You Might Want To Plant Tomatoes

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Too funny. There was an article on MSNBC this morning on research done on why store tomatoes don’t taste anything like home grown. The jist of it is that in the quest for bigger, easier to grow tomatoes flavor has been inadvertently bred out. Here is the link

Scientists discover why grocery store tomatoes don’t taste like anything
I live in an apartment now so no garden. I will occasionally buy the little grape tomatoes at the grocery store but that is it. I got spoiled growing up on a farm. We always had a huge garden. No produce bought in a grocery store comes close. I will buy in season produce at farmer's markets.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went to a vegetable packing house one time and they were boxing the green one's and culling the ripe one's.
There are varieties that can be grown in containers on the patio.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I found some really good priced growing lights on Amazon. Evidently with the new growers of marijuana there has been a market opening of reasonable priced grow lights. I bought the 27 dollar double light on Amazon and so far it seems to be helping. I did do some research and found fluorescent lights 5000 to 6500 Kelvin and 2000-3000 lumins will work for a grow light. The light has to be 6 inches or so away. It's kind of a pain to look for these bulbs but next year my office is going to be converted. I have to throw out a ton of stuff, pull up carpet, call carpenter and get a quote for a window on the south wall.

The tomatoes in the bathroom are doing ok. The new leaves shriveled up because I overwater the plugs..i let it sit in water too long. But I think once I get them outside friday etc when it warms up they will be ok. I did buy a 2nd grow light but it's a long 4 foot one. Will use that next year. Anyways I have a bad habit of making big plans then never get it done...

Here's the top of one of them yesterday. So far no grow light on them...just the 4 x 4 skylight overhead seems to give enough light.

20190514_054108.jpg

20190515_040814.jpg

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EMSCO-GROU...H-Earth-Brown-Resin-Raised-Garden-Bed/3341626

Found this link from a coworker who placed her order today for plants from me.

Looks like a good idea if you have a deck that is part sun/shade. It is self watering and you just fill it up with water. It's on sale at Lowe's for $20 until End of May. I am going to get one and try it out. Our deck is in full sun so the maters will love it. Gonna grow one of each of my tomato plants in it- Roma, Summer Pik and Mountain hybrid. The Summer gets 6 feet tall! So will keep you all posted!