Will Need To Rehome Both Cats Sometime In The Future, Advice On Good Shelters For Older Cats?

Christoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So after a long time of thinking it over, I found it in my cats interest to rehome them when the time comes. No family or friends can take care of them and the only person who can, and likes cats, can't due to her extremely high prey drive terrier yorkie mix (we think Silky/Shih Tzu). Who's also VERY aggressive towards other pets. It's simply unsafe for them. So for their sake, and my inability to take them with me due to my new living arrangements, I have to look for a new home for them.

The only thing is their age and chances of adoption. Meja is 10 and Bud is 12. So age wise, they're already low on the totem pole on most likely to be adopted. And while Bud very people and cat friendly, Meja is very shy and would seem to do best in a home as the only cat, or one other at most. So I'm looking for advice on shelters or ways they'll be given a good home and less likely to be put down. There's a cat specific shelter here that lets the cats roam and has few young cats, so higher chance of someone coming in and finding an older cat, but I think they're full and unable to take anymore in. All I can think of beyond that is the humane society.

And I would take them with me if I could but I genuinely can't. I can't, and won't, bend rules to bring them with me and I'll be unable to keep them for a few years as well. So with the indefinite time span and rules that disallow pets where I'll be staying, as well as a lack of people who can take them, this really is my only option.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also contact your vet and ask if you can put up a "looking for good home" flier. You'd definitely want a rehoming fee but I think that this could be a good place to find a potential adopter. I'd stay away from Craigslist

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely look into rescues in your area and really beat the bushes to try to find someone who can take them. Most county run humane societies are kill shelters and given your cats' ages, turning them over to such an organization would be a death sentence. I don't mean to sound overly harsh but that's just the reality. You might also try colleges and universities in your area. For instance, the University of Central Florida, where I teach, has a pet placement center.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beating the bushes is what it will take if you love these cats. Some shelters will agree to return the cat to you if not adopted but that is rare and puts the cats back in your lap. I have had to rehome a ton of rescues and you should know it just takes a determination on your part to refurlse to let you cats be euthanI expect at a kill shelter. There are some no kill shelters but you may have to be on a waiting list. You literally need to ask everyone you know or have contact wit if they know anyone who would be a safe home or if they know anyone who can help. Get creative. The mail man, the pet supply store, the vet waiting room, the vet staff, your local police officer, school teachers, bus drivers, grocery clerks, I mean ask everyone. There are homes available. A lot of older people prefer an older and pre trained cat. How about a friend at a senior citizen’s group, a church, a plant nursery or a bait shop? Some places will keep them as a shop cat or mascot cat. I found a lot of kitty lovers at dollar stores. My tax guy. A garden club. No luck anywhere? Google a search for cat adoptions. Put in a search for desperate to save cat. There are groups that only save cats at risk for a bad outcome. There are many, many groups to be contacted before giving up. Purina even has a rehoming site for pets. What about Petango or groups that help advertise pet adoptions rescues? I am not a rescue group but I managed to find dozens of homes for the cats I pulled in from being dumped. Cats of all ages. If an old lady like me can do it then I have great hope you will have great luck. I often try places where young people go. A comic book shop( get mom’s approval first), video game shop or a restaurant that is popular with younger people. Libraries are great too! If all else fails then just google it. If you worry about the adopting person, ask them to sign an adoption agreement and have their vet give you a reference for them. There is always a way. You are doing great by hunting for somewhere safe for them. Do’t give up. You can do this! Good luck to you and kitties. I saw some of your other posts. Can you possibly take them back where the most recently adopted kitty came from? I am sure you will find a solution. Don’t give up! Good luck to you and the kitties. I don’t know what state you live in but that can make a big difference in a happy ending for you. Some counties are much different than their neighbors in rules and available locations. Check everywhere! They are beautiful kitties. Someone, somewhere would love them. You just need one right connection. My best to you all!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do we know where the OP is located? Ugh, I keep thinking about these poor seniors cats and how frightened they will be if put into a shelter! I will gladly help find someplace for them if we can figure out OP's locale.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try those areas. Theres two senior communities nearby that allow cats, so I'll ask them about putting up a little sign or something. I know Bud and Meja are extremely low maintenance, Bud just being a big baby who loves cuddle time, so I'm sure someone there would be able to take them in and love them.

I could potentially take Meja back where I got her, Bud not so much since he came from the cat only place. Since they're getting old, too, I'm a little worried about just asking anyone since people like to dump old pets for no reason.

Unfortunately, given how long I could be gone too, I can't do a "keep them for me" deal. It would be five years at a minimum. Thats both too long and horrifically unfair for the cats, since they could be adopted out to a loving home by then.

And trust me, no need to tell me to stay away from CL adopters. I've heard way too many horror stories and would much rather not risk it.

I'm in MN btw. Basically right off Minneapolis, so I guess there's a bunch of places I'm not thinking of. I just know these two aren't kittens anymore and people seem to just want kittens to grow up with and stuff.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
True about the kittens but as mentioned there are a surprising number of people who want to help older cats, more so than you'd think.
You've gotten wonderful replies here, when you have a chance read through them again and see what you'd feel comfortable with. The organization you mentioned for the one kitty might also have ideas, where you don't have to wonder for their health and safety. :)