Would like to use the front door again

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol we haven't used our front door since last July when our kitten got out and was missing for 2 days. She likes to bolt through any door as soon as it opens ,whether it is a closet, cabinet, the backdoor. We have used the back door since there is a closed porch there and we can get her inside before she escapes.
I see those air cans, do they work? I tried ordering one on amazon but they won't ship to Massachusetts.
How about a deterrent spray?
Any tips on how to train a persistent cat not to bolt.....

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol we haven't used our front door since last July when our kitten got out and was missing for 2 days. She likes to bolt through any door as soon as it opens ,whether it is a closet, cabinet, the backdoor. We have used the back door since there is a closed porch there and we can get her inside before she escapes.
I see those air cans, do they work? I tried ordering one on amazon but they won't ship to Massachusetts.
How about a deterrent spray?
Any tips on how to train a persistent cat not to bolt.....
This is interesting to read. My 9-year-old cat bolts out my apartment door, but it is just into an enclosed hallway, with doors between it and outside, so he can't really go anywhere. He also doesn't really try to escape, just runs a little bit down the hall, then realizes it's not as cool as his mind thought it would be.

I don't like chasing after him, so I often just use my body to block the space. If I am carrying something like a grocery bag, I completely block the gap with the bag as I slowly open the door. Otherwise, I use my leg and try to block the gap as much as possible.

I also always loudly say "get back" as I block him, if he is trying to escape. Over time, I have found he hesitates at least a little bit after I say that.

I realize that this is probably a much more difficult task when involving a kitten. And if my front door was literally to outside, I'd be more worried about it.

Last edited:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
will take time to do depending on how treat motivated your cat is. using treats you can teach/train your cat to sit or stay at a certain area so you can walk out. still ready incase she wants to bolt she is already spayed?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
will take time to do depending on how treat motivated your cat is. using treats you can teach/train your cat to sit or stay at a certain area so you can walk out. still ready incase she wants to bolt she is already spayed?
Are you suggesting dropping treats down in an indoor area as you go out the door? That makes sense, but how to deal with that as you go in?

Although after dropping treats enough as you are leaving, maybe that also will ingrain the behavior. That's an angle I never tried with my cat (see above for my story).

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't used the front or back doors since 2005 when we first got cats. Our protocol is to go and come through the garage and make sure the garage door is closed before opening the door to the kitchen. Shortly after we got our first cats, Swanie turned up missing. I looked everywhere, rattled treat bags, totally on the verge of panic. Then I thought, he couldn't have gotten in the garage, could he? I opened the door and sure enough, there he was. I was so happy to see him and he was happy to see me. We didn't even see him sneak past us and I was very grateful he didn't actually get outside. So not using the two main doors is a small price to pay to make sure our kitties don't escape.

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a door bolter. I ended up getting a short 18" baby gate and honestly that seemed to stop the problem - She's not motivated enough to jump it. We kept it up for about 6 months and she stopped trying.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't used the front or back doors since 2005 when we first got cats. Our protocol is to go and come through the garage and make sure the garage door is closed before opening the door to the kitchen.
I use the garage door to go in and out also. When I have to use the front door or the sliders, I put the cats up in my bedroom, using a few treats to get them to follow me in there. It's just not viable to keep Mingo from bolting out the door. The strange thing is, he is terrified of the outdoors. I suspect it's because there is no roof over his head. If he gets out, he flattens instantly and then I get to pick up a spitting, hissing, clawing cat.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a door bolter. I ended up getting a short 18" baby gate and honestly that seemed to stop the problem - She's not motivated enough to jump it. We kept it up for about 6 months and she stopped trying.
I love this idea, it's so simple and it might just work with some cats. If I didn't live in an apartment, where the outside is a safe hallway, I would try this. Mine is older and less likely to jump higher these days, so it would probably work.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
This seems good advice, esp. as it’s a young kitty. It would be helpful to see a photo of the door, and does it open inward or outward? Can you see kitty getting ready to bolt through the door or is it solid? I sometimes have to stick my cat In a room w/ a sticky door, so it gives him a chance to bolt. But I learned that if I kept a spray bottle of water outside the door, cracked the door, sprayed it into the crack randomly, not directly AT kitty, he never came near the door again. The only other solution I came up w/ was a time consumming process of tacking plastic sheeting around inside of door. A carpenter suggested a folding screen, like the kind ladies dress behind, but I had a feeling kitty could climb that. Don’t know if a second screen door is an option.

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This seems good advice, esp. as it’s a young kitty. It would be helpful to see a photo of the door, and does it open inward or outward? Can you see kitty getting ready to bolt through the door or is it solid? I sometimes have to stick my cat In a room w/ a sticky door, so it gives him a chance to bolt. But I learned that if I kept a spray bottle of water outside the door, cracked the door, sprayed it into the crack randomly, not directly AT kitty, he never came near the door again. The only other solution I came up w/ was a time consumming process of tacking plastic sheeting around inside of door. A carpenter suggested a folding screen, like the kind ladies dress behind, but I had a feeling kitty could climb that. Don’t know if a second screen door is an option.
For me, the door opens inwards, and the storm door opens outwards. The gate is between them. It's metal bars, so the cat can see through it just fine. She just either doesn't realize she can jump over it or doesn't want to bother, lol. Our biggest issue with her was her slipping between feet, and the gate solves that problem - Even if she looks like she wants to jump up, it's much easier to stop that than it is to stop slipping out around feet. We just stepped over the gate when needed.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m a big advocate for Sssat, because it worked so well for me. If Amazon won’t ship, try eBay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she was spayed before we adopted her.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting, yes usually I can see her if she is close , sometimes if she is getting ready to bolt I say stay and stomp my foot slightly . But she is so stinking fast like cheetah fast. I hope it fades as she gets older.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting, yes usually I can see her if she is close , sometimes if she is getting ready to bolt I say stay and stomp my foot slightly . But she is so stinking fast like cheetah fast. I hope it fades as she gets older.
That sounds scary. Like I previously said, Willy is older now, and I live in an apartment where "outside" is an enclosed hallway. I'd be much more worried if "outside" was actually outside, and he was "cheetah fast"... lol.

If there's anything I've learned about cats during the 8 years of owning Willy, it's that you have to try everything before you find the solution to a problem. And sometimes a solution means combining multiple suggestions.

I like the baby gate idea, combined with everything else suggested.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds scary. Like I previously said, Willy is older now, and I live in an apartment where "outside" is an enclosed hallway. I'd be much more worried if "outside" was actually outside, and he was "cheetah fast"... lol.

If there's anything I've learned about cats during the 8 years of owning Willy, it's that you have to try everything before you find the solution to a problem. And sometimes a solution means combining multiple suggestions.

I like the baby gate idea, combined with everything else suggested.
If we are to use the back door forever then thats what we will use. I tried a gate before and she just launches herself over it

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we are to use the back door forever then thats what we will use. I tried a gate before and she just launches herself over it
I am no expert but I'd suggest using gates on both doors, and being consistent with all behaviors related to dissuading her from escaping. Even if one door is safer.

Get your cat used to being blocked from every exit to the exciting outdoor world.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I tought my cat to come when called by cutting up treats in a fanny pack,lock her in the bedroom with me,then click,command. Start with her in front of me then move her farther back. Also,get your cat micro chipped

Last edited: