Why don't companies make more 5.5oz cans??

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like the 3oz cans are so useless. They aren't enough for a whole day, but are also too much for one meal, and they are soooo expensive.
Life would be so much easier for me if everything came in the larger size. Lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, but if people (like me) never buy them, you think they would make more larger sizes.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess they have plenty of other people buying them. Look how popular Fancy Feast became, in those little cans, when it first came out and was very expensive.

Some people equate small cans with quality. I'm not saying this is so, but they have been marketed as such for so long that people do think it.

Some people have only one cat and find the small cans convenient.

It is obviously a profitable venture for the pet food companies, or they wouldn't keep doing it. Pouches are only 3 ounces too.

Write to the company of the brand you wish sold larger cans, and let them know you would purchase their product if it came in a 5.5 oz size. If they get enough comments, they may decided to try it.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes they do come in bigger sizes, but the store just doesn't carry them.  Tiki, for example, comes in 6 oz cans.  Pet store thought I was crazy when I asked them to get me a case of them.  Check out petfooddirect.com......even if you don't order from them, you can see what sizes are available.

I have been told that some companies package the same product in the dog food aisle in the big cans....like Nature's Variety I think.  Some sell the same product in dog size cans with everything but the taurine...which can be added.....and the big cans are cheaper.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have noticed that they are heavily marketing Sheba canned now.  I got a free can with a coupon and the ladies all got a taste (3oz for 5 feline pigs).  They loved it, but the cost is too high. I can buy premium no-grain for less per day.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 3oz. cans are not very economical I agree, but they are very convenient for me with 2 cats. They split a can at each meal and I don't have to refridgerate anything or heat anything up when I use them.

I can understand your frustration though. There are so many brands that don't come in larger sizes.

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain but on the 5.5 oz cans do not make it affordable for me unless a great sale and wish more firskies came in 12osz or larger cans.

Friskies actually used to make these jumbo cans that were like 22 oz or so.  Whiskas might have to...They went away many years ago.  Yes I have alot of cats:p

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 3oz cans are good for someone like me with only one small cat who doesn't eat very much in one sitting and gets quickly bored of a food. When I do feed canned it's in rotation with raw, so it's very difficult to get through a 5.5oz or 6oz in 3-4 days. I usually end up throwing it out or putting it outside for the neighborhood cats if she's tired of it. She does usually manage to get through a 3oz can though. Even though it's less economical per oz, it's not as wasteful for me.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel your pain but on the 5.5 oz cans do not make it affordable for me unless a great sale and wish more firskies came in 12osz or larger cans.

Friskies actually used to make these jumbo cans that were like 22 oz or so.  Whiskas might have to...They went away many years ago.  Yes I have alot of cats:p
I feed a cat colony of at least four cats (use to be 10), and I wish more high quality canned cat food came in 12+ oz size.

Interestingly, the cats have started to turn up their nose at Frishes gravy style preferring the pate or Fancy Feast Classic.  And they don't like the 'breakfast' type of wet food.

I guess they're smarter than the manufacturers.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only do pate cause of diabetes issue in one of my cats.  Funny yours are going low carb on their own though!. Smart kitties!!!  Outside cats get wet if I see them otherwise dry is filled up as I can not fee wildlife wet too:p  LOL. 

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The 3oz cans are good for someone like me with only one small cat who doesn't eat very much in one sitting and gets quickly bored of a food. When I do feed canned it's in rotation with raw, so it's very difficult to get through a 5.5oz or 6oz in 3-4 days. I usually end up throwing it out or putting it outside for the neighborhood cats if she's tired of it. She does usually manage to get through a 3oz can though. Even though it's less economical per oz, it's not as wasteful for me.
When I was feeding cans....all three were kittens, so they ate a 3oz can each at every meal.  I started ordering cases of both 3oz and 5.5 or 6oz cans, and used one of each at every meal.  I'm now spending about half what the premium grain free cans were costing me to feed 3 cats AND 3 small dogs with an all raw diet.  I've seen definite improvement in both dogs and carts since switching to raw. 

lilgreenastrid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed an all-canned diet, and my cat's very picky, and a lot of what she eats only comes in 3oz cans. I hate it! The 5.5oz can is perfect for one day. I just found out that Blue Buffalo is about to release Healthy Gourmet Flaked Salmon Entree in 5.5oz cans, along with some other flavors that were previously only available in 30z cans. They're coming out in May. :) I'm lucky that the one I use the most of comes in 13.5oz cans, though - 4Health Chicken & Brown Rice Dinner. It's way cheaper than Friskies when I buy it in the big cans.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed an all-canned diet also, I first bought the 12 ounce cans and then realised how quickly Lox would get bored of the food. Now I use the 5.5 ounce cans but she still doesn't eat all of it in a day. I think I may start buying the 3 ounce cans for the foods that are high in calorie, but keep buying the 5.5 ounce cans for ones that are in the 150-range.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i usually find 13oz cans its useful and i feel like i spend alot less.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 ounce cans are perfect for cats like mine, who won't eat leftovers.  I split a cat between them 3 times a day.  It's expensive, but not as expensive as buying a big can and having to throw most of it away because they won't eat it after it's been in the fridge.

sammythecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 ounce cans are perfect for cats like mine, who won't eat leftovers.  I split a cat between them 3 times a day.  It's expensive, but not as expensive as buying a big can and having to throw most of it away because they won't eat it after it's been in the fridge.
I find that my cat doesn't notice if i put it in the microwave for a few seconds. Then again, it might just be that he see's everything that comes out of the microwave I usually eat, so he assumes its ok.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess they have plenty of other people buying them. Look how popular Fancy Feast became, in those little cans, when it first came out and was very expensive.

Some people equate small cans with quality. I'm not saying this is so, but they have been marketed as such for so long that people do think it.

Some people have only one cat and find the small cans convenient.

It is obviously a profitable venture for the pet food companies, or they wouldn't keep doing it. Pouches are only 3 ounces too.

Write to the company of the brand you wish sold larger cans, and let them know you would purchase their product if it came in a 5.5 oz size. If they get enough comments, they may decided to try it.
Most consumers find the larger cans inconvenient. It has far more to do with consumer satisfaction than "profit". Most consumers have only 1 or 2 cats in the household and the larger cans equate waste to them and they really don't want to fool around with can lids, foil etc.

Then there are the people that have colonies of ferals. They will buy the largest can possible but there tends to be no waste and generally no fooling around with can lids, foil etc. and refrigeration.

I don't know what the profit margins are on the small vs large cans. One would think the profit margin would be greater on the larger cans due to less manufacturing costs.

As a whole, I'd say consumer demand for a busy lifestyle is what dictates the smaller can sizes.

I have 4 cats and I would never dream of buying large cans. Sometimes my cats will decide to completely reject a flavor or texture. I'd be wasting more money throwing out large cans of cat food vs. the occasional small can. I'm talking about premium foods here and we all know how much more expensive they can be.