Would a cat recognize litter mates almost 2 years later?

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone :)

So, I am wondering if a cat would remember her littermates after almost two years. Noodle was separated from her littermates at about 6 months of age when they were brought to the shelter.

I have been watching the county website and her sister was adopted, but then brought back a couple months later. The shelter said she is shy and needs a cat savvy person to help her come out of her shell and she has been sitting there for about a year waiting for another home. Noodle was shy and scared too but then she came out of her shell with a lot of love, toys, and patience...

For various reasons I really hoped someone else would adopt her but I couldnt help but keep checking to see if she was there. We weren't going to get another cat until we moved to a bigger place, boyfreind felt he had to "put his foot down or I would get a million cats" which although I would say that's not true I understand why he would think that.

But long story short he said for my birthday we can go and get her... and we are planning to go on Saturday when we can get there during their business hours. it might be a bit cramped but we will be moving in a year and a half so it won't be forever and its certainly better than her sitting in a cage.

I am not counting on it and will be separating them and doing an introduction just like with Noodle and Grey Cat, but I am curious if anyone has experience with this. Would she possibly recognize her sister? If so that would be so cool.....

this is her: LANEY

she looks just like Noodle. Strangers would confuse them but this cat has a little white on her face while Noodle has none.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think there’s definitely a change that they could remember each other! Cats have great memories. Check out this story about a cat who was separated from his family during a move, and recognized his people, and littermate, many years later: How Much Do Cats Remember? More Than You Might Think.

But, still, introduce them slowly, and don’t be disappointed if they don’t recognize each other. Please, keep us updated.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I often wonder the same question. I fostered 3, but could only adopt 2. Sable had a waiting list for her (tortie). I haunt the shelter site to see if she ever comes back so I can grab her up. But would her sister's recognize her and allow her in the house?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your replies! I will definitely keep everyone posted. I am really exited. We're going to go get her on Saturday... if she is anything like her sister she will probably hide under the bed for a few days. Im going to be getting everything ready for her until she comes.... crocheting her own kitty blanket like the other two have and gathering a few things that dont already smell like my other cats.

Mazie, I am super exited to bring her home and see the reunion... I just couldnt ignore her since Noodle has been so great and thinking of her sister there in a small cage just kept bothering me. And the fact that someone adopted her and took her back, when she probably just needs patience.

abyeb, thanks so much for posting that article!! I found it very interesting and it gives me hope they might remember each other. Noodle's personality is that she is exited to make freinds with any cats or people she has met so far, so I think she will receive her sister well either way.

Grey cat will be the bigger sell as by nature he is wary of anything and anyone new. But I think it will be good in the end and Noodle will love having a playmate her age.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
accidental double post. Sorry....

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I doubt it. I mean, many cats don't even recognize their friends after they come back from a one day vet visit. But every cat is different and there are stories of cats remembering people and other animals so maybe you will get lucky.

I don't really have any personal experience with separations. We rescued two kittens and gave one to a neighbor, and that cat became an enemy (all indoor/outdoor), but six months presumably gives you a better shot than two separated as young kittens.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know ArtNJ, they probably won't recognize each other, I am happy because the litter mate of Noodle will no longer be spending her life in a shelter with the scary notion that a "god knows what?" may adopt her. At least we know she will be in a loving family, that is what is most important here.:)

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I am not betting on them remembering each other, but I am really curious to see what happens.

I like hearing everyone's honest opinions. I thought about stories of cats not recognizing each other from the vet too... I have never had it happen but I know it can. Looks like cat memories can vary drastically in both directions....

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: Just received her medical records yesterday from the shelter to share with my landlord. It looks like she has had it tough but is healthy. Like Noodle she was brought to the shelter underweight. Then she was adopted. When she came back she had bite wounds and swelling on her lip they said they thought was from rodents. It is a rural shelter so maybe someone got her as a mouser and it didnt work out? Or she was just outside getting into shenanigans hunting mice.

I'm getting our bedroom all set up for her to come home, I'm really exited... I bought a new cat scratcher and window perch for her so there are more cat spaces since there is one more cat.... so exited!! I dont think Im even going to try blocking off the bed because that didnt go well with Noodle.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been told that cats forget after about 3 weeks. But they may remember, Either way, they are reunited and will have a loving forever home which is the most important thing.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well she definitely doesn't remember her. But that's okay. They will have time. I was really blown away when I saw her by how they looked exactly the same. She acted a lot differently on the way home though- really calm/quiet. Im sure she's scared. She was hiding at the shelter and the lady scruffed her and put her in the carrier and she didnt even move or make a peep. They were really glad when we showed up they said they were really hoping we would since she had been there so long. On the way home she was quiet too. At first she faced the carrier wall but then turned around and laid her face by the door. She seemed really comfy and appeared to fall asleep at one point- it was about an hour drive. We put one of those rectangular bolster beds covered by a little blankie in there and she seemed to like it. I got a lot of cute pictures.

