Willy might have cancer / high-grade lymphoma Treatment thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how painfully difficult this is and it's truly heartbreaking- I'm so so sorry,please give Willy a kiss from me.......

I don't know what is right,what is best or what to say because I've been there and there are no words that I can make sense of except it hurts,,terribly I wish I were there to hug you ,I'm sure you'll be with your Mom and I thsnk God you're not alone

All my love,Kwik
Praying your Strength,Peace and Comfort - Willy will be missed and never forgotten❤🙏

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh cmshap cmshap My heart is with you.. I understand completely where you are coming from. You have done all that is humanely possible for Willy.. Please try to remember that..

Try to enjoy the day with Willy-- favorite food, cuddles, whatever it will be... He knows you love him to pieces..

I remember my time with Artie.. looking back at his pictures, over the years, I now realize I may have kept him around for what was a much longer period of time-- for me.. He fought so hard to stay with me.. but his body was giving up on him.
As they say: Better a day early, than a day late.....
Kitties try to hide their pain so much.. It is out of love for US.. their care takers.. their soul-buddies.. Do what you feel is right, not for you, but for Willy...

There are just no words of comfort..Nothing can help, except time..
love you...
💔

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
First, did you read what I sent? Do that, please, the section "Side Effects".

I have posted to others about the "30 day" expiry being utter BS.

That's based on 1. my own "hands-on use and observations......and 2. Minimalist understanding of the chemistry of that chemical: first, it's "inactive"; second, in the sealed tube, it's protected from both light and air, the only 'external' agents that would otherwise affect it.

Have you cleaned off the second ear ?
Kind of late to the game but....
I am saying this with understanding the situation, and from dealing with my own cat with serious medical issues--cancer.

Mirataz does loose its efficacy after a month. Two months, is the limit.. From my OWN hands on experience. after one month, you have to increase the dose to get the same effect.
We are not going to confuse the OP.. He is in a dire situation, and is trying his best, under an impossible situation.

I find Mirataz to be quite different than Mirtazapine (pill)..... And Willy does not have renal disease.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, cmshap cmshap My soul is with you today...((Hugs)) I seriously hope you will have someone with you, when see the Vet... I was fortunate that I did.. (((HUGS)))))
Me too cmshap cmshap ..... My heart is with you and with lil Willie-

Tell Willy it's okay too,that's you'll be okay and he can let go...hes tired,he has only been fighting for you my friend:alright::hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: 18 days post-chemo (4th dose)...

I am very confused right now...

First of all, I booked an appointment at 4pm for an exam and euthanasia at my vet. I am glad it is not until the end of the day, because some strange things have happened overnight.

I've been sleeping on the couch to be near him, because he sleeps on the living room chair at night. One thing that was different last night was on about 3 occasions, he came over to me, kneaded and purred and slept a little on my chest, then went back to the chair. He hasn't done that at all for at least the past several nights.

This morning, he seems more active. He's walking around investigating things, meowing at me, etc. He did have a little bit of paper-shredding and window-gazing time yesterday, but that was very short-lived. I'll have to see how long the increased energy continues this morning.

But the strangest thing is that his tumors look a little smaller than they were yesterday. And he's not shaking his head all the time, as he had been for the past several days (he had been shaking his head like every 10 seconds yesterday). He is still scratching occasionally.

I felt the tumors and he allowed me to do so without recoiling, for the most part (his ear is still sensitive).

He has been on zero prednisolone for at least 4 days.

I had firmly resolved that today was going to be the day. But as of this morning, I am not so sure. I am going to watch him all day and see what happens. Also talk to oncology. If he has a better day, and doesn't seem to be in pain, I am at least going to wait and see what tomorrow looks like, first.

I will post another update later today.

See these pictures I took this morning, and compare them to the ones I took yesterday.

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: 18 days post-chemo (4th dose)...

I am very confused right now...

First of all, I booked an appointment at 4pm for an exam and euthanasia at my vet. I am glad it is not until the end of the day, because some strange things have happened overnight.

