Will a cat's nail grow back if it was completely ripped off and only the flesh part is left?

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how it happened, but I noticed around the 26th of December that my cat's paw was bleeding and he the nail was almost all gone. I figured that he must have got his nail stuck on something and it tore off when he tried to pull it away. About a week ago, I noticed the nail is gone completely and all of it is missing, just the flesh part is left. When it first happened, we could barely look at it since he was in so much pain if we tried to look at it. Now we are able to look at it, but he still tries to pull his paw away and makes a fuss so I think it might still hurt him a little. I'm really worried that it might not grow back. My husband thinks that he sees the nail growing back a little, but I don't think it is. I'm also worried because it's been a while since it happened and that spot is still very red and looks bad. We wanted to wait a while before taking him into the vet since we're not sure if there's anything they could do and I've heard that if he isn't showing pain while walking, then he should be fine. Me and my husband took a picture of his nail a few minutes ago so you guys could see what it looks like and if it is sever. I would appreciate any help and advice since I'm really worried about my baby.

Last edited:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ouch !!! Yes his claw will grow back but it will take a few months. Keep checking on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. That's the biggest concern.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You really should have a vet take a look at it - the last thing you want is for it to get infected, if it isn't already. Our last cat tore out a claw when he got it caught in the top of a radiator. The vet cleaned it thoroughly and gave him antibiotics (a shot and ointment) to prevent an infection. The claw grew back, but it was never 100%. It was gray, crooked, and usually a bit frayed. I used to have to clip it regularly because it caught on everything, including his other claws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't believe how fast you both responded, thank you so much! I love how everyone is so friendly and helpful on this site :)!
Ouch !!! Yes his claw will grow back but it will take a few months. Keep checking on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. That's the biggest concern.
Yeah poor Mew :( It really does look painful, but the good news is that it doesn't bother him unless you try to look at it. We keep checking every few days on it to make sure it is doing alright and he is okay. How could we tell if it got infected, would it turn a different color? I'm asking since this is my first time dealing with anything like this. I'm so happy to hear that his nail will grow back and it is such a relief, even if it does take a few months. I was so upset and crying because I felt like it was my fault that he lost his nail, because we we're in a new apartment and I didn't watch him good enough. I was worried that what happened was similar to declawing a cat and that it wouldn't grow back. I'm not sure when they declaw a cat if they also take the pink flesh part away and I always assumed they just removed the nail like how Mew's paw looks. I know nothing about declawing though since none of my cat's have even been declawed and it's not something I believe in. But since it grows back, I'm guessing it would be like if a human's finger nail came off and that would take a long time to grow back completely.
You really should have a vet take a look at it - the last thing you want is for it to get infected, if it isn't already. Our last cat tore out a claw when he got it caught in the top of a radiator. The vet cleaned it thoroughly and gave him antibiotics (a shot and ointment) to prevent an infection. The claw grew back, but it was never 100%. It was gray, crooked, and usually a bit frayed. I used to have to clip it regularly because it caught on everything, including his other claws.
I really don't want it to get infected. We've been doing everything to make sure it stays healthy and doesn't become infected. I'm sorry to hear what happened to you're baby. It is always horrible to see them suffering. It would be good though if a vet could clean it thoroughly. I had no idea that they would also give a cat a shot and ointment, but it's really good they do. I'm glad to hear the claw did grow back but it is unfortunate that it was never 100% the same and delicate.

kinglouis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This has just happened to my cat, the nail was completely missing and just the flesh was left, now the flesh seems to be wearing away too, poor little boy. I took him to the vets and they gave him antibiotics and painkillers. You can tell if it's infected as it will smell. You have to keep a close eye on things because apparently if they have a tumour in the toe it can push the nail off, How's your baby getting on now ?

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Infection smelling is very very advanced - you don't want to wait for that sign.

Infection can be seen as it would in a human.  Puffiness, swelling, redness, pain.  Later, weeping, wetness, pus.  Then necrotising flesh (that's flesh that is dying), and smell, and at the extreme stage you will see pathways of infection/rot spreading up the limb/body- obviously easy to see on a non-hairy body.  Like in humans, if infection is not stopped, it can lead to the loss of a limb or to death - severe infections require amputation to save the life (if you catch it in time - sometimes it is beyond that and will be fatal).

Don't let this scare your witless though - it is just information.  And cats are pretty hardy!  However...

I would strongly advise a vet visit.  

At the very least, it will cost a little money and give you peace of mind and a good regime of care while the paw is healing - and what to look out for in case you need to take him back in.  If you know your vet, you can even just ring and explain and ask if a visit is warranted (I often do this - sometimes it is a 'wait and see' response, sometimes 'bring him/her in').

