Will My Cats Hate Me

quarinteen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats that I have had since kittens. They are very loving cats, but of course only want attention when they want it and when they want it they dont give up until they get it. I recently had to start working from home and it seems the only time they want it is when I am working. I have to chase them off constantly. They wont go if I just move them so I started spraying them with a water bottle. Honestly I dont like doing this I am afraid they will start avoiding me all together. Looking for advice on how to set some boundaries when im working. They are driving me crazy with this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please do NOT spray them - that actually re-enforces their behavior. They have no idea what it means.

You need to set a schedule with them for play so they understand when it is appropriate and when it is not. How about a good play time right before you start work? If they continue to bother you after you start work, set up a comfortable location for them, with all of their necessities, that is in a location where you can close them off from you. And, then when you take breaks or quit for the day, play with them again in their confined space. They will eventually learn that there are certain times for play, and other times not so much.

I have an older lazy cat, so I don't need to worry about this so much anymore, but I know other members on this site will be able to give you some helpful tips on how you can 'train' them. Just be patient, they will come through for you, they always do!!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully in time they'll get used to you being around home more often, and won't want your attention as much.

Meanwhile, does your office area have a door? If so, when they bother you, put them out of the room and close the door. If not, do as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner suggested, and put them in another room. Eventually they'll learn that bothering you when you're working won't get the response they want.

As for setting boundaries, here's a TCS article that might be helpful:
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat

Plus a couple on cat discipline:
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They come to play with you when you're working because you are staying in one place just sitting there (I'm assuming you're working at a desk not building things) Better you're talking to THEM (Cats have a very shaky understanding of the telephone or the computer.)

Just shut the door and do your work. Play with them when you take breaks. Feel free to rush out and see what caused the crash you heard because otherwise you won't be able to concentrate for wondering what it was.

Always remember, you are the keeper of the door. You got two cats so they can amuse themselves. If you worked in an office they would be amusing themselves with no one to rescue them from whatever caused the crash you heard. Shut the door, ignore the scratching and meowing. They will give up.

Scratches on wood doors can be repaired by spreading a thick layer of mayonnaise - yep, mayo the stuff you put on your sandwich- doesn't have to be expensive. Spread it over the scratches - if you use your fingers you've also got hand cream going on. Let it sit over night and wipe away the remaining with paper towels. You'll probably want to keep the cats away from the door while it's soaking in, they might lick it off.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found some limited success with give the cats a place of their own next tot he desk/computer/keyboard. It doesn’t always work, but if you reward them with treats or toys when they go there and hiss or ignore them when they bother you maybe they will get the message. You can make it extra attractive if it’s by a window or by using a heated cat bed.

This in conjunction with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner ’s great suggestion of vigorous play before worktime.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give them a chair each or a cat tree by my desk..... but zero play happens in office. If they bug you, kick the cat that is causing a fuss out of your office. Sticking to set working hours will help. As will a lunch/play break at the same time every day. My bedroom is a strict no play zone.
I would also start my work a little early so you have extra time to settle them. A play session in the morning, feeding them should help get them to leave you alone. Puzzle feeders and rotating interactive toys in another room couldn't hurt.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They come to play with you when you're working because you are staying in one place just sitting there (I'm assuming you're working at a desk not building things) Better you're talking to THEM (Cats have a very shaky understanding of the telephone or the computer.)

Just shut the door and do your work. Play with them when you take breaks. Feel free to rush out and see what caused the crash you heard because otherwise you won't be able to concentrate for wondering what it was.

Always remember, you are the keeper of the door. You got two cats so they can amuse themselves. If you worked in an office they would be amusing themselves with no one to rescue them from whatever caused the crash you heard. Shut the door, ignore the scratching and meowing. They will give up.

