Why Is My Cat Suddenly Wet?

Sansa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just brought my 6 month old kitten home from the vet to find him and the floor of his carrier completely wet, but it does not smell like urine. Is it possible for a cat to become sweaty from nerves?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There pee isn't stinky until they get older. He probably peed in the box either because he had to go or was scared. I had one who would all the time and even as an adult that fear peeing didn't smell. I got in the habit of bringing a bag with extra towels and wipes just for that reason.

You could try feeding him in the carrier so the carrier itself isn't a scary thing. If you start closing the door while he is eating (an inch each day until it is fully closed) and opening it when he is done eating that can also help the carrier not be scary.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But to answer the direct question, cats do sweat, but only through their paws, and in small amounts. They cool themselves through grooming (the evaporating saliva does the trick), and in extreme heat, panting. If a cat is panting from heat, things are getting critical. THAT was not an issue for you. Non-stinky kitten piddle was. Kieka Kieka gave you the best advice about that!