why our female cats start to fight?

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we have totally 6 cats, 2 boys and 4 girls. Normally they all get on fine, although occasionally someone want to be the boss....

Our two elder girls, Lucy and Dotty grow up together. Personality wise, Dotty is always very confident, get on with everyone, but if you bully her she can be really feisty. On the other side of spectrum, Lucy always want to show everyone she is the boss, but if you fight back, even slightly, she is totally useless and escape immediately.

The two girls used to be very close, back in the days they had kittens, they actually nursed their kittens together, full of kisses and cuddles. However a few weeks ago, I noticed Dotty start to attack Lucy, she even hide then prey on Lucy and chase her everywhere. Everytime I yell at her when she pounced on Lucy, she run away, but the following day she will do it again, once or twice....

What is wrong with Dotty? why she doing this ? is there anything I can do to alleviate it?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All are fixed? It could be redirected aggression or given that both are seniors it could be health related. Some cats get aggressive if they arent feeling well, or they can become aggressive towards a sick cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of them are only 4, just retired and in great health condition. One thing I am confused is, should I punish Dotty when she was attacking Lucy? If not, how will she learn that she was doing something wrong? However I was told punishing cat is not good idea.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, punishing is never a good idea with a cat. All they really learn is to dislike/fear you. The best thing to do is to make sure that Lucy has plenty of safe places to retreat to. You can also help Lucy become more confident. One of the best ways to do this is by playing with her using a good wand toy. My cat like Da Bird. Make sure she gets to catch her "prey," and praise her when she does. Successful "hunting" is a great ego builder for cats!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are they getting along at all other times than when Dotty decides it is time to ambush Lucy?

Redirecting Dotty's attention to play when she is about to pounce on Lucy is a good idea. But, if you don't catch her in time, the next best thing to do is pick Dotty up, tell her "no" in a firm voice, and then put her back down. If she goes to pounce again, repeat, but then this time place her in another room for a 1-2 minute time out. Repeat each and every time Dotty goes for Lucy - consistency is the key to this approach.

But, since they are retired now, I assume that means you have had them spayed. Was their spaying around the time this attacking occurred? Any other unusual events that occurred right before the attacks started? Something triggered the behavior change, and it would be helpful if you could figure out what. Changes in your household, new animals/cats roaming outside, etc, etc.

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most times they seems tolerate each other, but now Lucy is bit fearful around Dotty. I do not think there is much changes around the house. If I sense Dotty gonna attack, I just raise my voice and she will run away. If I miss the start of the attack, I normally chase behind them and grab Dotty and lock her up for a few hours to punish her. Dotty is a very thick skinned cat, even you just punished her, the next minute she will rub her body against you try to be a sweet heart. However the following day she may attack again

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really? thanks for the suggestion, I never thought about it, will couple of minutes be enough? I must find somewhere she really does not like to lock her, otherwise she may think I was playing a game with her

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Cats live in the now. In actuality your intent is to break her focus on the other kitty, and that's all. Simply picking her up, as long as that's safe to do, and moving her elsewhere is enough.
Timeouts aren't applicable to cats because as soon as that focus on the other cat is broken by you distracting her, your job is done til the next event. Consistency is extremely important though :)