Willy might have cancer / high-grade lymphoma Treatment thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't be concern ATM about him not eliminating YET- its not unusual for Willie as you've mentioned & I certainly would not administer Miralax as it might trigger diarrhea-see if he goes tomorrow and if not call the Vet

However,with him going in and out of the box I'd wonder of he's having the sensation to urinate as frequent urination is an expected side effect of the methyl prednisolone-make sure he has plenty of fluids as his thirst will increase as well so he should be going more often- call your Vet tomorrow and discuss these things
Tag was on prednisone in 2021. A week after he was put on it, I had to call the vet because he was pacing, panting, and drinking water nonstop. He was also reclusive and kind of pissy which was not like him at all. They adjusted his dose and he did SO much better. Meds can be tricky at first because it's finding that perfect balance between it working properly at the lowest dose. Sarah's initial dosage for her hyper-T was too high and her symptoms reversed, so we adjusted it and she's been great ever since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wednesday 11/1 afternoon update (48 hour post-chemo):

He's been OK today but how little he is eating is starting to worry me. He keeps going over to his food/water area like he's interested in eating, but then either sniffs and walks away, or just eats a piece or two of kibble / licks at wet food for 10-ish seconds.

He did eat half of a Sheba turkey pate last night in one sitting, so I tried to give him the same this morning and he wouldn't eat it.

I left a message for my oncologist to call me back. I didn't make the call until around noon because I was busy this morning, but I was told they would definitely get back to me this afternoon. So I am waiting for that. I hope there's a simple appetite-stimulant solution to this.

He also still hasn't had a bowel movement since before the chemo treatment. That's another question I'm waiting for them to answer when they call me back. I have Miralax on-hand if they tell me I should try using it. But again, he's just not been eating much, so it may not be constipation. Urination seems normal.

I'm also going to try a "shotgun" approach to dry food, and just buy multiple brands and flavors, hoping that one of them he will find surprisingly appealing. (This reminds me that I wanted to call my local vet and ask for free samples.) I'm also giving him basically as many treats as he will eat, just for the calories (he's not eating many of them).

On that note, he doesn't know what to make of the Delectibles paste treats. I've tried offering him some on a variety of surfaces, including in his normal food dish, and he doesn't even sniff it much at all. He just looks at it like he doesn't even know it's food. I've even put some on my hand, because he always grooms my hands, and he won't lick it off.

Behavior-wise, he's definitely lethargic, but I think that was to be expected. Play has been out of the question, as are zoom-runs (typically, before the chemo, he'd have at least one outburst per day of a short random-sprint across my living room). He pretty much wants to lay on my lap all the time, but he occasionally does get in good moods, where he stands up on my lap, paces around while trilling at me. This morning, I was woken up to him standing on my chest meowing at me. I guess I can tell when he's feeling perky, vs. the normal lethargy. And the perkiness happens a few times a day.

What I'm having a hard time with, in terms of processing this, is I don't know what symptoms are from chemo, or what are from his high-grade lymphoma that was moving very fast before treatment started. It's so hard to worry about every little thing, all day, and not play out scenarios in your mind.

But I know I don't have to tell all of you this... you already know. Willy is my first cat and the first time I've ever gone through something like this. With my childhood pets, I was too young to understand the whole thing, or I had moved out to college before other family pets reached the end, so I wasn't around for it. This is the first time where I am responsible for whatever happens, and I have to watch it day-by-day and make tough decisions. It just sucks.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
As for the Delectables, or any of those kinds of treat stews/broths/bisques, I have found that certain cats only want one texture. I have one who will only eat bisque and not get near a stew, and vice versa for another one. Not that this solves any of the bigger issues though. My guess, which is all that it is, would be that Willy is adjusting to the new medications. However, side effects can be upsetting, so keep referring all of this to your vet.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wednesday 11/1 afternoon update (48 hour post-chemo):

He's been OK today but how little he is eating is starting to worry me. He keeps going over to his food/water area like he's interested in eating, but then either sniffs and walks away, or just eats a piece or two of kibble / licks at wet food for 10-ish seconds.

