Worried fur-mom

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am worried about my kitty... I adopted my little guy on NYE and he's been nothing short of amazing. He's roughly 10 months old. However, two weeks ago I noticed a bump/lump inside his mouth when he yawned one day. I made an appointment for his vet the next day and was able to bring him by that Saturday. Due to COVID-19, I was unable to go in for the visit. The vet examined him and then reported to me that he (1) has an oral growth and (2) needs a dental exam to evaluate his gingivitis.

My family and I have had cats before, but this guy is my first. I've never experienced any dental issues with cats before so this news didn't come easy. Of course I went straight to Google and couldn't stop reading all the negative things that it could be.. our vet suggested the growth needs to be biopsied and then removed and didn't give much information about gingivitis - long story short, due to the pandemic our vet isn't doing ANY procedures right now so they referred me to a different vet a town over, who can't see me until next week for an initial consultation and then it might be another month or two before the exam / procedure can be scheduled due to limited staff. I completely understand all the limitations due to this pandemic, but I am just so worried about my furbaby.

On top of it, I've been working remotely from home so I feel like I'm over analyzing everything my kitty does.. needed to find a place to vent. Can anyone relate? Or has experienced anything like this before?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
First, good for you that you saw it. Hang in there until you can talk with the second vet. It could be benign, and the gingivitis can be treatable.

tinytangerine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey JC - from another worrier, hang in there. Let us know what the other vet says once you are able to visit. This pandemic is tough and it's so hard to be around our kitties day in/day out - I am definitely overanalyzing every move. Sending love and hope you get your answers next week.

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hear ya, insane anxiety ridden cat mom over here. My guy is sick, and I overanalyze everything and get so upset and nervous from only monitoring just him all day every day I’m not able to eat and have Troubles sleeping. This is not healthy! I went to the vet today and it was a stressful trip for him, and since we’ve gotten back he is barely moving, just laying around, i am SO STRESSED OUT.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey JC - from another worrier, hang in there. Let us know what the other vet says once you are able to visit. This pandemic is tough and it's so hard to be around our kitties day in/day out - I am definitely overanalyzing every move. Sending love and hope you get your answers next week.
Thank you - it is so tough to not over-analyze!

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hear ya, insane anxiety ridden cat mom over here. My guy is sick, and I overanalyze everything and get so upset and nervous from only monitoring just him all day every day I’m not able to eat and have Troubles sleeping. This is not healthy! I went to the vet today and it was a stressful trip for him, and since we’ve gotten back he is barely moving, just laying around, i am SO STRESSED OUT.
I am so sorry to hear you guys is sick; is he going to be okay?
Definitely need to try to take care of yourself as well so you can continue to help him out! Thinking of you!

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear you guys is sick; is he going to be okay?
Definitely need to try to take care of yourself as well so you can continue to help him out! Thinking of you!
Things seem to have gotten worse since the last vet trip, he won’t let me hold him which has never once happened before, he moves away when I try to pet him sometimes. I am literally beside myself, I’ve never been this upset in my life.

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Things seem to have gotten worse since the last vet trip, he won’t let me hold him which has never once happened before, he moves away when I try to pet him sometimes. I am literally beside myself, I’ve never been this upset in my life.
i am so sorry, i hope your baby feels better soon!

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am worried about my kitty... I adopted my little guy on NYE and he's been nothing short of amazing. He's roughly 10 months old. However, two weeks ago I noticed a bump/lump inside his mouth when he yawned one day. I made an appointment for his vet the next day and was able to bring him by that Saturday. Due to COVID-19, I was unable to go in for the visit. The vet examined him and then reported to me that he (1) has an oral growth and (2) needs a dental exam to evaluate his gingivitis.

My family and I have had cats before, but this guy is my first. I've never experienced any dental issues with cats before so this news didn't come easy. Of course I went straight to Google and couldn't stop reading all the negative things that it could be.. our vet suggested the growth needs to be biopsied and then removed and didn't give much information about gingivitis - long story short, due to the pandemic our vet isn't doing ANY procedures right now so they referred me to a different vet a town over, who can't see me until next week for an initial consultation and then it might be another month or two before the exam / procedure can be scheduled due to limited staff. I completely understand all the limitations due to this pandemic, but I am just so worried about my furbaby.

