Will taking a leash trained cat for walks - soon after moving house - shorten the time for which they can go out independently?

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

Apologies for the long title!

Question...

We moved with our two cats from Belgrade, Serbia to the UK countryside yesterday. An epic journey, more of which I will write about elsewhere.

Surprisingly to us, the younger cat has adapted very quickly to his new home. The other one is going to take time to recover from the journey. I have leash trained the former - that's just having the leash and lead on - but I have never 'walked' him anywhere. Last night he was howling desperately to be let outside (probably to go to the toilet). My wife thinks it's far too early and I agree with her, but I also think that I can start walking him around the garden on a leash almost immediately; he can spread his scent and the time taken before he can go out independently will be greatly reduced.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I don't know but I think I'd stick with the suggested timeframe of three weeks or so before letting him/them outside without the leash/harness. On the other hand, walking him is a wonderful thing to do :purr:

By the way, there might be something here that helps your other cat, including playing cat music, or low volume classical harp music :) even though you're already there and the title is for a kitten;
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House – TheCatSite Articles

One other thought, would you consider building them an enclosure in the yard?

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It mostly depends on the cat.
My two cats were first trained to wear the harness indoors. I saw that they couldn't care less about the harness, so out we went the next day.

When we are outside they follow me quite diligently. But my aim is to be able to lead them outside on the leash only.
I'm training them to walk outside with me, not to have them used to the independent outdoor life.

Anyway, I think that if the cat is already trained and used to the leash, there should be no problem in taking him outdoors now.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've seen too many dead cats laying in the road to support letting them outside unsupervised. It's good to harness & leash train them to go for a walk, but don't let them roam free outside.