Would a cat recognize litter mates almost 2 years later?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She will get there She just needs time to learn that she’s safe As her needs keep being met by you she will learn you are safe. Having been at the shelter for a long period of time has to have been hard She is so lucky to have you Talk to her even tho she is hiding. Your soothing voice will be comforting . Every little step will be worth it We are all rooting for her and her sister!
Thank you for the encouragement!

I have been talking to her when I feed her and sometimes just when I'm in the room cause I know shes there.

She actually did come out a little tonight. She ate and looked at me for a second and i blinked and looked away because her eyes were big like she would dart if i looked at her too long. She kept eating which .ade me happy. We had another eye contact for a second or two and i looked away again and she didnt run away that time either.

She even jumped on the cat tree for a second but she jumped right back down when she saw us sitting on the bed.

I feel happy with this that she came out and let me see her tonight :)

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

Update: saw her again this morning! She came out while I was getting ready in the bathroom again. She went to the bedroom door that leads ton the main area and she meowed... then she retreated under the bed but where I could still see her face poking out. Used that to my advantage to give her some blinks and let her see I was the one feeding her.

Not sure what that meow was about, if she was meowing at the other cats, or she could smell the food outside because I just fed them but hadn't fed her yet, or what. I wonder how much they are interacting through the door in general when I'm gone.. There's a blanket rolled up in front of it but I cant stop them from making sounds.

I haven't done any sort of scent swapping giving new kitty their smells, I'm sure she smells them everywhere already. For the resident kitties though I have already started giving them a small blankie (hand towel sized) that smells like her and giving them treats on it. They sniff it and eat the treats. I also started feeding them a foot away from the door so they get used to that. New kitty doesnt get fed by the door yet- her "homework" is just to feel comfy in the room.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Slow progress is still progress. My girl was feral and not big on eye contact either when she first came to us (she will now have a stare down contest with anyone who dares challenge her). I'd recommend just holding a hand at your side when you are sitting near new kitty but dont move it unless she bumps it to move. Rocket wasnt big on petting but slowly warmed to the idea that she could rub against our hands and later that our hands would move when she touched them. It was a step by step progressive thing over time but she basically had to learn that the hands wouldn't grab her if she got near and then that the hands could rub and that was better and finally that hands reaching towards her wasnt a bad thing either.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ugh double posted again :/ This is happening when I go to edit.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion Kieka, I think I will definately do that once she will come out more!

She's definately not feral, but she is really shy. Very quiet. I asked at the shelter how her previous adoption went and if they had anything to say when they took her back and they said they worked at home and were always moving around and with lots of noise and people and she was always frightened and hiding. Never was able to come out of her shell. Our home is pretty quiet and we have a routine that is pretty normal and the same each week, which is good for her. I beleive that with a lot of patience she can be comfortable and come out of her shell more.

I don't expect she will ever be the loud, playful kitty Noodle is, but then again Noodle surprised me too. She was also fearful and shy when we got her. Even a little hissy.

Many of the stories on this forum are very encouraging :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion Kieka, I think I will definately do that once she will come out more!

She's definately not feral, but she is really shy. Very quiet. I asked at the shelter how her previous adoption went and if they had anything to say when they took her back and they said they worked at home and were always moving around and with lots of noise and people and she was always frightened and hiding. Never was able to come out of her shell. Our home is pretty quiet and we have a routine that is pretty normal and the same each week, which is good for her. I beleive that with a lot of patience she can be comfortable and come out of her shell more.

I don't expect she will ever be the loud, playful kitty Noodle is, but then again Noodle surprised me too. She was also fearful and shy when we got her. Even a little hissy.

Many of the stories on this forum are very encouraging :)
Feral and shy sometimes benefit from similar tactics. You might find some tips to help her settle looking at some feral socialization tips.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feral and shy sometimes benefit from similar tactics. You might find some tips to help her settle looking at some feral socialization tips.
Thanks for the advice. I will look up some articles and threads... sounds like a good way to find more specific advice to get her used to things.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: I think kitty is making progress!! She it's getting used to the routine, i think. She is coming ot to eat her meals when she knows I'm here. And I could hear her playing with a jingle ball the hour before I got up this morning.

I decided to try sitting on the floor this morning to set if she would come ot while she could directly see me. She did!!! She came out and was scratching the carpet and and rubbing her face on the ground and getting closer since closer to check me out. After awhile I started softly talking to her. I looked at her and blinked and looked away. After I looked at her she slowly retreated but them came back out. Kept marking things and ate. Her tail was in the air and she purred while marking stuff. Even laid down!!! Played with her ball and purred... I'm so happy
20191107_074843.jpg

I feel really happy with today's progress

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if the cats dont recognize each other...YOU will know. And that will always be special.

Well done by you and your boyfriend....and your landlord.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks both of you :) Yes we are lucky we can keep cats here. Definately no more though. Which is fine because 3 is the magic number ;)

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitty made another big stride last night and this morning. She came out and when I put my hand to the side as Kieka suggested she rubbed her head on me! Then she did it alot, really rubbing her face into it. It was really cute. She still seems to move a little awkwardly, but her tail was up for most of the time. She even purred!!

When she was rubbing my hand so much I did try to give her a little scratch with se seemed to like at first but then
I think she got a little nervous, she hissed a little and slowly retreated. I just stayed still and she came back and kept rubbing. Same thing this morning. She is still just a little scared I think and trying to warn me.

I fed her a bunch of treats this morning when she came up to me.

I could tell seeing and feeling her that she is bony.... her back, shoulderblades feel bony and her paws and legs look bony and her tail. And her nails are overgrown. There's lots of food and scratching posts here though so she should just improve with time. All I could see at the shelter was that her eyes and fur looked dull. :( I'm very glad I got her. She also has really tall ears

20191108_072530.jpg

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Made some slow progress over the weekend. She consistently comes out in the morning and the evening before we feed her, and stays after she ate, rubbing on us and around the room and then she lays down and checks us out before so goes back under the bed.

Shes moving around more when we aren't sitting on the floor with her too. I hear her playing with jingle balls and shes been stashing them in her lair.

She likes to look out the window every morning before she gets fed. She was running when we would wake up and see her but she stayed in the window this morning even though I saw her. She has found the armchair is a comfy bed but still prefers under the bed.

She,d been afraid of us standing, and wouldn't approach when we stood only of we sat. This morning I did get her to come bump my hand while I was standing so that was good. She was nervous about it and kept going back and forth before she finally came up and rubbed my hand. Then she got nervous, hissed a little, went under the bed for a second but then came back out for another rub.

She looks at toys but isnt ready to play with me. And her body is still crouched even if her tail is up. She kind of lurches around crouched in a way I've never seen a lot of the time. She definately still has a long way to go but makes little improvements every day

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is very interested in Noodle and vixen versa. They sit on opposite sides of the door and put paws underneath and stare. No growling . I started feeding them on opposite sides of the door.

I think seeing Noodle and Grey interact with me might help her. Grey acts like he has no idea another cat is in the house but Noodle is very interested. I think they would become fast friends. I want to continue feeding on sides of the door.

What do you think? Should I wait, or get her comfortable with the smell and presence of them and later introduce them before she is 100% with us?

Not sure which way is. Better but seems to me like she could be more comfortable if she is comfortable with the other cats and can observe and learn from their behavior.

Anyone have experience with this, want to share your 2 cents?