You Might Want To Plant Tomatoes

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like tomatoes. When I eat them I have to cut them up in pieces and be sure there are no seeds.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sliced tomatoes in vinaigrette, yum. That is about the only way I eat fresh tomatoes although I use lots in cooking. We used to can dozens and dozens when I was growing up. Kind of a miserable job but much better than store bought.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sliced tomatoes in vinaigrette, yum. That is about the only way I eat fresh tomatoes although I use lots in cooking. We used to can dozens and dozens when I was growing up. Kind of a miserable job but much better than store bought.
A tomato sandwich. Soft white bread, fresh tomatoes and mayo. S&P if you want. So simple yet so good. Of course then there is the iconic BLT.

I love a good, ripe tomato on sandwiches, salads etc but am not a fan of tomato sauce if it has chunks in it. I cannot stand if slices or chunks of tomato are put on a pizza before it's cooked. It's a textural thing I think. They become not firm or soft and warm tomatoes are just weird. Warm because it was out on the vine getting love from the sun? YES. That's a good thing. Warm because it spent a few minutes in a loveless too hot oven? NO.

As much as I love a good tomato on a sandwich, I will almost always pass on it when getting a fast food type sandwich or salad because more often than not, their tomatoes are not fresh or ripe enough and they taste like sadness and disappointment.

So I do like tomatoes, I'm just very picky about them. I've gotten a sub from Publix and instead of them adding tomatoes that they had back in the deli, I've gone to the produce section, found a good one and then sliced it up and added it to the sandwich myself. They have good subs but all the veggies get to the deli presliced and prepackaged in plastic bags or tubs. NO ONE wants a pink tomato or a mushy overripe one on their sandwich.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We have about 20 tomato plants in the garden. They're all in pots and well over 6' tall now. Most of them are pregnant. The Sweet Million grape tomatoes (12 plants) are covered with tomatoes in all stages from blooms to ripening ones. The romas are a bit slow to get going but they're working on it. Now, if we can only avoid the leaf-footed bugs...

The hot peppers are producing and the herbs have gone crazy. The herbs are like zucchini; I'm giving them away to anyone who'll take them. Friends are already starting to avoid me. That's OK. Most of the neighbors are at work during the day and they all have porches. Oops. A lot of them have Ring systems. Drat!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have about 20 tomato plants in the garden. They're all in pots and well over 6' tall now. Most of them are pregnant. The Sweet Million grape tomatoes (12 plants) are covered with tomatoes in all stages from blooms to ripening ones. The romas are a bit slow to get going but they're working on it. Now, if we can only avoid the leaf-footed bugs...

The hot peppers are producing and the herbs have gone crazy. The herbs are like zucchini; I'm giving them away to anyone who'll take them. Friends are already starting to avoid me. That's OK. Most of the neighbors are at work during the day and they all have porches. Oops. A lot of them have Ring systems. Drat!
Just wear this when doing your deliveries. They will never recognize you. :lol:

www.amazon.com/NEWCOSPLAY-Costume-Sleepsuit-Onesies-Pajamas/dp/B06Y428LJK/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=cat+kigurumi&qid=1557894775&s=gateway&sr=8-5

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The hot peppers are producing and the herbs have gone crazy. The herbs are like zucchini; I'm giving them away to anyone who'll take them. Friends are already starting to avoid me.
Offer them to a local food pantry? Or ask if you can put up a flyer there to advertise your extra produce. There are a lot of food insecure people out there and those who live in "food desert" areas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My dad and I used to go out to the tomato patch with a salt shaker and sit and munch on tomatoes. Just sit and munch and talk. It was actually pretty cool and I enjoyed it. I like to think he did, too. I stopped in at my parents' house one night after work. "Where's Dad?" "Out in the garden." I walked out back and there he was. Smack dab in the tomato patch. And I joined him, work clothes and all. We'd pick the tomatoes, rub them on our pants, do a wee sprinkle of salt and bite in.

