Why Is My Cat Always Staring At One Place On My Bedroom Ceiling?

Shining Star

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For about 3 weeks now Ming-Ming has stared at on spot on my ceiling and when I try to get his attention he ignores me. Whats going on? HELP!!!!!:help::please::help::please:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be something he sees, like a cobweb, that you aren’t seeing. Or I could be a bug he once saw there and that he thinks might come back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shining Star

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe but I saw a cobweb on my ceiling and our house doesn't have bugs and he stares past the cobweb. Could my room be haunted?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe but I saw a cobweb on my ceiling and our house doesn't have bugs and he stares past the cobweb. Could my room be haunted?
When I adopted Willow she spent hours staring at a spot on the ceiling. I thought my former cat might be haunting the place. A couple years later, with her still staring at the ceiling on a regular basis I finally saw a two inch cob web hanging off the ceiling right at the spot where she stared. Wiped it away and she was done with the staring.

Shining Star

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wiped the cobweb away but he continues to stare.

I'm so freaked out! :fear::fear::fear:

Last edited by a moderator:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's something that's attracting his attention, like an insect or bug that's burrowed there.

My boy does the same when he sees an insect or bug or lizard and he always stare at the same spot as he knows that the insect or bug or lizard moves around and in and out that spot.

Cats have very sharp eyes and they can sense very tiny movements made by the tiny bug that is not visible with our eyes.

Don't worry, your cat is normal.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ghosts!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :p:p ;)

Or maybe there's a mouse living in the house and he hears it scurrying when you can't.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat does not understand the concept of a cobweb or that it might not return at least for a long time . It is just something interesting to them and so they may wait thinking it will be back. Cats have enormous patience if they think there is potential prey nearby. When stalking, they may go without eating or sleeping to wait for the opportunity to catch it.

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can 'see' things that escape our poor comparable vision. Your cat is used to seeing something there so is waiting fro it to come back. I would try to distract him, show him a cobweb in another spot, he would have many to choose from in my house, in fact could be entertained for a long time! ;)

Shining Star

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats can 'see' things that escape our poor comparable vision. Your cat is used to seeing something there so is waiting fro it to come back. I would try to distract him, show him a cobweb in another spot, he would have many to choose from in my house, in fact could be entertained for a long time! ;)
I got rid of the cobwebs because there was only 1 and yet he still stares like something else is there.