Will my indoor-only cat be OK with only closed windows for 3 months? Or will he be terribly bored?

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m moving into a new place with gorgeous floor to ceiling windows! Unfortunately, the windows do not have screens in them and the windows are so large that it will take some time for them to be outfitted with custom screens. I was quoted 3 months at least, I can’t find any temporary/adjustable window screens that would fit either.

In the meantime, I want to keep the windows closed for safety— but we live in a temperate/coastal area where we are able to have the windows open year-round. So my cat has always been able to enjoy the fresh air and bird calls.

Will he be bored and unhappy with the windows closed all the time? He’s not accustomed to it and unfortunately I work a lot, cannot entertain him all the time. Thanks in advance!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Will he be bored and unhappy with the windows closed all the time?
He should be perfectly fine. As long as all windows are shut for safety, place a cat tree or two at the windows so that he can view the outside from a low and high point. It’s like a big cat tv for him.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with tabbytom tabbytom , he will be fine :) You don't have to entertain him all the time, many cats do a good job entertaining themselves. Just make sure to watch for any signs of stress (vocalizations, inappropriate elimination, etc.) but my guess is he'll just wait and be happy when the windows can be opened in a few months.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have floor to ceiling windows, some of which are not screenable, or not unless I modified them quite a bit. No one has suffered any consequences from having to just look out the window, although there are a number of windows in the house that do open and which have screens.

Your cat has a wonderful new house with a caring owner, so don't let him lay a guilt trip on you. I also would not install any temporary screens which might not be as secure as the custom ones.

Lime_Cat

Cat Enthusiast In His Twenties + CAT DAD
Young Cat
Purraise
While it's unfortunate that you're unable to have screens for your gorgeous floor-to-ceiling windows immediately, there are still ways to ensure your cat remains content and entertained indoors.

1. Create an indoor oasis: Set up a dedicated area near the windows where your cat can perch, observe outdoor activities, and bask in the sunlight. Place a comfortable bed or cat tree by the window to provide a cozy and elevated spot for your cat to enjoy the view.

2. Provide environmental enrichment: Enrich your cat's indoor environment with toys, scratching posts, puzzle feeders, and interactive playtime. These activities can help simulate hunting instincts, provide mental stimulation, and prevent boredom. Rotate toys regularly to keep things interesting.

3. Stimulate the senses: Open the windows occasionally to allow fresh air and outdoor sounds to enter the space, even if it's for shorter periods of time. This can provide sensory stimulation for your cat and help recreate some of the outdoor experiences they enjoy.

4. Bird feeders and videos: Install bird feeders outside the window or use videos of birds and wildlife specifically designed for cats. These can capture your cat's attention and provide entertainment as they watch and "hunt" from a distance.

5. Interactive toys and treat dispensers: Use interactive toys that can keep your cat engaged and reward them with treats. Puzzle toys and treat dispensers can provide mental stimulation and help keep them occupied during periods when you're unable to interact directly.

6. Scent enrichment: Introduce different scents in your home to stimulate your cat's sense of smell. Consider using catnip, silver vine, or other cat-friendly scents to provide sensory variety and enrichment.

7. Establish a routine: Create a daily routine that includes interactive play sessions with your cat, even if you have limited time. This can help provide predictability and structure, ensuring your cat has dedicated attention and playtime each day.

Remember, each cat is unique, and their individual needs may vary. Monitor your cat's behavior and make adjustments as needed to ensure their overall well-being. With some creativity and effort, you can help keep your cat content and engaged until the custom screens are installed and your windows can be safely opened once again.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m moving into a new place with gorgeous floor to ceiling windows! Unfortunately, the windows do not have screens in them and the windows are so large that it will take some time for them to be outfitted with custom screens. I was quoted 3 months at least, I can’t find any temporary/adjustable window screens that would fit either.

In the meantime, I want to keep the windows closed for safety— but we live in a temperate/coastal area where we are able to have the windows open year-round. So my cat has always been able to enjoy the fresh air and bird calls.