He did eat half of a Sheba turkey pate last night in one sitting, so I tried to give him the same this morning and he wouldn't eat it.

I left a message for my oncologist to call me back. I didn't make the call until around noon because I was busy this morning, but I was told they would definitely get back to me this afternoon. So I am waiting for that. I hope there's a simple appetite-stimulant solution to this.

He also still hasn't had a bowel movement since before the chemo treatment. That's another question I'm waiting for them to answer when they call me back. I have Miralax on-hand if they tell me I should try using it. But again, he's just not been eating much, so it may not be constipation. Urination seems normal.

I'm also going to try a "shotgun" approach to dry food, and just buy multiple brands and flavors, hoping that one of them he will find surprisingly appealing. (This reminds me that I wanted to call my local vet and ask for free samples.) I'm also giving him basically as many treats as he will eat, just for the calories (he's not eating many of them).

On that note, he doesn't know what to make of the Delectibles paste treats. I've tried offering him some on a variety of surfaces, including in his normal food dish, and he doesn't even sniff it much at all. He just looks at it like he doesn't even know it's food. I've even put some on my hand, because he always grooms my hands, and he won't lick it off.

Behavior-wise, he's definitely lethargic, but I think that was to be expected. Play has been out of the question, as are zoom-runs (typically, before the chemo, he'd have at least one outburst per day of a short random-sprint across my living room). He pretty much wants to lay on my lap all the time, but he occasionally does get in good moods, where he stands up on my lap, paces around while trilling at me. This morning, I was woken up to him standing on my chest meowing at me. I guess I can tell when he's feeling perky, vs. the normal lethargy. And the perkiness happens a few times a day.

What I'm having a hard time with, in terms of processing this, is I don't know what symptoms are from chemo, or what are from his high-grade lymphoma that was moving very fast before treatment started. It's so hard to worry about every little thing, all day, and not play out scenarios in your mind.

But I know I don't have to tell all of you this... you already know. Willy is my first cat and the first time I've ever gone through something like this. With my childhood pets, I was too young to understand the whole thing, or I had moved out to college before other family pets reached the end, so I wasn't around for it. This is the first time where I am responsible for whatever happens, and I have to watch it day-by-day and make tough decisions. It just sucks.
I hope the vet calls you back with some ideas or answers for these issues. I think the idea of getting samples from the vet and trying them out is a great idea.
I can't tell you how many times through Tag's cancer I wished I was a kid and I could let Mom and Dad handle it. It does suck, big time. :hugs:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the vet calls you back with some ideas or answers for these issues.
She actually just did after I posted my last update.

They can give me mirtazapine transdermal ointment to treat Willy's inappetance. The issue on my end is she said to pick it up at my oncology clinic's office, it will cost $95. But she recommended that I shop around, and check with my general vet, because it could be cheaper.

I am not worried about Willy eating tonight (he just ate a bunch of kibble for the longest time he's spent at his bowl all day), but by tomorrow I definitely want to have a solution I can start immediately if he's still not eating. So I am doing research on this drug tonight, and where to get it.

They told me not to worry yet about BMs, because of the appetite issue. If it's still a problem where he has zero BMs for a couple more days, then definitely call back.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can give me mirtazapine transdermal ointment to treat Willy's inappetance. The issue on my end is she said to pick it up at my oncology clinic's office, it will cost $95. But she recommended that I shop around, and check with my general vet, because it could be cheaper.
It is indeed cheaper. About half the cost at my main vet's office, where I am going to pick some up tomorrow.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update from my previous main 11/1 update post.

I mentioned above I plan to pick up mirtazapine transdermal ointment tomorrow to boost his appetite.

In the meantime, just for tonight, I bought a very small bag of the food that is pictured in my attachment, because it was only $5 and something new. It was just the easiest way to pick up another food. I assume it's not the best, but it's new.

I brought it home late tonight, and he's been eating it more than other foods. I don't plan to continue it, as it was on the same shelf as other junk and was only $5. And I just wanted calories in this situation.