On top of it, I've been working remotely from home so I feel like I'm over analyzing everything my kitty does.. needed to find a place to vent. Can anyone relate? Or has experienced anything like this before?
*** UPDATE:
I took my kitty to his consult on Tuesday; he was able to meet with the vet dentist that my vet had recommended. The information I received from my vet was confirmed; (1) he has an oral growth on the inside of his cheek, and (2) he has juvenile gingivitis. The new vet was extremely nice over the phone (unable to go in due to COVID-19, so it is like curbside service) and took the time to thoroughly explain what it will mean moving forward. Essentially he told me that gingivitis can be tricky and that even with a full dental exam and possibly removing infected teeth (if needed), along with aggressive home dental care (brushing teeth 1x/day), that in 50% of cats the gingivitis will continue to come back and pose a problem, but there is a 50% chance it could go away. If it doesn't go away, kitty will require a dental exam every 4-6 months to monitor the condition.

The vet did not seem too concerned with the oral growth on his cheek - he said in a young cat it is rare to see a growth come back cancerous, but it would be up to me if when it is removed I would want it to be sent to be biopsied.

Unfortunately the day of my appointment, their office did not have access to the internet and their computers were down so I was unable to receive an estimate for both the cleaning and the removal of the growth. I am planning to give them a call either tomorrow or Saturday to ask about estimates / scheduling an appointment for the dental cleaning. Prior to his cleaning, he will need to have blood work completed at his regular vet to assess his vital organ function.

Honestly, I am unsure how I feel at this point.. I am nervous to see how much all of this may end up costing because I know vet bills can be a burden. But, he is still a baby and deserves a chance so I feel obligated to do everything in my power to help him overcome this! If anyone has any experience with juvenile gingivitis, please share - thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not so much experience, but it seems like I've been seeing more members talking about it - you might ask your vet if they're having more kitties showing this issue.

Gingivitis And Stomatitis In Cats

9 Month Old Kitten Has Gingivitis (about the coconut oil Should You Add Coconut Oil To Your Cat’s Food? )
Thank you for those links.
I've tried to do my due diligence with researching and it seems like it is rather common in cats but often times goes undiagnosed until a cat is older. When I initially spoke with the vet during the consult, I did ask how common it was and since he specializes in dental he said they see cases all the time of cats of all different ages.

We were provided with the estimates this week - the price range is steep - but we are going to move forward with our kitty getting the dental exam, and having the growth removed/biopsied. I need to give him the chance to see if it could possibly be reversible if we treat it aggressively at home with tooth brushing and dental treats, etc. so we will see with time! I am just hoping he won't have to have teeth extracted as well, poor baby.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hang in there
Antibiotics can make their tummies hurt...
He seems like he has some fight left in him!

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hang in there
Antibiotics can make their tummies hurt...
He seems like he has some fight left in him!
Thank you.
So he isn't on anything as of yet.. he hasn't had the dental exam/growth removal, it is scheduled for June 15th. Surprisingly his appetite hasn't changed since we first adopted him. He is quite the little pig and will eat his food, in addition to treats.

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*UPDATE 6/15/20:
My kitty had his dental procedure/surgery today -- I was a complete wreck last night and pretty much the whole day today, so nervous. Overall, his vet said he did well; he had a Grade 2 dental cleaning and ended up having two teeth extracted; on his right side, a pre-molar & molar. While under anesthesia, he also had the oral growth excised. We requested that it be biopsied (I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is benign - should receive results within 5-7 business days).

When I picked him up and initially brought him home around 3:30PM, he appeared groggy. Staggered a little when getting out of his carrier and a little while walking around the apartment. However, this evening he is very hyperactive and has quite a bit of energy. Which is not something the vet mentioned? I did a little Googling and it looks like other people have experienced this after anesthesia as well.

Any feedback from other fur-parents with kitty's who have gone under anesthesia for a dental or other procedure?
Thanks so much!