Word aversion: Words that irritate you for no reason

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone have a word that really shouldnt irritae them but does anyways?

For me clowder is one of those words. I can't really explain it but just hearing someone verbaly say it makes my skin crawl and gives me that nails on a chalkboard feeling.

Puss or pussy is another even if being used to affectionetly refer to a cat it just feels wierd

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Hello" if said in a sarcastic way, like they are trying to get your attention or make a point. Centimeters if it is pronounced in a certain way, as if the doctor or nurse is trying to sound as if they are from another country.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aesthetic.

I wouldn't say "no reason" because it typically comes with an element of vanity/snobbery. Somewhat like bougie. But if someone just said they didn't like the way something looked I don't think it would grate like hearing "my aesthetic" this and that all the time.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know both ways are acceptable, however, if I hear someone say "schedule" with the "SH" sound and not "SK" sound, I swear something pops in my head. It's a visceral reaction of loathing and grossness that I just can't explain.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When someone refers to my dog as a "doggo".

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Facetious. I worked with someone who said it. Constantly. And it sounded forced.

This is the same woman who pronounced "centimeter" sant-toe-meter. I never heard her say, "Is there one of those bugs with a million legs crawling across my foot? Let me see...one...two...three! Indeed it is a sant-toe-peed! Look at all his little shoes! Wait. Why are you running?"

I guess I could yell over my shoulder that she mispronounced the name of that awful insect. I don't really correct people and I would have already been too far away for her to here me, anyway. :lol:

Last edited: