Will I Be Able To Ignore Them?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Friends of TCS,
Like many of you might know I am the carer of a colony of feral cats. They are at my workplace, where I feed them every day when I go to work, and where I have the permission to access when the site is closed (weekends and holidays).
I was even awarded the badge for being a friend of ferals.

I always bought them the food, I paid for their spaying and their health care when needed. All this money was out of my pocket and I didn't care.

I also have a couple of semi-ferals around my home, that I have to feed regularly.

Then my two house cats fell ill.
Some of you might know of Lola, who was seriously sick from a rare disease who cost me a fortune to treat exactly two years ago. But I didn't care. And only two months later she was diagnosed with an oral SCC that took her away from me in March last year. The cancer treatments cost me a fortune too, but I didn't care.

Then it was Pallina's turn. Some of you have followed her HT issues, the trip abroad to have her treated with I-131. This cost me another fortune, but I didn't care.
Then something weird happened, she got a liver disease of unknown nature, we fought hard for months, it cost me another fortune, but I didn't care.

Well, I never cared. I always paid for all vet bills and the best food.

Till the moment when I realized that I hadn't cared too many times and now my bank account is totally drained, especially after the last three vet bills for Pallina.

To top this all, I just found two kittens (not siblings) in desperate conditions that I have taken home after having them cured at the vets' using the last money I had...

Now I realize that not only I cannot afford to give these tiny furballs what they need (the vets and the pharmacy were so kind to cut on the bills) in term of food, but even my colony is at risk, because I won't be able to buy them the food they need daily.

So I think that along these years "I bit more than I could chew", I spent all I had for cats, and now I am paying the consequences.
Will I be able to turn my face the other side when I see another kitten in need?
How will I give up the colony? Will I be able to ignore them most of the days?
Did any of you have to take such a terrible decision?
Did any of you find themselves in such a situation even for a short moment in life? How did you manage this situation?
Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Yes! Many of us. Here are some tips. On the packages of cat food and cat litter you will find a phone number. It is the number of the company that manufactures the products. CALL them. Tell them your story. Ask for help. Not for you but for the kitties. I have never been turned down. It isn’t cash but instead predicts the cats need. Food, litter, worm meds. Etc. You will get coupons for free or discounted products. Start with that. Do it right away. Tell them you will report back to us of their generosity. We will want to know which companies actually care about the cats they make their money off of. I know I do. I am more likely to buy for them than other companies. If they care I will trust their product. I am pressed for time right now but I will be back with more suggestions of things that have helped me. Don’t give up. You are still not alone in your struggles. ( remember me?);)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also check with local animal welfare groups. They sometimes get more food donations than they can use, and let owners and feral caretakers have the extras. Check with stores, too, to see if you can get their expired food that would normally be thrown away. In the US that's illegal but maybe Italy is different.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
What a horrible decision to have to make. I had two cats at work I fed for several months, like you I had access to the property on weekends and holidays. My boss questioned me about feeding them and I explained that I could not watch them starve.

I did not have the money to pay for all the vet visits required so I got pay advances from work. My boss was a little reluctant at first but I told him I could not watch them get sick and die. I could not afford to feed an unlimited number of cats so they had to get spayed and neutered. There really is no arguing against being a humane person so my boss agreed. I paid work back over the course of several months by taking hours off my work week. I am fortunate that I work for a private company and directly with the owners.

It would have killed me inside if I had to ignore the cats at work. I am sure it is going to cause you a great deal of pain if it is your only option. I hope and pray you can find some way around your current situation.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to local stores/chains (Wal-Mart, PetSmart, etc.) that carry pet food. Tell them your situation. If they look suspicious, give them the address and times you're there and tell them you'd be glad to have them stop by for a look. And explain to them that your bank account is officially drained and you need help to feed these ferals.
Hint at them that you could take pictures of the cats, write up little stories with the cats name and color etc., and send it to them so they could put it on their company face book page. It's good PR for the company to have it plastered all over their face book that they donate food to homeless animals, and any owner or manager with a single brain cell knows this.
We spoke with a local chain store when we were actively housing rescue cats/kittens and we were kind of blown away with the donations...dented cans (food was fine, just not "pretty" enough for sale) and bags of kibble that had a hole in them, patched up, and the food was absolutely fine. Some companies would rather throw it out than give it away, don't waste your time with them as many stores will happily donate this food.
I don't envy your situation but I do envy your dedication and concern. Hang in there. It'll all turn out OK.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a horrible decision to have to make. I had two cats at work I fed for several months, like you I had access to the property on weekends and holidays. My boss questioned me about feeding them and I explained that I could not watch them starve.

I did not have the money to pay for all the vet visits required so I got pay advances from work. My boss was a little reluctant at first but I told him I could not watch them get sick and die. I could not afford to feed an unlimited number of cats so they had to get spayed and neutered. There really is no arguing against being a humane person so my boss agreed. I paid work back over the course of several months by taking hours off my work week. I am fortunate that I work for a private company and directly with the owners.

