Worried sick during his urinary blockage recovery.

toontastic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In answer to your time question depends on the cat I guess. Floyd was catheterised and sent home (wouldn't eat at Vets) where we had to draw urine from him for a month while the poor guy was in a cage. He then had a bag on to try and allow his bladder to shrink and stay shrunk, that was for another two weeks.
I'm not trying to say all this to scare you, far from it. I'm just trying to explain it will get better just got to keep an eye on him, make sure he goes every 24 hours and like I said I'd get his urine cultured to make sure you're getting right antibiotic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tmariee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thought I'd give an update on Milo for those that are interested.  After speaking with his vet this morning, we decided to bring him in to see if the small amounts he was urinating was actually emptying his bladder, or if he was just urinating a small amount because he was reblocked/partially reblocked.  Good news is his bladder was tiny. So he is able to empty it, he just goes through quite a bit of pain to do so. His 3 day pain shot has worn off, so she's having me continue with Buprenorphine given orally (which I just say is so very difficult to give him). She also decided we should  try to add Meloxicam to add a bit more pain relief, but also to reduce the inflammation that he has left in his penis.  As Meloxicam comes with inherent risks (if he reblocks he needs to be taken off of it immediately, because it could cause kidney failure in a blocked cat), she showed me exactly where/how to feel his bladder (I was feeling the completely wrong spot, haha). This gives me great comfort because now I don't have to sit up all night wondering/worrying if he's reblocked or if he's emptying his bladder. I can just feel it gently.  She also wrote me a prescription for Alprazolan. She is going to call in a couple days to check on him, and we'll decide then if he needs the Alprazolan (She thinks he might be afraid of his litter box, because he might be associating it with the pain of not being able to urinate/only being able to urinate a small amount)

In short, he's doing better today. I even let him out of his confinement for a couple of hours so he could visit with his sister and bask in the sun. He's acting so much better. More like himself.

While we're not out of the woods yet, my vet and I are hopeful, and keeping our fingers crossed.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
What great news!  I was seriously worried about Milo.  These things always seem to happen at night or on the weekend, don't they?  Hopefully things will only get better from here.

toontastic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Brilliant news, I hoped it would be an empty bladder so that's brilliant.