I've been sleeping on the couch to be near him, because he sleeps on the living room chair at night. One thing that was different last night was on about 3 occasions, he came over to me, kneaded and purred and slept a little on my chest, then went back to the chair. He hasn't done that at all for at least the past several nights.

This morning, he seems more active. He's walking around investigating things, meowing at me, etc. He did have a little bit of paper-shredding and window-gazing time yesterday, but that was very short-lived. I'll have to see how long the increased energy continues this morning.

But the strangest thing is that his tumors look a little smaller than they were yesterday. And he's not shaking his head all the time, as he had been for the past several days (he had been shaking his head like every 10 seconds yesterday). He is still scratching occasionally.

I felt the tumors and he allowed me to do so without recoiling, for the most part (his ear is still sensitive).

He has been on zero prednisolone for at least 4 days.

I had firmly resolved that today was going to be the day. But as of this morning, I am not so sure. I am going to watch him all day and see what happens. Also talk to oncology. If he has a better day, and doesn't seem to be in pain, I am at least going to wait and see what tomorrow looks like, first.

I will post another update later today.

See these pictures I took this morning, and compare them to the ones I took yesterday.
Maybe Willy isn't ready,you ca n cancel as many times as you like- do what's in your heart to do

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DISCLAIMER: I am not a vet. I have no vet training, and am not suggesting this to be scientifically proven by any stretch of the imagination. But, based on my own limited observations over the years, there is such a thing as stress-induced worsening of symptoms, as well as "over medicating". It makes me wonder....

I'll be anxiously awaiting an update. If he continues to improve, would you consider the transdermal pain meds... IF the vet and oncologist feel it's indicated?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps if you were to explain the difficulty of medicating him, you might be able to get some practical hands-on coaching from the experienced techs and the Vet. I'd be pushing for and discussing this - I've been in near identical positions, and boy, I feel for you!

You have a lot to discuss.....some notes will help you get through.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that it has come to this, whether or not you proceed with today's appointment. It sounds to me as if your vets are willing to help you when you and Willy decide that the time is now. By that, I mean that they will take you in and not tell you that the next appointment is a week away...plus, if I am understanding correctly, you have the option of another clinic?

I would take this day to day. You can always make the decision when you feel that it is needed.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
It is so confusing. It really is. Willy is such a loving, sweet boy. In one way, you could say he wanted you to have one good day with him. You will always second guess yourself on this. I did and still are.

Just make the appointment when you feel kind of certain— a quandary of words— but I think you know what I mean. 😪

I do not know if this will help: The morning I made the decision, Artie refused 5 different foods. I ran out of food options for him. I was running around like a mad woman for him to have enemas.
I was shaking, crying from all the stress—realizing that this is the “end” of time with my soul-cat. I suddenly realized that this was not a “life” for anyone. Living on meds, enemas, me exhausting every avenue of food. But I still doubted myself. And that morning he tried so hard to poop—me having to physically pull a piece out of him— Him running away from me.

I kept telling myself that a life, any life which revolves around multiple meds each and every day , with Urgent vet visits was not a way to live.
Yet , I still doubted.
Artie tried to have a good last day— he tried, but was not all that successful. He was so strong, he fought his way into the carrier— screaming the entire way —

Looking back at all the pictures of him, makes me realize that I did the right thing— perhaps waiting a bit too long— due to me being selfish for myself.

I promised Geoffrey that I would not do that to him. I made the Vet promise, promise to tell me; if I am.
Medical Science can do tons to prolong life— but unless it has some enjoyment, what type of a life will it be?

Perhaps what you are seeing in Willy is just a rallying point from stopping the steroids and drugs. If you feel it could be that, you could always wait a few more days. Then decide — see how he acts. Reassessing on Friday. Talk to the oncologist.

I hold you in my heart ❤

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been pacing a bit, b/c the power went out & I didn’t know what happened. So glad to hear there MIGHT be good news or at least a reprieve. Those small, touching moments where he comes to you all on his own are so moving, and a respite, after all you’ve both been through recently.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Second update: 18 days post-chemo (4th dose)...

Evening...

I am already regretting the decisions I made today. But isn't that how this always goes?

