Wits End-Cat Claw Monster from Hades

diverdawne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm hoping that all is well now since it looks like the last post was several months ago. Personally, I hope kitty still has her fingers. :) Kudos for seeking alternatives to declawing.

I've had great success eliminating inappropriate scratching by placing a Purrfect Post Mondo scratcher in the living room. They're expensive, but it has really helped when other types failed. I also have a few horizontal scratchers throughout the house - both carpeted and corrugated. Might be worth a try.

I haven't completely eliminated the chewing, but it happens infrequently now. I have a collection of puppy chew toys and furry or plush stuffed toys that are larger than most cat toys strewn about for her. Trading one of those for the sofa arm, blanket, sweater, curtain, etc. distracts her and redirects the chewing. She seems to prefer the toys she can hold and gnaw.

It also helps to give her a couple feline dental treats after redirecting her. They are very crunchy and it seems to satisfy her.

Hope this helps if you are still looking for options.

walkingrock

Bodie's mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have used soft caps with good results. The best thing I just found; my groomer suggested: she trimmed the nails, them dremmeled them so they wouldn't be sharp, and made them as short as possible without hitting the quick. That has been amazing, and something I wouldn't have thought of doing to a cat. I don't trim them myself! Only one of my boys has a scratching problem, this has fixed that problem!

arcticcat907

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I trim Katherine's claws regularly and that seems to help keep her clawing down a bit. I also find that part of her clawing is really just her being bored. I don't play with Katherine nearly as much as I should and unlike my old cats she's a personality that loves play time. Maybe your cat is just bored and stressed out from it and is always looking for something to do? maybe go adventure cating or make a day or two of the week reserved for an hour of play until she's asking for air.