Wondering how to help cosmo

Jlanderson2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat is afraid of strangers I mean very afraid. Even if the door just opens or closes she gets so freaked out because she knows someone else is here. I try to slowly introduce her so she can become desensitized but every step she takes it’s like she takes 10 steps back. Once she sees you a lot like gets used to you she won’t be afraid I just wish I could help her with her fear. Any suggestions.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a Jackson Galaxy video on this situation. I dont love all of his guidance on every issue, and its been many years since I watched this particular video, but I recall thinking it seemed logical:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's not a totally terrible thing for a cat to be nervous around strangers, as that helps prevent them accidentally running out the door when someone opens it. I've read of cat parents who have friends that don't believe they have a cat, as the cat never makes an appearance when there's visitors, so the fact that your girl becomes less afraid once she gets used to someone is pretty good.

Doing a quick site search on "stranger" found several threads.

Here's a couple:
How can I help my cat who's scared of strangers?
Afraid Of Strangers

And here's the link to all of them, thought not every one looks like it would apply to your situation.
Search Results for Query: strangers

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know that desensitizing a cat with an extreme fear of strangers really works. I do know that for me the best solution is to make sure that my cats have plenty of places to hide from guests. Then I just ignore their fearful behavior and wait for them to feel ready to come out. When you cat does feel ready to come out you can have a guest drop a treat for her so she associates them with good things but it is important that they know not to touch or reach for her. And if she chooses to stay in hiding that is okay too.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read of cat parents who have friends that don't believe they have a cat, as the cat never makes an appearance when there's visitors, so the fact that your girl becomes less afraid once she gets used to someone is pretty good.
My Hadji was known as the imaginary cat, because the most anyone saw of him was glowing eyes under the bed.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I would just leave her be. As others said, it’s protective for a cat to stay away from strangers, and better she hides than makes a run for it. You said she comes out once she’s used to people, so just let her go at her own pace, don’t bother her. My Daisy used to hide under the bed whenever Mum’s carers and physios used to arrive, and it’s taken almost two years for her to come out to greet some of them who she sees regularly. I haven’t tried to encourage her at all, I don’t want her door-dashing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jlanderson2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she has a fear of strangers but like she’ll let a stranger approach her if I tell them how to but quickly run away after one or two pets. I don’t mind her being afraid of strangers because it’s in her benefit due to the mistreatment of cats. But I just wish I could help her with some of the things like for example a lot of loud boys my brothers friends were over so she wouldn’t come out the room and go outside for her bathroom break. So I picked her up whilst they were outside so it would be minimal stress but right as I reached the door. They came back inside and all it took was the door opening and she bolted from my arms scratching me really bad. It’s just some things she’s afraid of are everyday things that I can’t avoid from happening she even gets afraid of me sometimes when I do those things(I’ve never hurt her in anyway before to make her fear me). I wonder if something happened when she was a kitten ya know when she was still outside before we found her.