Would this be a bad reason to put my cat down

Nick1302

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 15 year old manx. I took her to the ver recently, and the vet said she is slightly underweight, and recommended a blood panel is done for hypothyroidism. I will get the results in a couple days. Now, shes been an outdoor cat all of her life, with acces to the garage for food, and water, but she always prefers being outside during the day, and sometimes night. If I have to give her medication everyday, than I would have to keep her inside 24/7. I can usually catch her in the morning, and sometimes at night, but it's not a garuntee. Shes dissapeared for days at a time before, and I couldn't risk that happening when she needs her meds everyday, and I'm pretty sure shed be miserable locked inside for the rest of her life. My mom suggested if that's going to be the case, then we might need to pit her down, so shes not miserable for her last days, but o dont know. Do you think shed get use to being locked inside eventually?

christfawk

Keeps hobblin' along
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before you make that decision I would do a "trial" of her staying in the house. If she were an indoor cat I would say absolutley do not put her to sleep, hyperthyroidism is very treatable, however I understand the difficulty being an outdoor cat. If she is truly miserable inside, while she probably has a decent prognosis if she has no joy by her standing I would say yes, spare her suffering.

I do have one other suggestion, my boss had a hyperthyroid cat that was given a slow release "patch" in the ear for her medication, I would definitely do some research into that as it may allow her to continue her outdoor adventures while treating the disease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nick1302

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you think the signs would be that shes miserable inside? Constant meowing at the door I'm sure, what else?

christfawk

Keeps hobblin' along
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do you think the signs would be that shes miserable inside? Constant meowing at the door I'm sure, what else?
I've never allowed my cats outside so it's difficult for me to say but I would say hiding, screaming, scratch at the door and also a refusal to use the litterbox. I would definitely invest in feliway diffusers to help calm her while she is indoors. What this comes down to is she is your cat, and I'm sure knowing her all these years you'll be able to tell if she is miserable.

Hopefully someone with indoor/outdoor cats can give you a better idea.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also try taking her out for a walk on a leash. If she needs medication all her life from now on, you might perhaps get her use to stop by every morning and evening with the leash too. If she’s not happy with leash walks that is.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She might adapt to being inside fairly well. The first two weeks would likely be the hardest, that's usually how long it takes for cats to adapt to a change. Give it up to a month before deciding she really is miserable in case she is slower to adapt. A cat tree near a window (preferably a open one with a screen) can help her adjust. That way she can still see outside and smell outside without being outside. My cats are indoor/outdoor with a curfew and my boy doesn't settle well at night without his window perch. You can also turn on the TV with an cat TV video playing (or YouTube cat video). My vets office plays the cat videos on loop in the waiting room both for the cats waiting and for their kitten kennel of adoptable kittens (cat only vet).

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
One of my girls is on meds every 12 hours and goes outside. I give her meds in the morning and she doesn't go outside till like 9am and usually comes in around 4 or 5ish... if you need to do meds=try giving treats or a tasty meal after meds-your kitty will associate pill time with a tasty meal-cats or rather most pets are food driven...setting up a set schedule of treats at meds time-will make it easier to medicate...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would be surprised how well they can adapt. She will be safer, warmer, treated indoors. It certainly doesn't hurt to try. If she doesn't like it, try leash walks and other things mentioned above. But try. If she is truly miserable then ok.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Outdoor cats transition successfully to indoor cats all the time. It takes a bit of patience on your part, but it can be done! This will help:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would definitely think about the suggestions offered and see what works. I have had hyperthyridic cats and it is not a condition which is hard to treat or manage and they can go on for years. Fiona was diagnosed at about 14 and lived to almost 17.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nick1302

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would definitely think about the suggestions offered and see what works. I have had hyperthyridic cats and it is not a condition which is hard to treat or manage and they can go on for years. Fiona was diagnosed at about 14 and lived to almost 17.
Is the medication expensive, or does it just depend on what treatment your cat needs. To be honest, it's not even my cat, it's my moms. She never took it to the vet, and refused to, so I did. The vet said she needs to be tested for hyperthyroidism. I havnt gotten the results back yet, but my mom said there is no way shes paying for treatment. I guess shed rather let her cat die a painful death than treat her.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the medication expensive, or does it just depend on what treatment your cat needs. To be honest, it's not even my cat, it's my moms. She never took it to the vet, and refused to, so I did. The vet said she needs to be tested for hyperthyroidism. I havnt gotten the results back yet, but my mom said there is no way shes paying for treatment. I guess shed rather let her cat die a painful death than treat her.

My cat was on medication for hyperthyroidism and it was dirt cheap. It is a very treatable condition, and you will want to treat it because it can be very hard on a cat's heart if it is left untreated.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a cat that had that had been an indoor/outdoor cat prior to us adopting him. He acclimated to indoor only life with no problem at all. One of our other cats was rescued living outdoors and we have no idea how long she'd been living on the street but she too, had no issue adapting to indoor life only.

Our boy developed HyperT later in life and the meds were super cheap and easy to administer to him. He needed only a small dosage so the pill was able to be cut into 4ths and we'd hide that small piece in a little bit of cream cheese (which he adored) or wrapped into a little piece of deli ham or roast beef (he was allergic to poultry or we would have used that). Easy peasy.

Some cats are able to go through radiation treatment for the illness but he wasn't a candidate due to his age and other concurrent illnesses. The pills worked really well for him.

I agree with others that it's worth giving bringing him indoors a try. You might be surprised. I think our cats were relieved to be safe and sound finally.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 15 year old manx. I took her to the ver recently, and the vet said she is slightly underweight, and recommended a blood panel is done for hypothyroidism. I will get the results in a couple days.
I think that it will be HYPERthyroidism, not HYPO, which is rather rare in cats.
Anyway, if this should be the case, yes, you should lock her indoor for the rest of her life. The meds for treating her hyperthyroidism have to be taken at precise times of the day and every single day.
Skipping one or two doses could be not ideal.

There's always the option to have her treated with the radio-iodine, it's a one-off treatment and once treated and kept safe inside for a couple of weeks, she could go back to her usual outdoor life.
Of course, you can also keep your cat inside for good, it's safer for her. My cats were used to go in and out, till the day that I shut the door closed and they didn't go out anymore. After a few weeks they adapted to their new life, and I would lead them out with harness and leash, which was good for all of us.

There's no need to put a cat down just because she has to take daily meds!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Ive taken in many cats who were outdoor cats-some have to be on daily meds-they adapt really well...you may be surprised..the trick-is a space the cat can claim as their own in the house- a box or a cat tree with a high platform. Some cats like to be up high-some like caves. I have one cat who loves her high rise apartment I made out of a bookcase-the other cat loves caves under the couch and in cubes on the floor...

Find some kind of treats this new cat loves and give them often in the first week or two-to establish a connection-cats are very food driven...with patience it can be done.