Will my 9 week old kitten survive?

Chel Vier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody, I'm a bit scared for the survival of my kitten. Some say,they shouldn't be separated at 9 weeks old, some say otherwise. Will mine survive? To be honest I'm not sure why they had to separate the mother and the kitten. Any tips and tricks to help her survive? She is a picky eater that's why I'm recently force-feeding her.
IMG20201004062710.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
9 weeks is young, yes, and there may be a struggle with some cat manners, but at that age they should be eating and drinking and using the litterbox just fine. 8 weeks used to be considered the right age for rehoming because of that, but now we know that isn't the whole story.

So I'm kind of concerned that she isn't eating well. What have you tried? What were they feeding her at her previous home? Has she been to the vet yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chel Vier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she uses the litter box just fine, and her poop and pee is normal. The previous owner told me she already eats wet and dry food, but they advice to feed her more wet food then gradually give dry food. That's what I've been doing, however she just licks her food for about 5 licks and refuses to eat. I've also been given her goat's milk and she loves it. I think she's still adjusting at our house that's why she's been eating very little but I'm not really sure. Been planning to go to the vet on the kitten's 7th day here in our house to lessen her stress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chel Vier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Early this morning I forced fed a half spoon of wet food, this lunch she ate 1 1/2 of teaspoon wet food.

I'll try that this evening, yes hope she'll like it. She's so tiny

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs to eat 6 times a day right now because she is tiny and growing. Please offer food all day long and see that she has milk, wet food, and dry food at all times. It can be small amounts, but it gives her the chance to eat when she wants to.

If you just got her she will still be adjusting to her new home without her mom. Give her time. She is adorable! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, her stomach is so tiny it can only hold a little at a time. So she needs more frequent meals. You can leave canned food down for a few hours without it spoiling, but if you don't want to do that, at least make sure she has dry food and fresh water all the time, and feed the canned food at least 4 times a day, but 5 or 6 times is better.