Wound Behind Cat's Ear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat still keeps on scratching behind his ear, and I'm afraid that it might infect the wound, make it worse, etc.. Is there anyway to prevent him from scratching it?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat still keeps on scratching behind his ear, and I'm afraid that it might infect the wound, make it worse, etc.. Is there anyway to prevent him from scratching it?
Trim his nails if it's not trimmed already. I would also wipe his paws with something gentle. If you have wet wipes for paws?

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Panting can be from anxiety, or a number of other things. If he doesn't do it all the time, consider what is going on when it happens. Make a diary/journal of when he does it and what is going in when it happens. That will help you to see a pattern that you could then discuss with the vet.

There are all sorts of calming products on the market to help with this. But, not all cats respond to all of the different products, so there is some experimentation involved. The vet can prescribe a low dose of Gabapentin that works on many cats. There are also things like Bach Rescue Remedy, which are drops you can rub into a cat's ear to help calm them. Some people use Feliway sprays. You can do a search on the internet for "cat calming products' and see what you might want to try.

Sometimes, something as simple as a dab of butter/margarine from your finger, or on his paw, is enough to help with hairballs. You can try that a few times a week and see if that helps.
So i just put butter on his paw?
How often?
Daily?
Or when he's grooming?

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everybody's help so far ♥
I have another issue. I recently bought "Pretty Litter", a litter that will change different colors when it detects abnormalities in a cat's urine. For the first few weeks, his urine was yellow, meaning it was normal. Suddenly it changed to blue, meaning that he has " High Alkaline". Is there any way to help without taking him to the vet? My cat is traumatized from his last visit to the vet, and I don't want to stress him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keeping his nails trimmed, as already stated; making sure the wound is kept clean; and applying something to help soothe/heal the wound are about your only options. Other than that, you would have to consider making him wear a cone to help stop him from being able to reach the wound with his nails.

So i just put butter on his paw?
How often?
Butter or margarine on your finger or his paw. Start out doing it 2-3 times a week - it doesn't have to be while he is grooming. Find a time that works for you and give it to him then.

Suddenly it changed to blue, meaning that he has " High Alkaline". Is there any way to help without taking him to the vet? My cat is traumatized from his last visit to the vet, and I don't want to stress him.
More water, more wet food and less dry food. A higher alkaline level means his PH balance is not acidic enough, and more hydration is the first thing to do. But, you will need to keep an eye out on him, as a higher alkaline level can also suggest an infection or possible kidney issues. But, first off get more moisture in him and see if the litter returns to normal color.

Set out more water dishes for him, and if he eats dry food see if he will still eat it if you add some water to it.