Why won't my cat stop

Krisskriss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all I have a spayed female kitten who is about 9 months old. I recently moved houses with my kitten b it has been 3 weeks in the new house and she will not stop using the bathroom everywhere b she has a large litter box that gets scooped daily and fresh litter like twice a week. Her favorite place to pee is on clothes or carpet but she will poop anywhere this morning I woke up to poop in the middle of my kitchen floor. I understand that she wasn't a big fan of the move our house is just a little bit smaller but other than that nothing much has changed. I use urine cleaning spray but otherwise I don't know how to get her to stop please help

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is her litter box? Since she is young and has been through a move she may be afraid of the spot where the box has been placed. I would for the time being confine her to a single, quiet room until she uses the box consistently. Then start gradually moving that box to wherever you want to place it. Two boxes for one cat is preferable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krisskriss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is spayed her litter box is in my daughter's room the quietest part of the house. She does use her litter box but she also uses everything else as well

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is her litter box? Since she is young and has been through a move she may be afraid of the spot where the box has been placed. I would for the time being confine her to a single, quiet room until she uses the box consistently. Then start gradually moving that box to wherever you want to place it. Two boxes for one cat is preferable.
Lots of people put the cat box in the utility room. Lots of noisy appliances there to frighten a cat. A relatively quiet spot like a bathroom or closet is better.

She may be going in odd places because she feels insecure and is marking her territory. It's only been a couple weeks since the move.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your new home was previously lived in, there may have been pets that lived there and their scents could be throwing her off. There could also be animals outside (strays, wildlife, neighbors' pets) that she can see, hear, and/or sense. Unusual noises outside can also bother a cat.

If there is a health issue brewing that is causing her some intermittent discomfort when she uses the litter box, the next time she might avoid it - and, because it is only intermittent, she will go ahead and use the litter box on occasion.

Litterbox Problems? Here’s Why You Should Call Your Vet – TheCatSite Articles- just in case there might be some other tips in this article.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It is so tough, and worrying, when this happens. It can take time to figure out what's bothering her so along with additional litter trays you might want to think about protecting furniture and other places she seems to be attracted to. Clean thoroughly with the urine off stuff as you are but once clean, if furniture try covering with blankets or throws with waterproof backing or vet bed / puppy pads to prevent the urine soaking in. Easier to clean and hopefully avoid all your possessions being wrecked.
Have you tried any of the calming sprays or diffusers like Feliway? You can spot spray areas she seems to target and generally add the diffusers around the home. The diffusers have a longer term, more subtle action but the sprays are good for immediate use, including making spaces feel safe like carriers/crates.

Hope you manage to settle her in.