Tomorrow I'll be getting the mirtazapine so hopefully that will drive him to eat the better foods I have on-hand.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I mentioned above I plan to pick up mirtazapine transdermal ointment tomorrow to boost his appetite.

In the meantime, just for tonight, I bought a very small bag of the food that is pictured in my attachment, because it was only $5 and something new. It was just the easiest way to pick up another food. I assume it's not the best, but it's new.

I brought it home late tonight, and he's been eating it more than other foods. I don't plan to continue it, as it was on the same shelf as other junk and was only $5. And I just wanted calories in this situation.

Tomorrow I'll be getting the mirtazapine so hopefully that will drive him to eat the better foods I have on-hand.
My cats have had that as treats and they love it! I understand wanting him to eat the better foods in the long run but for now, I'm glad he's eating something, he does need those calories.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Don't worry about feeding him better foods. As long as calories are getting into the cat its fine.

The shotgun approach generally doesn't work. You might get lucky and get him to eat a meal or two of something new. But unless the underlying cause of what is keeping the cat from eating is addressed it's not going to work.

It really sucks he doesn't like Delectables. Those were my go-to when Sammie wouldn't eat. Even when he was on death's door, he wouldn't turn down a Delectable.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shotgun approach generally doesn't work. You might get lucky and get him to eat a meal or two of something new. But unless the underlying cause of what is keeping the cat from eating is addressed it's not going to work.
I'm glad I read this part of your post. It may have prevented me from spending lots of unnecessary dollars.

This reminded me that when Willy's appetite was strong, years ago, he would eat ANY dry food like a vacuum cleaner. He'd eat it so fast that he'd throw up.

I need to keep in mind that this previous version of Willy is Healthy-Willy. He would scarf down anything that resembles food if he felt like his normal self. Because that's how he always was for 9+ years.

So, buying lots of unnecessary foods is likely not to work as a general approach. That is helpful for me to remember as I move forward.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I read this part of your post. It may have prevented me from spending lots of unnecessary dollars.
It's horrible. In one attempt I drove all over the place and blew $300 on assorted cat food. Only to have sammie hover over the bowl. lick it and walk away. Feeding time used to stress me out so much. I was afraid to see if he would actually eat or not.

You might want to try giving him Temptations or Greenies cat treats. From past experience, Temptations are like crack to cats. Churru squeeze up treats are also good but since he won't eat Delectables he might not eat those. I have a video on my youtube channel of my cat Teddie stealing Churrus off the kitchen shelf and Samantha scavenging treats out of a food puzzle.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard temptations are really bad for cats elsewhere on the form (can't find the thread atm) and possably toxic even. Idk if it is true but i dont feed them.

I don't feed them because Indy doesn't like them (she just sniffs and walks away) and Kabuto gets dihorreah if he eats them. So waste of money. Totaly unrelated reason from rumers.

I often check snopes if theres conflicting information but even there its unproven.
Temptations Cat Treats Facebook Warning

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

There's alot of " junk" food on the shelves but I must say after having used it since it first came out sometime in the 80s I've had very healthy cats on Fancy Feast diets.... my Cheech lived to be 19,my girls Jibba ,Taboo & Wicca in their 20's...... soooooo?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he is nauseous. Did they mention giving him an Rx of anti nausea meds like Cerenia or Odansetron?
I told my oncologist that he wasn't eating, that he is just taking a few bites of kibble, or just licking for a little while at wet food, then walking away.

I did not describe that beyond the above, he does show interest in wanting to eat, but upon reaching the food, he does not take any bites or any licks, and instead walls away.

I also did not describe that when I make my motions towards the kitchen -- where his dry food bag has always been kept for years -- he sometimes follows me, as he used to do when he was hungry and wanted food. He shows interest when I open the dry food bag (and he recognizes the sounds of the bag opening).

