Wits End-Cat Claw Monster from Hades

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last May, I found an abandoned/lost kitten. The veterinarian said she was a five or six week old female. She was absolutely beautiful and seemed happy to have a caregiver. When I took her home, I had to go through about a month of introductions and assimilation with my one year old male. They had a rough start, I really worked hard at it, and they ended up friends and happy companions. She has had all of her shots, worming, spaying, and on-time check-ups. She is also sweet with a lovely personality. My male is neutered and has been looked after just as well. He is wonderful and loving. They are totally indoors. They have lots of toys and three scratching posts throughout the house. I have two litter boxes and no litter box issues.

This is the problem: I will have had my female a year in May. The whole time I have had her, I have had big chewing AND scratching issues. Examples-Chewed through a phone/answering machine unit and had to be replaced. The replacement was chewed through, too. She almost got a third, but I have it monitored and rigged to make it hard. She has torn wallpaper off of a wall. She has chewed the corner off of a windowsill. She has torn up a shower curtain. She has scratched wood (some antiques) from jumping up and down on things. She has ripped one scratching post up and I constantly have to vacuum the area. She has ripped carpet where carpet meets tile. Very badly in two rooms. Massive eyesores. Done before I could stop it. She has ripped carpet in the entry way to a room and started on another. She has chewed on collectible magazines and book corners. She has pulled and torn an area on an expensive couch from a fine furniture store. I have used sheets to cover entryways and anti-scratch spray. I have also attempted to trim her nails myself (won't let me) and by a professional, but the professional cut doesn't help much for long, if at all. I have thought about the two sided sticky tape, but I can't put it everywhere. That's impossible.

My male doesn't do any of this and didn't for the whole year I had him before she was found. He's modeI. I grew up with cats who were indoor/outdoor and they didn't do any of this. I had a cat for nine and a half years who was declawed. I don't know what she would have done.

I am at my wits end. I don't want to declaw because of what I have learned about it. I don't think I could do it, anyway, because the maie would still have his. Is it possible to transition her to be an outdoor cat? I hate the thought of that because I would worry about her and I would be inside thinking she is scared to death wondering why she is there and confused. I am also in a high stray cat area, but most are spayed/neutered. There is a nearby dog and would hope she would have sense to stay away from him. I would worry about finding her another home via a rescue because someone might be mean to her when she tore something up. Any relatives she could live with have severe cat allergies and can't take her.

Is it ever considered humane to declaw in extreme circumstances? Front claws only?

Is it possible to not declaw and make her outdoors? (We have extreme summer heat.)

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through that! It was very kind of you to take in the kitty and she's lucky to have found someone who is willing to try and work on her behaviors.

It sounds like you've tried a lot of things and I commend you for that. My next suggestion would be soft paw nail covers, I don't have any experience with them but I've heard they work out well for some people. I know that petsmart will usually accept walk in's to apply them and I'd wager other local groomers would as well.

I would not put the kitty outdoors for all the reasons you listed and more. I know there are others who will disagree with me, but I would declaw the cat before putting her outdoors any day.

Some may also suggest rehoming the cat, but unfortunately I think you'd have a very hard time finding another home for her with her behaviors considering there is so many cats in need of homes without behavioral problems.

So I'm really sorry you're in this position, and I know you have a hard decision to make but personally if you exhaust all avenues and can't find any solutions I would declaw the cat so she can have a safe, loving, forever indoor home which is really the goal for all cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips. I have heard of Soft Paws and will look into giving them a try. I've heard they have to be replaced about every three weeks and are expensive. My problem is going to be finding someone who will do it and at a good regular rate.

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

How frustrating!  
  Have you tried any anxiety agents--like Feliway diffusers, or calming treats or collars?  How about play time--does she get lots of interactive play like a wand (DaBird) toy?  

Here's an article that may help, too:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/problem-scratching-and-how-to-stop-it
Thank you. I have tried Feliway, but haven't left it going because of the heat and fire hazard comments I have seen online. I could try a collar. I haven't played with her because I have been home so much lately and she has the other cat. Something makes me think she's a scratcher and is highly claw aware. She even extends claws and grabs with claws when held. I will keep looking and thanks for the response.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite honestly, in this case I don't think de-clawing would help (not that I'd condone even if it did help, but it's especially bad when it doesn't change anything!). I have a de-clawed cat (came that way from previous owners) who shredded a dog bed. Not sure how she did it. But it sounds like your girl uses her teeth a lot. A shredder cat will shred even without claws, and I doubt you'll find a vet who will remove a healthy cat's teeth. . .

