Why is the clumping kitty litter being used up so quickly? A bag a week for one cat?

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
18kg bags of charcoal activated, bentonite clumping clay divided into 2 litter boxes - and we're zipping through that in roughly a week, max 2. How? And to compound things, if it's not 100% clean (which I am doing - cleaning, scooping - daily) she will deposit you know what on the bathroom floor.

I can't.

Someone please tell me if there are any hacks to make the litter last longer.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
May I ask, are her pee clumps huge and when you remove those, that's where the litter is going? Have you had her in for a wellness check recently?

I typically will mix the clumping clay litter with another less expensive type of litter. My cat was very accommodating about his litter, but maybe you could try that :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use Arm & Hammer Double Duty clumping litter, and a 6.4 KG bag lasts at least 2 weeks, spread out in 2 litter boxes. I also only have one cat. So going through 18 KG in a week, or even 2, is really fast.

How often does your girl pee a day? And, as Furballsmom Furballsmom wondered, how big are the pee clumps?

Also, are you just removing the pee and poop clumps, or emptying and replacing all the litter every week? And, probably an unnecessary question, but you are using a litter scoop with open grooves to let loose litter fall through to remove the waste clumps, right.

Lastly, is the litter all being thrown out, or are you just using a lot trying to keep the level of litter deep?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
18kg bags of charcoal activated, bentonite clumping clay divided into 2 litter boxes - and we're zipping through that in roughly a week, max 2. How? And to compound things, if it's not 100% clean (which I am doing - cleaning, scooping - daily) she will deposit you know what on the bathroom floor.

I can't.

Someone please tell me if there are any hacks to make the litter last longer.
It all depends on how the litter is being scooped out. If it is being scooped out with the scoop as a big chunk, I guess it'll definitely take out lots of litter both soiled and clean.

My boy used to use bentonite clay litter and when I clean out his pee clump, I'll try to move as much loose clean litter around the pee clump before scooping it out. Meaning, I'll clear the top of the pee clump till I see the top of it and clear all round the sides of the pee clump before scooping it out and after scooping it out, I'll use a spoon and pick out all the soiled pee that is left behind after scooping and then will use a disposable wet towel to clean the spot where the litter was cleared.
I used to use a scoop that takes out the whole clump and out goes a lot of clean litter with it and therefore I change the way to clear the litter box and it was time consuming as I literally pick out the smaller soiled pieces as if I'm doing a archaeological work carefully without damaging the artifact. This way, it'll save some clean litter and makes the litter last longer. And open top of being dusty, it is heavy too.

After 7 years of using bentonite clay litter, for my boy's health and mine, I switch my boy over to Tofu Cat Litter. Bentonite clay litter is too dusty and a mess when coming to cleaning up especially when the pee touches the sides and bottom if the litter box and that makes a tedious chore when comes to cleaning the litter box and that's why the switch.

To find out more on Tofu Cat Litter, check out my thread that I made regarding thew switch and hope that it make sense to you. Here is the link to that thread :- A Documentation on the Transition from Clay Litter to Tofu Cat Litter for my boy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It all depends on how the litter is being scooped out. If it is being scooped out with the scoop as a big chunk, I guess it'll definitely take out lots of litter both soiled and clean.

My boy used to use bentonite clay litter and when I clean out his pee clump, I'll try to move as much loose clean litter around the pee clump before scooping it out. Meaning, I'll clear the top of the pee clump till I see the top of it and clear all round the sides of the pee clump before scooping it out and after scooping it out, I'll use a spoon and pick out all the soiled pee that is left behind after scooping and then will use a disposable wet towel to clean the spot where the litter was cleared.
I used to use a scoop that takes out the whole clump and out goes a lot of clean litter with it and therefore I change the way to clear the litter box and it was time consuming as I literally pick out the smaller soiled pieces as if I'm doing a archaeological work carefully without damaging the artifact. This way, it'll save some clean litter and makes the litter last longer. And open top of being dusty, it is heavy too.