A tomato sandwich is the essence of summer. White bread, mayo, salt and pepper. That's it. Nothing else. Yum. Another favorite of my dad and me. And I dearly love BLTs. Only with garden tomatoes, though. Best for sandwiches.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too funny. There was an article on MSNBC this morning on research done on why store tomatoes don’t taste anything like home grown. The jist of it is that in the quest for bigger, easier to grow tomatoes flavor has been inadvertently bred out. Here is the link

Scientists discover why grocery store tomatoes don’t taste like anything
Also, store tomatoes have to be picked when green or they'll spoil before they get anywhere. And that ruins the flavor of even the best tomato.

I have one plant in a pot that I bought at Costco. Last year the one I bought got rust (?) disease (turned orange and died). The year before that I planted a few in the ground and none of them produced, although the plants grew well. Any tips for potted tomatoes? Or neglected tomatoes? I'm not going to till up a whole area or weed them or anything. I just want to plop some plants in the ground and let them go wild.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you pot or plant the tomato in ground, you plant it very deep, it’s not like planting flowers. With tomatoes you bury at least half or a little more of the stalk. So if you use a pot, use a really deep one. Other than that, they need to be in full sun and they will eventually need some kind of support like a trellis or a ring. I always used miracle grow or similar fertilizer too.

I have never had a tomato plant not produce although I have lost many a tomato to wildlife. It might be a poor sunlight issue you had, not sure.

Last edited:

Michael G2

C J Michael's handsome boy.
Kitten
Purraise
Your curious kitty may want to snack on your tomato plants, either grown indoors or in your outdoor garden. Tomato plants can be toxic to cats. Keep your pets away from these plants, especially the leaves and stems, which contain most of the toxins. You’ll notice the following symptoms after your cat has eaten from a tomato plant: Excessive salivation, Lack of appetite, Diarrhea, Extreme stomach upset and vomiting, Drowsiness Confusion Behavioral changes, Central nervous system, depression Apathy Physical weakness, Slowed heart rate, Enlarged (dilated) pupils.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Also, store tomatoes have to be picked when green or they'll spoil before they get anywhere. And that ruins the flavor of even the best tomato.

I have one plant in a pot that I bought at Costco. Last year the one I bought got rust (?) disease (turned orange and died). The year before that I planted a few in the ground and none of them produced, although the plants grew well. Any tips for potted tomatoes? Or neglected tomatoes? I'm not going to till up a whole area or weed them or anything. I just want to plop some plants in the ground and let them go wild.

Buy a bag of potting soil and dig out the dirt where you want to plant them. Dump the bag of dirt into there. Plant the tomatoes on their sides so only the top sticks out...it will help the roots grow stronger and believe it or not it will grow bigge . Water regularly. Make sure direct sun for 8 hours or more.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Your curious kitty may want to snack on your tomato plants, either grown indoors or in your outdoor garden. Tomato plants can be toxic to cats. Keep your pets away from these plants, especially the leaves and stems, which contain most of the toxins. You’ll notice the following symptoms after your cat has eaten from a tomato plant: Excessive salivation, Lack of appetite, Diarrhea, Extreme stomach upset and vomiting, Drowsiness Confusion Behavioral changes, Central nervous system, depression Apathy Physical weakness, Slowed heart rate, Enlarged (dilated) pupils.

I called my vet asking about this and she said the leaves are not poisonous. She said it will cause discomfort but the poisonous part are green tomatoes. So yes most cats don't find tomato plants appealing. ...unless one has a Honeybee who I've built a guard to keep her away from them in the house .

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was gardening, I discovered that I was allergic to the tomato plants, themselves; not tomatoes..

There is a substance from the tomato branches, leaves which can cause an allergic reaction to some people... who knew???

Love Fresh Garden Tomatoes.. nothing like them.. at one time, I had 12 tomato plants of 3 different varieties and one huge cherry tomato plant.. I was giving away tomatoes that year, plus making fresh sauce and freezing tomatoes.. after blanching..and peeling..

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am too. . .not badly, just a rash. I try to be careful not to reach in the leaves too much and wear gloves if I have to do more than just pick a tomato.