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone I know had a cat they confined to a bedroom. She recommended that. I just don't know if that is a good idea. I have a bedroom with attached bath that has a second floor window she can look out of and see. That just seems like no way to live your life. I just think she would be better off outside, if I had to do that.

A rescue told me that if she is 11 months old that she is too old to put outside. What do you think? To me, it would be a good age because she is right at being grown, but not a seasoned adult.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indoor/outdoor is a hotly debated topic. Now, I wouldn't be in favor of making her a fully outdoor cat, never allowing her inside, but if your neighborhood is reasonably safe, I don't think indoor/outdoor is terrible. Her age is fine, just do it gradually. Take her out on leash at first, let her get the lay of the land. Then supervised outings. Then maybe a few minutes unsupervised, etc. That's how my mom did it with their youngest cat---she wasn't allowed out until she was spayed and fully vaccinated, maybe 7 months old? And now she rules the neighborhood.

BUT, if she's really nuts she might annoy the neighbors. Dig up their plants, chew up their welcome mats, that kind of thing. So be prepared for another option if that doesn't help. Maybe building an outdoor enclosure? Also an option if your neighborhood isn't safe for cats or you don't want to let her roam.

Make sure she has good identification if you let her out. Microchip and safety collar and tag, at the minimum.

Last edited:

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with thge

Thank you. I have tried Feliway, but haven't left it going because of the heat and fire hazard comments I have seen online. I could try a collar. I haven't played with her because I have been home so much lately and she has the other cat. Something makes me think she's a scratcher and is highly claw aware. She even extends claws and grabs with claws when held. I will keep looking and thanks for the response.​
I'm glad she has someone like you who's willing to work with her. It's possible that since she's so young, she'll mellow out as she ages. I'm confused about why you aren't playing with her? It's a really good way to let out steam and turn energy into something productive. Do your cats play often? I feel like you intentionally getting her running around and pouncing on a toy could help a lot. Part of the problem is that she could be really bored. Does she have a cat tree or shelves that are ok for her to climb and claw on? What are you scratching posts like? =

magister

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Someone I know had a cat they confined to a bedroom. She recommended that. I just don't know if that is a good idea. I have a bedroom with attached bath that has a second floor window she can look out of and see. That just seems like no way to live your life.

Agreed. Especially as your other cat will have free reign; IMO it would be cruel to confine her, while he can go where he will. To be honest, it sounds like she's just bored to tears, and taking her frustration out on anything she can.

I just think she would be better off outside, if I had to do that.

As a last resort, definitely, rather than let things go on as they are.

As for declawing: even were I, personally, not absolutely opposed to such a barbaric practice, I can't see it will do anything other than to make matters worse. As she's so active and a bit scratchy, all it's likely to do is frustrate her still more, cause her a great deal of unnecessary pain, and turn her into a vicious biter. In addition, it may very well cause a plethora of other problems, long-term litter avoidance being the most probable.

A rescue told me that if she is 11 months old that she is too old to put outside. What do you think? To me, it would be a good age because she is right at being grown, but not a seasoned adult.

Better now than later, when she's yet older.

If I was in your situation, probably I'd install a microchip cat-flap, which would allow her to come and go as she pleases. But I'd do that only after several weeks of supervised outdoor excursions, to get her used to the idea of being both indoor and outdoor. I wouldn't make her outdoor exclusively though; I don't see the point, and again, IMO it would be crule to ban her from the house, while the other cat is allowed in. If you don't consider the outdoors safe, and if you have the room, you could consider installing an outdoor cat enclosure, attached to the house.

Also, I'd be giving her a couple of intense play sessions per day, even though she has the other cat. Likely she's going at first to rip interactive toys to bits, but at least she'll have an outlet for what seems to be an excess of pent-up energy, desperate to get out. Cat shelving, tunnels and other things she can climb and explore might help. Do you have various different scratchers: different materials; vertical, ramp and horizontal, and plenty of high places she can climb?