It would have killed me inside if I had to ignore the cats at work. I am sure it is going to cause you a great deal of pain if it is your only option. I hope and pray you can find some way around your current situation.
I'm glad your boss was decent and is probably very impressed that you were willing to pay this loan back slowly, week by week. If I were your boss, I'd never let you quit your job.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thought..
It was mentioned here awhile back that someone was using dog food (kibble) as a mixer to feed ferals to cut costs. The general assumption was this was OK so long as it was mixed and fed with regular taurine-inclusive cat food, and that dog food was either mixed or fed on a rare basis (2-3 times a week) to supplement what these highly intelligent creatures (that could run circles around our own hunting) are provided by us.
If things get rough, don't write this off as a supplemental belly-filler. The goal is feeding, not "optimum nutrition". They do well on their own on this IMO.
Most ferals hunt on a full stomach. Feed a feral a huge meal of new york strip steak and all that fancy stuff, then watch them gorge and then take to the fields for a kill. It's their nature and what they do.
I have no life, so a few nights ago I watched a half feral of ours in a nearby field for a solid hour patiently stalk, wait, watch, stalk some more and eventually come up with some weird creature like a mouse or a vole or an insect.
I kept thinking "if you were this patient, you wouldn't have a to do list a mile long and you wouldn't meet a squeaky door hinge with curses and a mild stroke before remembering WD40."
I'm not nearly as smart or patient as a feral cat and I damned well know it. Their patience with things and persistent nature is inspiring.
During this long, drawn out stalk/hunt thing, the barn cat food dish was freshly full. This cat is not starving. Actually, she's a bit fat, and the hunt and kill thing was instinct. If you cannot feed these cats daily, assuming all are clawed and all that stuff, I figure what you give them is likely supplemental. I know that doesn't make you feel better (it wouldn't me), but it's probably true.
If we could put a go-pro strapped to these ferals heads, we'd probably be amazed (and maybe a bit sickened and grossed out, LOL) by what they are able to hunt and kill and eat on their own despite a full food dish at a "safe" location.
Hang in there man. It'll be OK.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another addition, I don’t know what is plentiful or inexpensive there so this is just a possibility. I have cooked large pots of white rice mixed in with large pots of chicken stewed in water. The broth is plentiful. I do strain out the bones. It could be done with any chicken parts and I would guess fish too. It makes huge amounts of food. I do grind it up a bit. Probably not necessary but I want the rice combined so they don’t pick out the meat. This can be fed to kitties or added as a filler to other foods. It helped me stretch the budget. It keeps well in the refrigerator and reheats easily into the needed portions.
Don’t worry. I am still going air too and yet I can still find a way. I look back and wonder how I got so far on so little but things have a way of turning up just when you feel helpless. You are doing the right thing for the right reasons. I will continue to keep you and the kitties in my thoughts, hopes and prayers. I will be back. Please keep posting.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65
Your devotion to all your furbabies is exceptional.
Your financial position is challenging, but is hopefully a temporary issue.
You may need to ask rescues and shelters in your extended area to assist you with vet care and basics for any additional fosters you want to take in.

Please realize that cats do not REQUIRE the most expensive, premium foods. The basic brands provide cats with the necessary vitamins and minerals. These foods are not the same quality of the foods you have been providing to all your cats. However, these foods do provide cats with complete nutritional requirements.
Even your new fragile kittens are not likely to require premium foods all the time.
Jcatbird Jcatbird W Willowy Shane Kent Shane Kent and
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 all have other good ideas.

A butchers shop or grocer may be willing to provide you with slightly old or ugly meat or chicken parts you can cook up with rice and use to supplement cat foods.
I know you're in Italy, and the grocers are different there. The grocery stores here in the US usually have cut and wrapped meats that did not sell by the expiration date. Often these are 50% off the retail price.

Contact the rescues in your area. They often have "pet food pantries" for people who manage feral colonies or are going through financially difficult times. These rescues realize that assisting owners to keep their cats is far more humane and much less expensive than having those cats become owner surrenders. The shelters may also assist with basic vet care for your fosters.

Pet stores and larger retailers usually have damaged packages of cat litter they might donate.

The rescue where I used to volunteer did receive many damaged bags of food from large retailers like Walmart or grocers and would distribute that to colony keepers and pet owners.
I hope you sort the situation out. Please let us know how you are doing.
Carol