Willy had a great morning. He was alert and more active that usual, he was eating a lot, he spent almost 30 minutes at the window.

Then he spent about an hour on my lap, before getting a little agitated (which has been his body language that I know means he wants to sleep on the pillow that's on the chair, vs. my lap). So I yielded the chair and let him nap by himself.

I called and canceled the 4pm appointment, telling my vet's office that he was having a better day, so I wanted to wait and see how it goes tomorrow.

I also called the oncologist's office, and described what I was seeing. They said that these tumors can wax and wane from one day to the next, while overall still growing over time, which his definitely are. He could just be having a particularly good day where his body is fighting harder and dealing with the cancer better. Everyone who is sick has good days and bad days. If I wanted to wait and spend another day with him, if he seems like he's doing a little better, that's okay. But without further medication or treatment, he could start declining again at any moment.

We went over the problems with medicating him again. Some of you have mentioned or reached out to me asking if I may be willing to give medications another shot, and get more help with techniques. At this point, I am decidedly saying no. I may have entertained the notion this morning when he was doing so well, but right now, the answer is no.

Even if I managed to figure out a way to get meds into him, there will still be a period of stress involved (for both of us), and a chance that it could go badly. I don't want to waste another moment where he could become afraid of me again, or I could cause him any additional pain. Even if just momentarily.

He's been sleeping since about noon, pretty much nonstop (about 9.5 hours). He is responsive when I approach him and pet him, but he goes right back to sleep. He jumped off the chair for a bit when I poured some fresh kibble onto his dish, ate one bite, and fairly soon thereafter went back to sleep on the chair.

He seems more tired and groggy than usual. He had an appetite throughout this whole cancer saga, which was what I feel would wake him up regularly, as he would always get up to eat something every 2-3 hours. This is the first time I have seen him go 9.5 hours while grabbing only a small bite of food.

What worries me, also, is that some of his respiratory symptoms have come back, as of this afternoon. I've mentioned this in countless threads before, but he came with a respiratory infection at rescue, and has had chronic symptoms his whole life (mainly runny nose, congestion, sneezing, and occasional coughing). Interestingly, throughout the whole period that he's had cancer, he's had almost zero respiratory issues.

Since this morning, he's become gradually more congested, and is sneezing occasionally. As I said, he's been sleeping a lot, and I can hear his breathing being a little strained because he is partially congested.

It's always one nostril that gets clogged (my newest vet noticed this maybe a year ago when no previous vet did), and I tried rubbing it a bit with a warm moist wash cloth. He was more bothered by that than the congestion (he's lived with recurring congestion for many years). But it didn't really help, and the fact that his breathing is even a little harder right now just makes me feel worse.

I set up a humidifier on another chair near him, hoping that might help overnight. I doubt he will be moving from his chair much, if only to go to the bathroom or eat/drink (I also moved his food and water a lot closer).

I just walked to a grocery store and back. Over the last 8 years that we've lived here, every single time I left my apartment, two things happened:

(1) As I was putting on my shoes and getting ready to leave, Willy would get up, even if he had been asleep, and follow me to the door. Even when he was sick, he would always wake up and look over his shoulder at me as I was getting ready and leaving.

(2) As I returned, he would be at the door waiting for me to open it and greet me. Even when he was sick, he would be looking over his shoulder at the door as I was coming back in.

Just now, he didn't even lift his head as I was leaving or coming back. And he was in the same position. He was partially awake (I can see his eyes open and he looks at me a little bit as I walk by him) but clearly doesn't have the same energy and just wants to rest.

I am regretting not keeping my 4pm appointment today. I can tell he is ready now, and I'm not doubting myself anymore. Tomorrow I am definitely getting him in as soon as I can.

I am ready, too. I don't normally eat fast food, but most of my meals lately have been McDonald's, Jimmy John's, Chinese food, etc. I am not living healthily and I am not getting much else done.

The silver lining, if you can call it that, is that I now know that temporary positive signs can be misleading. If, by some small chance, he wakes up tomorrow morning and has energy, I am still not going to second-guess my decision.

