Won’t use litter box all of the sudden

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I recently adopted a 4 month old tuxedo kitty. He seemed to adjust fine right away. He eats well and uses the litter box throughout the day. Earlier today, I did a thorough cleaning and disinfecting of the litter box. Now he hasn’t used it since. He hasn’t gone anywhere else in the house that I know of. I’m assuming it’s because it was cleaned and he notices something different. Will he get used to it or should I be worried? He acts just fine otherwise.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi all!

I recently adopted a 4 month old tuxedo kitty. He seemed to adjust fine right away. He eats well and uses the litter box throughout the day. Earlier today, I did a thorough cleaning and disinfecting of the litter box. Now he hasn’t used it since. He hasn’t gone anywhere else in the house that I know of. I’m assuming it’s because it was cleaned and he notices something different. Will he get used to it or should I be worried? He acts just fine otherwise.
:hellosmiley: and welcome top TCS!

According to your observation, you are right. I guess he noticed something new. If he;'s been using the litterbox, later when the smell of the disinfectant kind of wear off little, he may start using it again.

Usually, when come to changing litterbox litter, it's good that you keep some of the cleaner used litter and mix it with the new one so that the familiar scents are still around. Only after several months, to play safe, when he is fully used to the change, then you can change out the whole old to new and also make sure the disinfecting past is not too strong else the smell will linger on for a longer time and that may deter your kitty to use the litterbox.

What I do when I change litter for my boy is I use a little mild detergent and scrub the litterbox and then rinse well and dry. My boy only use one litterbox but he has 3 to standby. So while one is being washed, I can top up the other.

Do you have another spare box without any disinfecting smell the he can use?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! That’s a good idea to mix with a little of the old litter. He’s walked by, sniffed around a little then walks away. I don’t have a spare box unfortunately. I didn’t anticipate any issues, but may need to get one just in case. Hopefully he’ll use it soon!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! That’s a good idea to mix with a little of the old litter. He’s walked by, sniffed around a little then walks away. I don’t have a spare box unfortunately. I didn’t anticipate any issues, but may need to get one just in case. Hopefully he’ll use it soon!
Yes, cats go by scents and any scent that is unfamiliar, they get suspicious. Hopefully he'll use it later. Yes, a spare box is a must.

Do keep us updated.

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats go by scents and any scent that is unfamiliar, they get suspicious. Hopefully he'll use it later. Yes, a spare box is a must.

Do keep us updated.
Hopefully he’ll use it sooner than later. I’ve only had one other cat prior, and she had no issues with me changing anything. I’ll be nervous all night until he goes!

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully he’ll use it sooner than later. I’ve only had one other cat prior, and she had no issues with me changing anything. I’ll be nervous all night until he goes!
As I typed this response he used it! Thank goodness. But I will be going out and getting a spare box as well.