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another addition, I don’t know what is plentiful or inexpensive there so this is just a possibility. I have cooked large pots of white rice mixed in with large pots of chicken stewed in water. The broth is plentiful. I do strain out the bones. It could be done with any chicken parts and I would guess fish too. It makes huge amounts of food. I do grind it up a bit. Probably not necessary but I want the rice combined so they don’t pick out the meat. This can be fed to kitties or added as a filler to other foods. It helped me stretch the budget. It keeps well in the refrigerator and reheats easily into the needed portions.
Don’t worry. I am still going air too and yet I can still find a way. I look back and wonder how I got so far on so little but things have a way of turning up just when you feel helpless. You are doing the right thing for the right reasons. I will continue to keep you and the kitties in my thoughts, hopes and prayers. I will be back. Please keep posting.
I've done the ol' chicken and rice bit when food was difficult to order. Aside from one that does not handle grains, everyone was fine with rice bulking out their meals for a few days. And strangely, my cats like it.
Another idea for bulking stuff out is asking ANY butcher that does packing/processing if they have scraps or offal (hearts sometimes don't sell well) and if they would be willing to grind it for you. Depending on your freezer space, this might not work, but it would be a nice healthy additive and sometimes butchers give these things away...no cost, happy cats, happy butcher that doesn't have to toss food.
If you shop for cans or bags, ask the store employees if there are any bags or cans deemed unfit for sale due to dents and the stuff we talked about earlier.
And don't be afraid to shop sales. I've seen quality cans of cat food slashed 75% because the expiration date is near, a month or two away, and they want to move inventory.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Yes! Many of us. Here are some tips. On the packages of cat food and cat litter you will find a phone number. It is the number of the company that manufactures the products. CALL them. Tell them your story. Ask for help. Not for you but for the kitties.
This sounds like a very good idea, I will call them on Monday, when the whole week is ahead and things can go smoother.
Thanks!

You are still not alone in your struggles. ( remember me?);)
Of course I remember you! ;)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also check with local animal welfare groups. They sometimes get more food donations than they can use, and let owners and feral caretakers have the extras.
Unfortunately this cannot be done.
The groups I know already struggle with food, one of them recently told me they lack kitten food and they are in serious trouble with money.
Despite this, this group gave me a bit of help with one of the two kittens I rescued last week.

Check with stores, too, to see if you can get their expired food that would normally be thrown away. In the US that's illegal but maybe Italy is different.
In Italy no food can be put on the shelves after the expire date.
In addition, no shop or store can give out any kind of goods for free. It's the law!
They have to print a receipt for anything that leaves the premises, or a heavy fine can be applied, crazy country this one!

They could, though, print a receipt with a symbolic amount for a certain expense, but they couldn't sell or give out anything expired.
I hope they have something next to expiring.

Thanks for your reply!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to congratulate with you on your brave commitment, you are great indeed!

I did not have the money to pay for all the vet visits required so I got pay advances from work.
This is not possible at my workplace, because I can't speak directly to the owner. It's a multinational, we're all pawns in a bigger scheme where I work...
But thanks to generous national laws, nobody can deny the carer the access to a cat colony once that this colony has been registered at the health office.
That's why I have this permission.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to local stores/chains (Wal-Mart, PetSmart, etc.) that carry pet food. Tell them your situation. If they look suspicious, give them the address and times you're there and tell them you'd be glad to have them stop by for a look. And explain to them that your bank account is officially drained and you need help to feed these ferals.
Hint at them that you could take pictures of the cats, write up little stories with the cats name and color etc., and send it to them so they could put it on their company face book page.
As I said in an earlier reply, in Italy the law forbids any shop to give out any good for free, even if it is for a just cause.
They should sell them for a very low price in order to print a receipt.
Receipts are proof of selling, but also a document for taxation, so they must print a receipt for the exact amount of money that I paid for.

I have no Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media page, so I couldn't tell the world how kind they would be.
Anyway, I will try and contact the two big chains that have a store in my area.
I will let you know, though I think I already know their answer...

Thank you!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may need to ask rescues and shelters in your extended area to assist you with vet care and basics for any additional fosters you want to take in.
Local rescues and groups are in difficulty already.
I didn't mention it in my first post, but for years I bought food for them too, because they were in dire need. Another expense I did, and didn't care about...
And still they are, because I'm in contact with them regularly, and I know they are in a bad situation as well.
But there's a thing they can do to get out of trouble, they can set up a day in a weekend where they collect food at the main stores. They set up a stall, and customers buy food for them, and at the end of the day the local group has collected food and supplies that are worth hundreds or thousands. And the next weekend they go to another big store and do the same thing again.
They can do that, I cannot, because I'm not registered as a rescue group, I'm an individual.

I know you're in Italy, and the grocers are different there. The grocery stores here in the US usually have cut and wrapped meats that did not sell by the expiration date. Often these are 50% off the retail price.
Because of the increasing number of supermarkets, local butchers have closed down, so it's unlikely I will find one in the surroundings.
Furthermore, I'm vegetarian, I hadn't walked in a butcher's shop in decades, they don't know me, and I think they wouldn't trust me. Believe me, Italians are not how you think they are!

Pet stores and larger retailers usually have damaged packages of cat litter they might donate.
This can be a good possibility!
Thanks a lot![/user]

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ask the store employees if there are any bags or cans deemed unfit for sale due to dents and the stuff we talked about earlier.
And don't be afraid to shop sales. I've seen quality cans of cat food slashed 75% because the expiration date is near, a month or two away, and they want to move inventory.
This sounds good!
I'll do that!
Thanks.