineries and other chemical processing facilities, we just figured our kitties were more at risk from that sort of thing on a daily basis than any cat foods that include that CA Prop 65 warning, which may or may not be from an abundance of overcaution. :wink:

But should more information become available about specific products we feed our cats, we'll certainly give it serious consideration. :)

xdcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Done with this company. I just noticed the warning as well. Not a fan of companies giving blanket vague answers like “to protect the company.” Their explanation of the soft stinky stools due to high protein content makes no sense either. My cats have been on height protein diet for years, including homemade 100% meat + supplements. Can’t get higher protein than that & they never had soft stinky stool unless we tried a new canned food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I researched all the ingredients on the packaging and only 1 was on the list Cobalt Sulfate. Michael said they have removed it and when I looked at the ingredients on the WebSite it was no longer there there. If you look at the list even coconut oil is on there.
I feed my kitty mostly canned and homemade but like some kibble to tide him over sometimes. He only gets 1-2 T a day.

xdcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now I’m incensed. My bag delivered last week still lists cobalt. Don’t appreciate them off loading off product to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From what Michael told me the formula has changed but they are using up the old bags and the warning is on the bag. You can call and speak with him and see what he says and how you feel about it. Only way to know for sure what is in our kitty ‘s food is to make it ourselves.