Why would your cat get sick after the vet

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat got sick after visiting the vet for a teeth cleaning. I have been nursing two sick kitties because of this and find it frustrating, especially after we almost had to take our other kitty to the emergency room last night with not being able to breath through his nose. I could understand a shelter environment, where cats are in close proximity to one another for long periods of time. But not a vet... unless they did not have proper hygiene.

Has anyone else ever had this problem

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Agreed on the stress. Anything that was lurking in the background or an underlying condition could easily be triggered by the stress of a procedure. URI. UTI. Chronic conditions. Even just feeling slightly depressed because of the stress. All of it can result in a cat acting or actually being sick after medical procedures. Not to mention, if your cat is on an antibiotic or pain medication those can also make your cat not feel their best. I know I tend to feel out of sorts when I am on antibiotics.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah stress alone can do it. My Hima has gingivitis and she gets a dental flare-up after every vet visit. Her worst was after a vet visit too and nothing was done to her teeth/mouth. It's pure stress.

After a procedure things might be sore too, acting like sick. I try to add some immune-boosting thing before or after vet visits. Usually her usual milk thistle-curcumin supplement AND Fortiflora for the next couple days.

hurricanemix100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This happened to my cat. I even called the vet and implied maybe they have a bug spreading around the office or something. She was like no it's pretty common for a cat to get sick after the vet. She said especially shelter cats because they often feline coronavirus which they essentially have for life but it only activates every once in a while. Especially after stressful situations.