Today, it was highly confusing to wake up to an unusually energetic Willy, and then watch him rather quickly lose all of his energy and only want to sleep for the entire day. If this were to recur tomorrow, I know what to expect.

By the way, I mentioned that his facial tumor was smaller this morning. I believe that to be true. But I felt the one on his chest, right below his neck, and its about the size of an egg (like an egg cut in half, sticking out of his chest). It's definitely bigger than before. And that't the one that is close to his windpipe, so if it gets too big, will cut off his airway. So apparently, he had one tumor shrink and another grow.

I'm probably going to get little sleep tonight, just hoping to get an early appointment tomorrow. And hoping there isn't an emergency situation tonight, like if I think he's having a lot of trouble breathing, or something like that. I would take him to an overnight place in that case, but I hope he just has a comfortable night and I can go to my vet in the morning.

Edit: He did just get up to eat a few more bites of food at around 10pm here, and he drank some water. So that should help him have a more comfortable night.

Second Edit: After eating and drinking a little, he approached me on the couch, and I could tell he wanted to be on my lap but didn't seem to have the energy to jump up. I picked him up and he spent about 20 minutes on my lap, before I could tell he wanted to go back to the chair, so I moved him there and he is going back to sleep.

He did not seem as congested at this time, although he was sneezing a little bit. I turned my radiator off, because it's not a terribly cold night tonight, and I don't want the air to get too dry and make him congested again.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sure someone else must have posted this before, but you don't want their last day to be their worst day. It's better to say goodbye while they're still getting a little enjoyment out of life, are still able to respond to being petted and loved.

In the country I live in vets really don't like to euthanise and will send terminally ill cats home with pain medication and tell you it's better if they pass naturally. They usually spend their last day unconscious, unable to swallow even water. Their eyes already have that dead look and they don't really know you are there. I don't think they suffer, but I think it's harder on the pet guardians to see them die that way. You keep checking to see if they are still breathing, it's like losing them over and over again in the final hours.

Hugs for you and Willy. I hope you and your boy have a peaceful evening together.

:hugs:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: 19 days post-chemo (4th dose)...

I scheduled an appointment for 1pm today, which is in 2 hours from now. Which means I need to get going in about 1 hour 40 minutes.

I'm honestly terrified of this, but I know it's something I have to do. My mom is going with me, and offered to take him in by herself, and I said no. That sounds tempting now to avoid the situation entirely, but I would just regret it after. Plus I'd be dumping it all on my mom.

A family member suggested bringing in a favorite blanket or something, and I thought I will bring in the pillows on top of the chair where he's been doing almost all of his sleeping over the past few months. Maybe it will be comforting, maybe it won't, but the option will be there.

Anyway, the rest of this post is just a funny, heartwarming story about something that happened last night...

One of my casual hobbies is video games. Last night, while staying up all night with Willy, I was browsing the Twitch website. I was randomly going into different content creators' chatrooms and watching whatever they were live-streaming. This was maybe 3-4am at the time.

I went into one streamer's chatroom (had never seen him before), and he was playing the game Super Metroid, a game that I played as a kid on Super NES. He was speedrunning the game, trying repeatedly to achieve the shortest time in beating the game. The world record (yes, people keep track of these things, and there is a whole community based around speedrunning) is something like 40 minutes. I joined in when he was in the middle of an individual run of the game.

The very first thing I heard him say, talking while playing, was to recite some quote he just saw online, which was something like "to some people, their pet is their life... but to all pets, their person is their whole life." And went on to describe how beautiful he found that, as a pet will live its whole life during only a fraction of ours, and is totally dependent on us.

I typed in the chatroom that I was literally euthanizing my cat tomorrow, and this was the first thing I heard him say when I joined the stream. He asked me what was my cat's name, how old he was, etc. I continued to watch and chat with him and the few other people in the room at that hour. He said that without knowing me, he could tell I loved Willy and gave him a great life, if I was staying up all night with him during his last night.

He finished that run of the game in 42 minutes (which is actually an impressive achievement) and at the end he dedicated it to Willy. That was just kind of a funny coincidental thing that made me feel good when I needed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.