I am trying to scoop fresh food out of the bag whenever he shows interest in eating, because he is more responsive to food taken freshly out of the bag vs. food that has been sitting in a bowl for hours. I liken it to how if we leave chips/crackers out, they get stale, and even we humans can taste/smell that difference. So I grab a handful of fresh food out of the bag and sprinkle it on the floor. He's more likely to eat more pieces of kibble when I do that.

Do any of the above details indicate nausea vs. inappetance? Of course, those two symptoms are related, I know, but I don't know how to tell what is the core problem with a cat.

For now, the appetite stimulant was all that was recommended, but I did not explain all of the above details as thoroughly when I spoke to them over the phone.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
She actually just did after I posted my last update.

I am not worried about Willy eating tonight (he just ate a bunch of kibble for the longest time he's spent at his bowl all day), but by tomorrow I definitely want to have a solution I can start immediately if he's still not eating. So I am doing research on this drug tonight, and where to get it.

They told me not to worry yet about BMs, because of the appetite issue. If it's still a problem where he has zero BMs for a couple more days, then definitely call back.
Good call,just be aware of possible side effects which one if is possible vomiting---- that would be my first preferred treatment but there are many other anti- nausea meds as alternatives

The pros of mirtazapine certainly outweigh the cons because this drug works a bit different than so many others to increase appetite

mirtazapine’s impacts appetite because of its ability to work as an antagonist to the brain’s receptors(5-HT2)which inhibits appetite. Mirtazapine acts as an antagonist of these specific receptors within the brain’s chemoreceptor triggering increases appetite and it promotes weight gain

Chemoreceptor trigger zone controls vomiting but an adverse reaction of course may cause vomiting. Be sure to wear gloves when administer this ( or any) transdermal application as it is absorbed through the skim

I think you'll get good results but I would not fill the Rx until you need to as it should be discarded after 30 days

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good call,just be aware of possible side effects which one if is possible vomiting
Willy has vomited all his life while maintaining a strong appetite, so I am not as worried about vomiting as I am about him eating right now (and he has always wanted to eat and drink IMMEDIATELY after he vomits, anyway)

Be sure to wear gloves when administer this ( or any) transdermal application as it is absorbed through the skim
Yeah, they advised me on this over the phone.

I think you'll get good results but I would not fill the Rx until you need to as it should be discarded after 30 days
I want to try it ASAP as he has hardly been eating today, and with each day, hes been taking in less and less. I don't want to wait another day before trying an intervention.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's alot of " junk" food on the shelves but I must say after having used it since it first came out sometime in the 80s I've had very healthy cats on Fancy Feast diets.... my Cheech lived to be 19,my girls Jibba ,Taboo & Wicca in their 20's...... soooooo?
Throught his time with me I tried to get Sammie on "better" food. He had other ideas. He was a Fancy Feast cat for most of his 16-17 years. My kittens are the same way unfortunately. They turn their nose up at the high-quality stuff that looks like real food and has recognizable chunks of food products in them and go right to the fancy feast. They also have a distinct preference for kibble unfortunately so I try to suplement with primarily wet snacks.

I did not describe that beyond the above, he does show interest in wanting to eat, but upon reaching the food, he does not take any bites or any licks, and instead walls away.
That's exactly what Sammie did when he wasn't feeling well during the last 3 years of his life. Before then he would scarf down his food.

Willy has vomited all his life while maintaining a strong appetite, so I am not as worried about vomiting as I am about him eating right now (and he has always wanted to eat and drink IMMEDIATELY after he vomits, anyway)
What's the consistency of his vomit. Is it a clear liquid?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The being interested in food, yet not eating or only eating a small amount are what make me think nausea, that, combined with the start of chemotherapy.
Small update: he ate a big handful of kibble this morning, and I have not yet picked up or administered the mirtazapine.

Because it's not an insignificant expense ($50-60), I am hoping this is a good sign? Maybe I should see what happens during the day first before I go for that.

I will also describe his latest eating habits that I see today, to my vet, before buying the mirtazapine. So they can advise me on that vs. an anti-nausea med.

Status
Not open for further replies.