Why is my male neutered 10 year old cat doing this to his stomach?

jaxtabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are no fleas or mites yet he acts like something is biting him sometimes.
IMG_.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, can you find some Cat Music for him, even with purring, which can help relax him. Unless it's a food sensitivity or allergy that could be causing skin discomfort, the calming music can help quite a lot.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaxtabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am feeding him wilderness for older cat as he has gained a little weight. Guess the first thing I should try is a change in diet.

My cats listen to FOX News🙀

Thanks all.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My previous cat would do this.
She got so naked that I could see the bare skin on both hind legs, and her abdomen side to side up to her sternum.
Many tests, vet visits, etc later, we found out it was stress related. So I believe your cat could need some environmental enrichment or something that can fill his days.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat music is definatly not a one size fits all thing.

Kabuto does not like it but loves the violin (like me).

He does have a bare spot in that same area but I think in his case it is a seperation anxiety thing. He only does it when I am not around. He used to have bare patches on his rump too but they grew back.

I leave the tv on when I leave and that seems to help. Or put Lindsey Stirling in the google nest.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cat music is definatly not a one size fits all thing.
There are many varieties, from harp music --either classical or specifically for cats, to videos filled with just purring or music with purring added, and a lot of other types such as videos with nature sounds selected with cats in mind :)

Last edited:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just curious, how is he doing this? Is it like constant licking, or biting, or both?

I'm not asking because I have special knowledge, just wondering how it happens. And wondering how much time he spends doing it?

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little female has hyperesthesia and creates huge sores she licks so much. i have tried every med, every food elimination, and nothing helps. It is caused by stress, which none of my other cats have. The best I have found is CBD oil bought at my local pharmacy behind the counter for pets. a little pricey but lasts a long time. i didn't think it helped, but when I ran out she licked twice as much! Make sure you don't get HEMP oil, it MUST be CBD. Hemp did absolutely nothing for her!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Link did this in response to arthritis pain in his leg. I would personally start with a vet visit to rule out any physical issues. Any sort of aliment that is causing pain in or around the lower stomach could lead to overgrooming as a pain response. Once those are ruled out, I would then switch to stress and anxiety related treatments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaxtabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just curious, how is he doing this? Is it like constant licking, or biting, or both?

I'm not asking because I have special knowledge, just wondering how it happens. And wondering how much time he spends doing it?
‘Licking but maybe nibbling. Hard to tell. As far as stress, this car is number one in the house and shows no signs of being stressed

IMG_6012.jpeg