Will he be bored and unhappy with the windows closed all the time? He’s not accustomed to it and unfortunately I work a lot, cannot entertain him all the time. Thanks in advance!
Get a second kitten that will keep him entertained ;)

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live where we have arctic temperatures for about half the year, so my cats only get open windows for the other half. They seem fine, they can still sit in the cat tree and watch the bird and squirrel action all winter long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He should be perfectly fine. As long as all windows are shut for safety, place a cat tree or two at the windows so that he can view the outside from a low and high point. It’s like a big cat tv for him.
Thank you so much for the reply! Yes, I’ll make sure to outfit the place with really nice, tall cat towers such that he can enjoy the view in its full glory :D

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with tabbytom tabbytom , he will be fine :) You don't have to entertain him all the time, many cats do a good job entertaining themselves. Just make sure to watch for any signs of stress (vocalizations, inappropriate elimination, etc.) but my guess is he'll just wait and be happy when the windows can be opened in a few months.
Thank you for the reply! Yes, he’s a pretty chill cat, I was just worried because his favorite hobby is staring at things through the windows hahaha

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have floor to ceiling windows, some of which are not screenable, or not unless I modified them quite a bit. No one has suffered any consequences from having to just look out the window, although there are a number of windows in the house that do open and which have screens.

Your cat has a wonderful new house with a caring owner, so don't let him lay a guilt trip on you. I also would not install any temporary screens which might not be as secure as the custom ones.
Thank you for the reply and very good point about the temporary/adjustable screens. I definitely don’t want him pushing through a screen that wasn’t attached properly and falling out the window! I don’t think it’s possible anyway to get it fit these huge windows with anything without professional help

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While it's unfortunate that you're unable to have screens for your gorgeous floor-to-ceiling windows immediately, there are still ways to ensure your cat remains content and entertained indoors.

1. Create an indoor oasis: Set up a dedicated area near the windows where your cat can perch, observe outdoor activities, and bask in the sunlight. Place a comfortable bed or cat tree by the window to provide a cozy and elevated spot for your cat to enjoy the view.

2. Provide environmental enrichment: Enrich your cat's indoor environment with toys, scratching posts, puzzle feeders, and interactive playtime. These activities can help simulate hunting instincts, provide mental stimulation, and prevent boredom. Rotate toys regularly to keep things interesting.

3. Stimulate the senses: Open the windows occasionally to allow fresh air and outdoor sounds to enter the space, even if it's for shorter periods of time. This can provide sensory stimulation for your cat and help recreate some of the outdoor experiences they enjoy.

4. Bird feeders and videos: Install bird feeders outside the window or use videos of birds and wildlife specifically designed for cats. These can capture your cat's attention and provide entertainment as they watch and "hunt" from a distance.

5. Interactive toys and treat dispensers: Use interactive toys that can keep your cat engaged and reward them with treats. Puzzle toys and treat dispensers can provide mental stimulation and help keep them occupied during periods when you're unable to interact directly.

6. Scent enrichment: Introduce different scents in your home to stimulate your cat's sense of smell. Consider using catnip, silver vine, or other cat-friendly scents to provide sensory variety and enrichment.

7. Establish a routine: Create a daily routine that includes interactive play sessions with your cat, even if you have limited time. This can help provide predictability and structure, ensuring your cat has dedicated attention and playtime each day.

Remember, each cat is unique, and their individual needs may vary. Monitor your cat's behavior and make adjustments as needed to ensure their overall well-being. With some creativity and effort, you can help keep your cat content and engaged until the custom screens are installed and your windows can be safely opened once again.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! I’ve had my cat for four years, he’s waited so patiently for me to get on my feet and move to a really nice place and great views :p

I will most certainly outfit the place as best I can with bird feeders and interactive toys etc. etc. and see if I can find a way to safely provide airflow to the home! Thank you again for the great advice

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live where we have arctic temperatures for about half the year, so my cats only get open windows for the other half. They seem fine, they can still sit in the cat tree and watch the bird and squirrel action all winter long.
Thank you for the reply!! And sorry about such cold weather :D

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi,nice to meet you and Congrats on your wonderful new place.
As many have already stated,"he'll be just fine" and even more important is that he is SAFE!
I live in Florida so my window's are closed pretty much year round,my window's have these great little cat hammocks that attach to the glass with suction cups,they love lying on the hammocks watching their own big screen TV,lol.... it's more about the visual& auditory sensory stimulation than the "air" ...he will love those huge window's and he won't be missing a thing!
I have a screened in patio which makes me a nervous wreck,I cannot relax for a minute when my 4 are out there and basically they just sleep or lie about on the table to enjoy the sun and the view BUT you just never know-Im presently trying to come up with a "cage " for those huge screens as I've just adopted an adult feral that's never been indoors,he'll bust through those screens in a minute...so I share your concern,don't risk anything temporary,,it's not worth taking any chance of something that can happen unexpectedly in the blink of an eye..... your peace and his safety is worth the wait 😻

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm also in a climate where the windows are locked shut from about October until March or April. My cats don't seem to mind it at all. One of my girls has a heart murmur so cold air is something I am not comfortable with having her around. 😺