Will they ever have an adult meow?

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last June we fostered 4 2 month old kittens, and while we initially didn't want any, we ended up keeping two of them. Now they're 17 months old and both of them still have their squeaky kitten meows. Will they ever grow into a more adult meow or am I doomed to hear the baby squeaks their whole lives? 😂
I think the other two in the litter also still squeak, but I'll have to ask (we keep in touch with their owners).

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Aww, sweet that you kept two of them.

I have a 12 year old that I adopted as a 3 month old and she still only squeaks! It's adorable. Our other cat had an adult meow, but almost never made a sound. Now he's getting more vocal in his older age, and boy does he let us know what he thinks. So be careful what you ask for. :lol:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, it could go either way. Hekitty found her big-girl voice when she was 8-9 years old! However, kitten squeaks are SO DARNED CUTE coming out of big cats!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats, just like people have different voices. all three of mine (related) have the weirdest meows, and I've heard a lot. They sound like they are stuttering, or trying to clear their throats, long and drawn out like someone won't get off their tails. One sounds like a Yamaha. Why? I don't have any idea, I just accept them for who they are. One thing for sure, I wouldn't confuse them with any other cat!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had two cats that have kept their kitten squeaks. With Beau, we wondered whether he actually had a larynx until he was six months old, when he finally started making noise. Charlie has squeaked from the start.

I think it's adorable :hearthrob:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted Geoffrey when he was about 3 years old. He had the softest, squeakiest meow, I have ever heard!!

He is now, around 6 years old. HIs voice is a bit louder; but only when he really wants my attention.
He still squeaks.

I also thought something happened to his larynx.. but who knows???

My cousin has a cat who is also soft, squeeky, kittenish... They named him Squeaky!!!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last June we fostered 4 2 month old kittens, and while we initially didn't want any, we ended up keeping two of them. Now they're 17 months old and both of them still have their squeaky kitten meows. Will they ever grow into a more adult meow or am I doomed to hear the baby squeaks their whole lives? 😂
I think the other two in the litter also still squeak, but I'll have to ask (we keep in touch with their owners).
I think it could go either way.

Greg and Arnold are brothers, almost eight years old, each over 20 lbs and very similar in apperance. Greg has a kitten meow which he is reluctant to even use. I have to coax it out of him when he wants me to feed him. Arnold is the complete opposite. He has a loud rather rude and demanding meow when he wants to be fed, picked up, let outside or any other need.

Its interesting how two cats born together, raised together and almost twins can have such different personalities.

Arnold on the left and greg on the right.

Attachments

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had one when I was young that never quite developed a mature "meow." She just sort of gave out a dry squeak.

In the unfortunate instances she got her tail stepped on, she definitely did have a louder voice. I would expect yours probably does, too, but it might have to wait until something similar happens.