Yet another litter box question

chloenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I know litter box problems are a popular question around here. I have a female cat that is probably about 13 years old. I cannot be sure as I took her in as a stray. Several years ago she started peeing outside the litter box. I have not seen her P in different spots of the house, usually just right outside of the box. Believe me, she goes to the vet and she has been checked for everything. Her kidneys are failing just a little at this time. Nothing to even intervene with medication. She is a little bit of a strange bird in that she requires constant attention, wants to sit on your face instead of your stomach etc. The vet said it looks like she licks the for off of her stomach and after further questioning etc. he said it sounds like she is neurotic. As a last resort she was given chlomipramine (kitty Prozac) it helped a little bit but not much is she still goes outside the litter box. I've gone through the whole list that you are supposed to do to help account with litter box problems. I don't have boxes with covers, I have multiple boxes in multiple locations and have some different litter in different boxes? No heavily scented litter, no liners in the boxes, most are in very private areas, use cat attract in some etc. She still peas outside the box in front of it about a foot and a half away. My friend gets me hospital bed pads and I put them on the floor and that's what she peas on. I guess I should be grateful that she is peen on these pads but I don't know why and I've tried everything. She doesn't particularly in one room and if she uses the litter box, which is rare in any other room, she doesn't P outside the box. In our old house she did the same thing, our litter boxes were in the laundry room and she constantly Peed right in front of them. I have low entry boxes even! I don't know what to do already as it seems I have covered everything that all the veterinarians and behaviorists tell you what to do. Anyone else do everything you are supposed to be doing and still have this problem?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm going to bump this thread up for you to see if someone can give some insight on this.

I haven't really had this experience with my cats, except with a 19 year old I had, and I know that was old age and arthritis, poor old boy.  I, too, felt lucky that at least he went on the puppy pads I put down.  

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@Chloenkitty

Read somewhere in Catsite that says when older cats pee outside the box could be due to some medical reasons like Arthritis or Hip displacement.
So not sure if these ailments are restricting her movements to climb in and out the litter box.

Last edited:

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
our cat is 17 with feline kidney disease, and he occasionally went outside the box but near it, but recently he has started going outside the box most of the time.  the box was on a large plastic tray made to under a large dog kennel.  suspecting HK was having trouble getting into the box, i started putting litter on the tray, and he's been going on it for the last few days and hasn't gone elsewhere since i did that.  maybe you could try putting the pee pads on a large tray and see how it works out.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

our cat is 17 with feline kidney disease, and he occasionally went outside the box but near it, but recently he has started going outside the box most of the time.  the box was on a large plastic tray made to under a large dog kennel.  suspecting HK was having trouble getting into the box, i started putting litter on the tray, and he's been going on it for the last few days and hasn't gone elsewhere since i did that.  maybe you could try putting the pee pads on a large tray and see how it works out.
That's a very clever idea!