Why Does My Cat Only Purr At Certain Times?

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All,

I am really curious as to why my cat will only purr in in select locations, and at select times. She is a 1 year old Siberian, and very sweet. When I come home from work, I will always pick her up and throw her over my shoulder and she puurs like CRAAAAZY. Then I will usually bring her over to the couch and lay down, and she smooshes herself beside my chest purring for about 5 minutes then goes and does her own thing.

Also, she is incredibly affectionate in the morning. As soon as my alarm goes off (and never before it goes off), she perks up and does a little squeak and runs over to me in bed. She will keep rubbing herself against my chest and purring very loud. I will usually pet her for about 10 minutes, but sometimes when I work from home, more than 30. Basically, she will not leave as long as I am still in bed and petting her and will usually fall asleep while I rub her stomach. If I stop petting her and resume while shes asleep, she will squeak and start purring again.
(Now, I know most of you will say it is because she is hungry, but this is not the case. My girlfriend feeds her before she leaves, and even if my cat is in the middle of eating, as soon as she hears my alarm she drops whats in her mouth and runs into the bedroom).

Lastly, at nighttime when I am in bed, she will sometimes hop onto the bed and start purring and have me pet her for about a minute or so.

Now, the funny thing about her are those 3 times above are the ONLY times she will purr. Otherwise, during the day, if I pet her, she is always silent. Also, I usually have to seek her out to pet her rather than her coming to me like at the other 3 times. Also, if it is not those 3 times, the only way she will purr is if I go to the bedroom and lay on my bed lol. Why do you think this is?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As my beloved late father used to say, "Who knows from cats?" They all have their quirks. However, I will tell you something that I realized about my own cat who seemed to be like yours, she was actually purring a lot more than I recognized, but her purr was so very, very soft that I couldn't hear it, and really could barely feel it. But it was there. I spent the better part of 6 years thinking that she was unhappy most of the time! Nope. Just a very, very soft purrer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As my beloved late father used to say, "Who knows from cats?" They all have their quirks. However, I will tell you something that I realized about my own cat who seemed to be like yours, she was actually purring a lot more than I recognized, but her purr was so very, very soft that I couldn't hear it, and really could barely feel it. But it was there. I spent the better part of 6 years thinking that she was unhappy most of the time! Nope. Just a very, very soft purrer.
Come to think of it, I have noticed sometimes the hair on her body kind of vibrate but its not audible at all nor can I feel it. Maybe I will pay more attention and see if that's the case. In the morning, though, and at night, it is so loud its incredible lol. Sounds like a little engine.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When we go to bed at night, I swear Hekitty's purr vibrates the windows! When she really gets going, she's LOUD, but mostly it is this quiet little thing that I almost just sense. Sounds like your girl is very like her.