One of mine, Tällia, can be a bit on the clawy and destructive side, even though she has her sister. A rampaging play all over the place seems to be the only thing that settles her down. By contrast, her sister Rîna is less insane, but goes for the chains attached to the blinds, or claws the front of the speakers if she gets bored. The two of them are just over ten months old, and are right at the incredibly mischievous, teenager phase. While Rîna just gets a bit jumpy, scratchy and sparry if she gets bored, Tällia is another matter. If she doesn't get a good daily play, she tends to do things that get her into trouble, such as pulling the older cat Nimrod's tail. Needless to say, although he's getting along at last with them very well, that doesn't go down particularly well. :D

I'd say, in your case, active, exhausting play could be the answer, plus the outdoors, assuming it's safe where you live.

Last edited:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Sara was fully declawed when I got her. She used to chew through all sorts of things the first few years I had her. I wish I could tell you how I got her to stop - I think she stopped on her own, probably around the same time she stopped pulling her hair out. She had thing for coax cables in particular. I even tried leaving the unplugged chewed up one there for her - nope, she always went for the new one. I eventually figured out ways to hide it from here, or have it somewhere she couldn't reach.

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have put down some two sided sticky tape, plugged in Feliiway (when home), and clipped a little of her nails, while she would let me. I have vertical and horizontal scratching posts and one she has ripped to shreds. I will see about having some play time with her. If at all possible, I am going to do what I can to keep her indoors. I MAY have found a vet who will apply the Soft Paws for me. If his price is ok, I may do it. I will also keep the indoor/outdoor tips in mind.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have put down some two sided sticky tape, plugged in Feliiway (when home), and clipped a little of her nails, while she would let me. I have vertical and horizontal scratching posts and one she has ripped to shreds. I will see about having some play time with her. If at all possible, I am going to do what I can to keep her indoors. I MAY have found a vet who will apply the Soft Paws for me. If his price is ok, I may do it. I will also keep the indoor/outdoor tips in mind.
I think that's great you're going to try to keep her indoors, and good luck with the new things you're trying!  Keep us posted as to how you're all doing.  

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That's awesome, I hope something helps! My cats all go nuts playing with fishing pole type toys like da bird and the cat charmer

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some groomers apply Soft Claws too, and might charge less tha a vet.

Yeah, Da Bird is great! I've had other fishing pole toys, of course; they're kind of a cat-owning necessity :tongue2:. But the way the lure is put on Da Bird, it flutters so realistically. . .I fully recommend it.

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a ton of toys and will switch them out more frequently than before. I have about three fishing pole toys. I used them with the oldest cat before the second one (claw one) came along. I stopped because I assumed they had each other and independent toys. It's never bothered him and he NEVER does anything. He's model. I played with them for fifteen minutes this morning. At the end, they were almost ready to be done and move on to other things. They did a lot of jumping and running around. I have a feeling the two sided tape may work. It's my couch that's going to be my biggest fear. I am going to try to look into a couch cover. I will look into da bird.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Adding to the recommended reading - 

[article="33224"]How To Stop Problem Chewing In Cats​[/article]  

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's a small update. I was able to find a vet's office who would apply Soft Claws. I was able to purchase a kit that has around forty caps. Since I am only doing the ten front claws, the packet should last me four rounds. The vet was able to apply for less than $25.00. Things have been "so far so good," over two days, and she has not removed any. I also have two sided sticky paws tape in the areas that she as causing the most damage. My only real fear is an expensive sofa. She did a small amount of damage, but not bad enough to have ruined it. It's lightly noticeable, but passable. I put the tape in that area, too. I hope these covers work. If they stay on, they seem like they end claw issues,

Has anyone here successfully used them?

If so, how long did they stay on before replacing was needed?

If they stay on, it looks like scratching issues are over. Was that your experience?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do blunt the claws considerably. So any scratching she does shouldn't do any damage. In my experience, they stay on a pretty long time, although the middle claws usually lose them before the ends. I only used them for fun (pretty colors!) but I think they'll be effective to prevent problem scratching.

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They do blunt the claws considerably. So any scratching she does shouldn't do any damage. In my experience, they stay on a pretty long time, although the middle claws usually lose them before the ends. I only used them for fun (pretty colors!) but I think they'll be effective to prevent problem scratching.
Thanks!