Will a cat's nail grow back if it was completely ripped off and only the flesh part is left?

FrogThecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ouch !!! Yes his claw will grow back but it will take a few months. Keep checking on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. That's the biggest concern.
The same thing happened to my cat, but I’m not worried if it will grow back or not, I’m worried if he will keep losing them. My cat has been recently loosing a lot of his claws, first losing the one full claw, then coming back with another bloody one. Finally losing 2 more in a day. It’s starting to scare me.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry your post hasn't received any replies before now F FrogThecat . This is an old thread and many who were posting here may not be watching or on line now.

Does your cat go outside? It may be that he is getting in serious fights with other cats, or is climbing and exploring a space where his claws are getting caught up and pulling out. It is important to know where and how the injury is happening so you can prevent it recurring. If an indoor cat loses a claw it is usually because it has been tangled up in sizal or looped carpet threads when they have been jumping or running.

You should also consider clipping your cat's claws to reduce the length of any hook on the claws as long, hooked claws are more likely to become tangled in things and get pulled out.

Laurapola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! Someone who can help me! I just saw that my cat is bleeding in both pawns, I am not sure about what happened to him. Thanks