Scratches on wood doors can be repaired by spreading a thick layer of mayonnaise - yep, mayo the stuff you put on your sandwich- doesn't have to be expensive. Spread it over the scratches - if you use your fingers you've also got hand cream going on. Let it sit over night and wipe away the remaining with paper towels. You'll probably want to keep the cats away from the door while it's soaking in, they might lick it off.
Great advice and humor all in one! :flail:
Cats are like kids, so are most animals. If they complain a little and you ignore it, they'll complain louder, and if you give in and let them in/do whatever it is they want when they go from quiet peeps to full out yowling and screeching, it won't be long before they know that the louder they are, the quicker your response.
Ever been "that guy" or "that gal" standing in line to buy food with a fuss pot of a 2 year old? They see that candy that's placed by the register, start grabbing for it, you say no and try to distract them, they get louder, you try to be stern, their faces turn purple and they scream like Freddy and Jason has come for them and you finally buy them the damned candy bar to just keep strangers from staring at you?
When Baby Girl was little, she'd follow me around whenever I had food and peep at me, I'd ignore her a little and she's peep louder. Coming from a kitten that's barely 2 pounds, it's cute.
Coming from a 6 month old, not so much, because when I decided to get tough with her and ignore her, she leaped up and pulled my pants down :flail::flail:
I thought it would be good to add...
if your cats sense you're upset or unhappy with them, it can make this problem worse.
Making sure their needs are met, then concentrating on working and not them, they'll learn the routine.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was recently you started working from home, cats take a LONG time to adjust from any changes in their environment. It is novel/new for you to be home right now, something interesting and something they like, so they WILL be pests for weeks, maybe even a few months. But eventually the novelty will wear off and they will find you are not much fun when you are working and they will amuse themselves in some other way. You cannot reward them by stopping and playing, feeding or really paying them much attention right now. My cats, when I am on the computer just lay as close as they can, draped around the table and chairs. If they come up and want attention I just tell them NO sternly and push them away, they get the point. This is going to take time. Cats do not respond to physical punishment, they do not have a 'pack' mentality and live to please you. Spraying them tells them you are trying to hurt them and they will just become afraid of you and sneaky. I would try feeding them a big meal before you start, lay out some new fresh toys that have been steeping in a plastic bag with catnip, and ignore them. If they come up, tell them NO loudly and sternly and push them away, maybe showing them a place they CAN lay and yet be close and keep bringing them there.
Cats are stubborn, and it will take a while, but they are not stupid and like a small child resisting proper manners,will learn over time through repetition and parental persistence.
I know it's a pain right now, but it will improve over time, they will find more interesting things to do. You might get something new, like a cat tree to excite them, and give them something new to focus on. They are like children that need to have limits set, they love you and don't want you displeased and are bewildered right now as to why you won't play and pay attention to them. Rules and limits can be much more effective taught through patience, repetition, and rewards than by punishment causing fear and resentment.
All the luck and PLEASE post when you find a solution and what it was, it always helps to learn other methods!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Husband shuts the door to his office when he wants to get something done. I would NEVER squirt them with water.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would NEVER squirt them with water.
If it was my comment that offended you about the spraying, I was only basing it on what you originally posted (see below). Sorry, if I somehow misunderstood...

They wont go if I just move them so I started spraying them with a water bottle. Honestly I dont like doing this I am afraid they will start avoiding me all together.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was my comment that offended you about the spraying, I was only basing it on what you originally posted (see below). Sorry, if I somehow misunderstood...
Not sure why you're quoting me. I'm not the original OP and was just meaning with my comment that it's not a good idea to spay cats with water, because they will not associate what they're doing with being sprayed. They'll associate it with the one who sprays them and learn to stay away from that person, not just the situation a person wants them away. I know I didn't expand on the thought, so sorry about that.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have found two things that work...sorta. I tried ignoring her when she marched across the keyboard. Absolutely never worked. I would sit back and close my eyes, totally unengaged. Ailish just sat down (on the keyboard) and stared at me. Because I wanted to get work done, I was never able to outlast her.

So one time when she leaped up while I was working I just petted her until she had had enough (about 5 minutes for her) and she jumped down and went about her business. This only works if your cat has a finite (and reasonable) amount of that she will tolerate being petted.

The other thing was to put a chair next to mine where she could lie and be petted from time to time. I was surprised when this worked, but it does much of the time. I think it depends on the individual cat. There is always the shut the door thing, which I do if I need to get right to something and don't have time to play games. This causes some grudge bearing and even some naughty behavior that is not usual for her, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!