Wound Behind Cat's Ear.

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was meowing aggressively, trying to get my attention. He was biting me really hard, and it wasn't love bites, or play bites. I first thought he was hungry so gave him some food, but he refused to eat it. I then noticed a bright red dot behind his ear. It was bleeding, but quite small. I don't know how it got there. Maybe he was scratching behind his ear, or some sort of bug bit him. There has been fruit gnats in my house lately. Could've one bit him, or is the wound too big?
IMG_0089.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Do any of you know how this happened?
How to ease the pain?
Make it better?

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
since it is so close to his ear, I would take him to the vet if you can.
Unlike with people I haven't noticed that head wounds on cats bleed
that much more than other wounds.

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks to me like it's from scratching his ear, but it could be a number of things. Until you get him to the vet, it's impossible to be sure. Good luck and keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
since it is so close to his ear, I would take him to the vet if you can.
Unlike with people I haven't noticed that head wounds on cats bleed
that much more than other wounds.
I can't currently take him to the vet right now. Is there anyway to clean the wound, stop the bleeding, or ease the pain?

Thanks for helping ♥

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, then watch it for swelling. It probably doesn't hurt too much, or won't shortly. I would use warm water on a soft cloth and wash it
off just like you'd do for a similar scratch on you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Or, until you can get him into the vet's, you can try a chamomile tea bag (grocery store variety which are usually German - you don't want English - and should contain no additives). Brew a tea bag in water, cool the liquid, and then dab it on the sore multiple times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties.

Last edited:

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or, until you can get him into the vet's, you can try a chamomile tea bag (grocery store variety which are usually German - you don't want English - and should contain no additives). Brew a tea bag in water, cool the liquid, and then dab it on the sore multiple times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties.
I currently don't have any of those. Would "Roman Chamomile" Essential oils work?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I currently don't have any of those. Would "Roman Chamomile" Essential oils work?
I don't know enough about the above, so my gut reaction would be no - they are likely not interchangeable, and could be toxic.

There is some controversy (among members) over the use of Neosporin, but you can try using that if you have any, after cleaning it. Just don't use the Neosporin with pain meds in it.

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know enough about the above, so my gut reaction would be no - they are likely not interchangeable, and could be toxic.

There is some controversy (among members) over the use of Neosporin, but you can try using that if you have any, after cleaning it. Just don't use the Neosporin with pain meds in it.
It's already late out from where I'm from, so I can't go out and buy any Neosporin :(
I have no Chamomile Tea Bags, and Essential Oils are toxic to cats. What should I do now? I already washed his wound with a towel and some warm water. His wounds look cleaner now, and it stopped bleeding, but my cat still looks miserable. He slept for 1 hour, won't even play with his favourite toy and lays down all the time. I can't stand to see him like this :(

Thanks for everybody's help so far ♥

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think there could be more to this wound if he is acting that badly. But, remember, maybe he is sensing your concern and acting to that as well.

Don't let him outside, watch to make sure he is eating/drinking adequately, and using his litter box. And, if he is a loving cat, give him lots of that!!!

You can try antibacterial/antiseptic soap, but for right now if the wound is clean and not bleeding, I would give him some time without you bothering him more in terms of the wound.

You can't make it go away that fast, so give it some time before you bother his wound anymore.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stay calm. Cats pick up on our feelings. If he feels your stress he will become stressed. I know it's hard, but try to remember the last time you got a skinned knee. It hurt, you cleaned it, it hurt, then slowly it
started to hurt less. Unless you touched it, then it starts hurting again. It just takes time.

Do you have any treats he likes?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or you could let your cat curl up on your lap or on your bed and read to him. Doesn't matter what as long as you keep your voice fairly
even, no excitement riffs. They like being read to and it will help him fall asleep.

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think there could be more to this wound if he is acting that badly. But, remember, maybe he is sensing your concern and acting to that as well.

Don't let him outside, watch to make sure he is eating/drinking adequately, and using his litter box. And, if he is a loving cat, give him lots of that!!!

You can try antibacterial/antiseptic soap, but for right now if the wound is clean and not bleeding, I would give him some time without you bothering him more in terms of the wound.

You can't make it go away that fast, so give it some time before you bother his wound anymore.
Thank you so much. Reading all your messages make me feel a lot better :)

By the way, do any of you know about cat panting? My cat (the same one with the wound) started panting a few months ago. He would pant for a little bit after some exercise, or he would just randomly pant for no reasons at all. I fear this might be a respiratory condition. I went to the vet to check up on my cat, a few months ago. He said my cat looked fine, but if he continued to pant, we would have to do the X-RAY. I want to take it to confirm that he is fine, but it is bad for his health and could cause cancer, etc. I needed some time to think so i went home with my cat. In the car, he started panting. He pants whenever i take him in the car to drive to a petstore.
Also sometimes when driving in the car with my cat, he barfs. The road is a little bumpy, so I understand why. Do you know anything that can prevent barfing in the car?

ALSO... Do you happen to know anything about preventing furballs? My cat started to puke out furballs lately and he refuses to eat catgrass. Any other methods you know to prevent furballs?

All help is appreciated ♥
(I know this a lot of questions, sorry :) )

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stay calm. Cats pick up on our feelings. If he feels your stress he will become stressed. I know it's hard, but try to remember the last time you got a skinned knee. It hurt, you cleaned it, it hurt, then slowly it
started to hurt less. Unless you touched it, then it starts hurting again. It just takes time.

Do you have any treats he likes?
He barely wants to eat his favourite treats after he got his wound :(
He still eats his food though.

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or you could let your cat curl up on your lap or on your bed and read to him. Doesn't matter what as long as you keep your voice fairly
even, no excitement riffs. They like being read to and it will help him fall asleep.
My cat barely likes to sleep on my lap or bed. He sleeps under the bed or on his cat tower :(
I feel like he doesn't like me? He used to sleep with me as a kitten, but now he doesn't.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By the way, do any of you know about cat panting?
Panting can be from anxiety, or a number of other things. If he doesn't do it all the time, consider what is going on when it happens. Make a diary/journal of when he does it and what is going in when it happens. That will help you to see a pattern that you could then discuss with the vet.

Do you know anything that can prevent barfing in the car?
There are all sorts of calming products on the market to help with this. But, not all cats respond to all of the different products, so there is some experimentation involved. The vet can prescribe a low dose of Gabapentin that works on many cats. There are also things like Bach Rescue Remedy, which are drops you can rub into a cat's ear to help calm them. Some people use Feliway sprays. You can do a search on the internet for "cat calming products' and see what you might want to try.

Do you happen to know anything about preventing furballs?
Sometimes, something as simple as a dab of butter/margarine from your finger, or on his paw, is enough to help with hairballs. You can try that a few times a week and see if that helps.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, he still loves you. Many cats show their love by being in the same room with you. Not touching. It's an individual thing. If he's under the bed or in the tower you can just be with him. Be calm, send calmness and soothing thoughts around you.

Most vets and doctors (for people) assure us that one or two x-rays a year are not harmful.

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another Question,
What is a toothpaste you recommend for brushing a cat's teeth? My cat hates brushing his teeth, and the current toothpaste is really hard to work with, and sticks everywhere.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you have as antiseptic or over the counter ointment at home? Povidone-Iodine, maybe? Call the vet clinic and tell them if any would be OK to use. (Some are OK to use both on humans and cats but only a few.)

I like beaphar dental products. And BioLine. Since I can't brush Hima's teeth because her gums are too sensitive right now, I use beaphar Tooth Gel (no brushing needed with that). It has liver flavour, she loves it.