I have had a few accidents (rather, my cats have) over the years, and truely, sometimes things just happen and are out of our control.  What is in our control is the healing care they receive.  I had a vehicle gate roll over my girl's pad last year - severe crush injury to the soft tissue requiring surgery to remove flesh that was too damaged to heal, but thankfully no bones crushed.  I felt woeful.  But I took her within 5 mins to the vet, and I followed every bit of after care.  She is fine as fine now.

After a cat fight (when she nicked off - normally a house cat), I took her in for a check on her cuts.  From this, I learned the hidden danger of infection lying underneath the skin level.  It can abcess under the skin (not good).  Luckily all was fine for her, but I mention it as it may also be a concern for your cat's injury...and a vet check would be good.

kinglouis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help and advice, it was 9 days ago that I noticed my cats claw was missing and I took him straight to the vets, the vet said as it had a slight smell it may be infected so prescribed anti biotics and pain killers, 9 days later it looks no better so he's going back to the vets to get checked out later, I think it's because he keeps licking it, I don't know if I can continue to give antibiotics for more than a week (I have some left) or whether if he wasn't on painkillers he may stop licking it ? I will let you know what the vet says later, thanks for your support, when you love your babies it's such a worry :-(

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
One of my previous cats managed to pull out a claw from a back paw racing away from the vacuum one night - her claw got stuck in the carpet as she dug her claws in to make the sharp turn to get out of the door.  When I went to check on her and calm her down there were little blood foot prints to where she was curled up.  Gave me quite a shock.   I took her straight to the vet but as I knew what she had done, it was imediately treated and no infection had had a chance to set in the vet taped up her paw after he cleaned it thoroughly so that it would prevent risk of infection or of her licking and chewing it.   She was freaked out by the bandage though and every time she caught a glimps of the white taped paw she jumped up in the air all pufffed up and tried to run away from herself.  It was taped up for about 5 days and then the vet checked it was healing and left uncovered for the claw to grow back.

I hope your little cat is OK and this is from a similar kind of incident not some other health issue.   I'm glad you are taking him back to the vet to get things checked out.  It could well be that he is licking and chewing at the wound but the vet will hopefully have a good idea when they see him again, and extend the antibiotic if that is what is needed.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my previous cats ...   She was freaked out by the bandage though and every time she caught a glimps of the white taped paw she jumped up in the air all pufffed up and tried to run away from herself.  ...
Poor kitty! I can just see her hair all standing on end while running away!

kinglouis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww poor thing, thanks for your reply. I wish the vet had taped up his paw, instead he has fitted him with a buster collar which he hates ! he has to wear this for a week so he can't lick and he's not allowed out so he's in a proper moody :-( and I have to clean it with a solution twice a day. If it hasn't healed after a week there may be an 'underlying issue' and he may have to have the end of his toe removed ouch, lets hope for the best. He can't eat or drink with his collar on so i'm taking it off at mealtimes, my only worry is that he won't be able to drink when he wants too ? Poor little boy looks very depressed, hope he gets used to the collar ? seems a bit dangerous, he tried to jump up onto the table earlier and the collar got in the way and he fell backwards onto the hard floor, worried about going to bed and leaving him downstairs in case he injures himself while i'm asleep :-( 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, poor guy getting a 'collar of shame'.   Cats always look so sad when they have to wear them, and it takes ages for them to get used to what they can't do because they've lost their usual whisker feedback.   After a couple of attempted jumps the chances are he will give up but if you are worried I'd take him up to your room with you - unless it's usually out of bounds.    

Is his water usually in a bowl?   He might prefer food and water in shallow saucers or plates with the collar on, and if there is an easy to reach tap with good space around it he might drink from there too, but a saucer is probably easiest.

The vet must want to keep the wound visible in case any infection becomes aparent as they won't want that to be sealed in.   Lots of positive vibes for the toe healing over the coming days and no complications or underlying reasons for this.   

kinglouis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the positive vibes ! They are much needed. I've been feeling so sorry for him that I've been taking the collar off when I can keep my eye on him to make sure he doesn't lick, I expect i'm doing the wrong thing ? It's so difficult though because he looks so depressed. He can't reach any food or drink with the collar on even in a saucer, he is a siamese and has incredibly long back legs so he had to have a very deep collar to stop him from getting his back paw toe to his tongue, i'm supposed to help him by feeding him on a spoon or the like but i'm just taking it off at mealtimes and spooned him some drink before I went to bed. The bedroom is 'out of bounds' otherwise my hubby can't sleep, I was anxious over night but he was ok this morning, the antibiotics and painkillers continue as well as me washing it twice a day, it's extremely hard to be strict about the collar as he hates it so much but it really needs to heal. Is it so bad to take it off when I can keep my eye on him ? Thanks for all your help :-)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I read here on site that quite a few people take the colars off for when their cat is feeding with direct supervision.   It would not be good to keep it off longer periods though unless you know he is right there in front of you and no way he is bothering at his paw.   I'm lucky that none of my cats have ever had to wear a colar but know I would find it hard - seeing their miserable little face and posture.   Hopefully this will not be for long though so keep that in your thoughts.  