After 7 years of using bentonite clay litter, for my boy's health and mine, I switch my boy over to Tofu Cat Litter. Bentonite clay litter is too dusty and a mess when coming to cleaning up especially when the pee touches the sides and bottom if the litter box and that makes a tedious chore when comes to cleaning the litter box and that's why the switch.

To find out more on Tofu Cat Litter, check out my thread that I made regarding thew switch and hope that it make sense to you. Here is the link to that thread :- A Documentation on the Transition from Clay Litter to Tofu Cat Litter for my boy

Definitely I take out the whole chunk and it's massive because we're dealing with Mati's drinking more. So there's a lot of extra discard. Idk if we're able to get the Tofu litter in Israel where we're situated - also in the boonies. The best we can hope for is this type. Been through other brands of the same. Not much variety. Thank you so much for your reply, it's very helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
May I ask, are her pee clumps huge and when you remove those, that's where the litter is going? Have you had her in for a wellness check recently?

I typically will mix the clumping clay litter with another less expensive type of litter. My cat was very accommodating about his litter, but maybe you could try that :)
Yes, huge, huge. I have a plastic bag for the pieces. That goes to the trash. She was in the vet in September. Since then no. Money issues and all sorts. She's been drinking a bit more due to the dry food I leave out and she midnight snacks on that. So...more drink, more pee. But then there's age and she's kind of just going to the bathroom on my bathroom floor - which she knows is the bane of my existence and gives me a baleful look. She knows....

This litter costs roughly 20 dollars. Wondering what would be the other type to use? Bentonite as well? I was thinking maybe because the particles are larger than usual that they're taking up more surface area and in that more is going out to the trash. Thank you so much for your reply.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wondering what would be the other type to use?
There's this link below, it might have some inexpensive possibilities you might try :)

Here is some more specific advice from another member;
Another option would be to go to a feed store and get corn chicken feed in crumbles (NOT pellets!) Here in the USA, some people use Purina Layena crumbles. It's not ideal for all but some cats really like using this super soft litter, and it clumps reasonably well. Don't be surprised or concerned if the cats eat some of it, it's corn chicken feed and most cats given the opportunity will give it a taste.
Cheaper Kitty Litter Alternatives - The Dollar Stretcher

she's kind of just going to the bathroom on my bathroom floor
Can you put a small-ish litterbox in there? Putting a towel down, which is washable, might not be safe if it causes a slip and fall.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, huge, huge. I have a plastic bag for the pieces. That goes to the trash. She was in the vet in September. Since then no. Money issues and all sorts. She's been drinking a bit more due to the dry food I leave out and she midnight snacks on that. So...more drink, more pee. But then there's age and she's kind of just going to the bathroom on my bathroom floor - which she knows is the bane of my existence and gives me a baleful look. She knows....

This litter costs roughly 20 dollars. Wondering what would be the other type to use? Bentonite as well? I was thinking maybe because the particles are larger than usual that they're taking up more surface area and in that more is going out to the trash. Thank you so much for your reply.
Is she losing weight in addition to peeing a lot and drinking more water?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Definitely I take out the whole chunk and it's massive because we're dealing with Mati's drinking more. So there's a lot of extra discard. Idk if we're able to get the Tofu litter in Israel where we're situated - also in the boonies. The best we can hope for is this type. Been through other brands of the same. Not much variety. Thank you so much for your reply, it's very helpful.
Yes, I use to discard lots of clay litter in the early years and I change the way of scooping and thus end up spending lots of time removing the bits and pieces and not to mention cleaning the side walls of the litterbox. It's time consuming.

I hope you can get Tofu Cat Litter in your region or buy online from elsewhere and have them shipped in. Litterbox cleaning is really a breeze now for me and it's much healthier for my boy and me.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she's drinking a lot of water, its likely time to see a vet if this is possible. There are a few health conditions which could cause that and all can be serious.

I know some regions at least that transport can be difficult, so please let us know what's possible for you 🙂