20191102_104426.jpg

20191102_112127.jpg

20191102_112840.jpg

When we took her in the cats saw her for a second. I dont think Grey really did, although he smelled her, but Noodle did. I admit I lingered a bit because I was really curious if they would recognize eachother and the lady at the shelter thought they would. Noodle sniffed and had her tail up but then she put it down and growled a little and ran away so I just took her sister to the room we set up.

She just stayed crouched to the ground and went under the dresser and stayed there for 8 hours. Just now she came out to get some water... Im hoping she gets some food too. Im sure she will explore more when we are asleep. She will look at me but doesnt want to approach and that's ok.

i cant get wait to get to know her :) :heartshape:

Here's some pics of Noodle to see how similar they look:
20190729_214044.jpg
20191102_210710.jpg
20190908_100612.jpg

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone :)

So, I am wondering if a cat would remember her littermates after almost two years. Noodle was separated from her littermates at about 6 months of age when they were brought to the shelter.

I have been watching the county website and her sister was adopted, but then brought back a couple months later. The shelter said she is shy and needs a cat savvy person to help her come out of her shell and she has been sitting there for about a year waiting for another home. Noodle was shy and scared too but then she came out of her shell with a lot of love, toys, and patience...

For various reasons I really hoped someone else would adopt her but I couldnt help but keep checking to see if she was there. We weren't going to get another cat until we moved to a bigger place, boyfreind felt he had to "put his foot down or I would get a million cats" which although I would say that's not true I understand why he would think that.

But long story short he said for my birthday we can go and get her... and we are planning to go on Saturday when we can get there during their business hours. it might be a bit cramped but we will be moving in a year and a half so it won't be forever and its certainly better than her sitting in a cage.

I am not counting on it and will be separating them and doing an introduction just like with Noodle and Grey Cat, but I am curious if anyone has experience with this. Would she possibly recognize her sister? If so that would be so cool.....

this is her: LANEY

she looks just like Noodle. Strangers would confuse them but this cat has a little white on her face while Noodle has none.
i think after a prolonged remeet for sure.
my little sisters cat did not see me for almost 10 yrs when i returned home & for the 1st month i was a complete stranger until i picked her up to sit on the couch with me n watch tv together like we used to THEN she 100% remembered me laying on the couch together n started to chew on my hands kicking me with her back feet like she used to in a loving way :)

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are amazing. Watching the website for her and rescuing her is one of the sweetest stories ever. Poor thing a year is a very long time to be confined . I’m so happy for all of you Can’t wait for updates.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! We adopted Noodle June/July 2018, when all of her siblings were there. I'm not sure when she was adopted by the other person, but they took her back in April.... so I guess it hadnt been a full year, but it's still a long time to not have a real home yet. I am really glad we went and got her.

Yesterday she was behind the dresser facing the wall and when my boyfreind talked to her she turned around and looked at him. She came out later while I was on the computer to get a drink and explore but when I turned around she hid. I guess all of this slowly shows her we won't chase her though. I think the more nothing bad happens the more she will get comfy.

She is hiding still today- hasnt eaten breakfast. Had an unfortunate incident in the night where I woke up in the middle of the night to pee, walked over to the other side of the bed where the bathroom is and in the pitch black New Kitty (we are making a list of names but it is hard without knowing her true personality yet) was there. I didnt step on her or anything but she was surprised I was there I think. Instead of running under the bed like I thought she would she jumped on top of it and landed on my boyfreinds face.....needless to say they were both surprised and she ran off the bed and hid and he had some scratches on his neck and chin.... they were very tiny just from her trying to jump away and being scared. But still not the best "interaction."

I think this will be a slow go. But I knew that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
i think after a prolonged remeet for sure.
my little sisters cat did not see me for almost 10 yrs when i returned home & for the 1st month i was a complete stranger until i picked her up to sit on the couch with me n watch tv together like we used to THEN she 100% remembered me laying on the couch together n started to chew on my hands kicking me with her back feet like she used to in a loving way :)
I think cats do remember scents but they need to be relaxed enough to take them in. So just like your sisters cat remembered you after you were close, hopefully this newly adopted cat will, when she is ready to get close to her sister, remember her scent as well.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No just a lot of hiding. She is scared and shy by nature so she needs time to adjust. When I was getting ready this morning she came to check out the bathroom because that door is usually closed. When she saw I was in there she ran away. She comes out and eats when we aren't looking and she is using her litter box fine. I left treats in different spots on the cat tree and windowsill but I dont think shes been brave enough to jump in high places yet.

Right now were just hanging out quietly in the room at night waiting for a day she comes out to check us out

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She will get there She just needs time to learn that she’s safe As her needs keep being met by you she will learn you are safe. Having been at the shelter for a long period of time has to have been hard She is so lucky to have you Talk to her even tho she is hiding. Your soothing voice will be comforting . Every little step will be worth it We are all rooting for her and her sister!