kinglouis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again for your kind wishes and thoughts. It's extremely difficult because he's definitely depressed with it on, he looks sad, ashamed, angry and upset all at once, he hides under the bed and won't purr, he's not talking to me and must think i'm just being mean, it's so awful because I can't explain it to him. , I've tried with 'sign language' and an intense conversation lol but he just doesn't seem to get it, I thought he might because being siamese he is very intelligent and communicative (normally). I came down yesterday morning to find he'd managed to get the collar off, must have been outside and had been at the paw so quite a set back unfortunately, the bow on the collar was actually undone (told you he was clever) Last night I did it up tight and it was still on this morning but he's very upset with me this morning, the heartache continues :-(

mblackwell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the post and photo. I trim my 3 indoor-only cats nails once a week and discovered this EXACT injury on a rear toe of one of the cats a few days ago. I have no idea how she did it. Our new carpet is a loop/pile blend, but there was no blood anywhere and neither of the other cats have been injured. This particular cat likes to have a 'frenzy' every evening and dart about in our silk/plastic palm tree, so maybe that caused the injury. Since I keep their nails trimmed as short as possible, I'm surprised it could snag on anything in the first place. I have been cleaning her toe with saline and applied neosporin ointment to the raw nub with a Q-tip. She doesn't like having the foot handled, but tolerates the 'treatment' well considering how painful it must be. I'm glad to hear the nail will grow back, which is why I went fishing on-line to see if this has happened to other cats and what was the outcome. I just wish I knew how the injury occurred so I can prevent it. She still has her evening frenzy and acts normal except when I handle the injured paw. She mostly stands on the pot rim and scales the fake plant with her front paws, so most likely the carpet.

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you for the post and photo. I trim my 3 indoor-only cats nails once a week and discovered this EXACT injury on a rear toe of one of the cats a few days ago. I have no idea how she did it. Our new carpet is a loop/pile blend, but there was no blood anywhere and neither of the other cats have been injured. This particular cat likes to have a 'frenzy' every evening and dart about in our silk/plastic palm tree, so maybe that caused the injury. Since I keep their nails trimmed as short as possible, I'm surprised it could snag on anything in the first place. I have been cleaning her toe with saline and applied neosporin ointment to the raw nub with a Q-tip. She doesn't like having the foot handled, but tolerates the 'treatment' well considering how painful it must be. I'm glad to hear the nail will grow back, which is why I went fishing on-line to see if this has happened to other cats and what was the outcome. I just wish I knew how the injury occurred so I can prevent it. She still has her evening frenzy and acts normal except when I handle the injured paw. She mostly stands on the pot rim and scales the fake plant with her front paws, so most likely the carpet.
Hey :) I wanted to share my great news as well!! Everyone was right! Mew's nail did grow back :D It does look slightly different now (whiter and thicker) than the other nails, but it's something you won't notice unless you pay attention. Mew doesn't seem to be bothered by it which is great! It did take a few months to come back, but I'm just happy he's okay. I'm sorry to hear your cat was injured :( I know how horrifying it can be when something like this happens. It's great to hear you are keeping the area cleaned and adding medicine. That will keep the infection away and make sure she heals faster! It does suck you don't know how the injury happened, but hopefully it was just a freak accident and it won't happen again :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
That is great news @jenniator  .   Now you mention it, Pal's claw looked like that when it grew back but it looking different was probably useful as it always reminded me to be extra gentle when I was clipping that one.

@Seventhheaven   I knew there was another thread with some similar experiences to yours but couldn't remember the title.  Hope the other stories shared here are helpful for you.   

Such a painful injury, but it does seem to be one most cats recover well from if the paw is kept clean and the cat is not allowed to 'bother' or chew the sore area.

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That is great news @jenniator  .   Now you mention it, Pal's claw looked like that when it grew back but it looking different was probably useful as it always reminded me to be extra gentle when I was clipping that one.

@Seventhheaven   I knew there was another thread with some similar experiences to yours but couldn't remember the title.  Hope the other stories shared here are helpful for you.   

Such a painful injury, but it does seem to be one most cats recover well from if the paw is kept clean and the cat is not allowed to 'bother' or chew the sore area.
I'm glad Pal's claw is doing well :D Yeah I'm always careful when I'm clipping that one since I'm worried.

crimson dynasty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad to hear the nail will grow back. We discovered (belatedly) that one of our cats Cookie Dough hates crates. By the time we returned home she had tore out 3 nails. I used to work for a vet so knew about cleaning and antibiotics, I just didn't know if my baby's nails would come back. We have trained her to harness but this is useless when we go to Dr or store.

crimson dynasty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Noted you have adult cat or kitten by peoples names. We have a senior cat(Possom),middle aged(Kiwi)2year old(Choc.ChipCookieDoughIceCream,and a 4month kitten Bagheera(jungle book)