why does my cat get in the fridge?

mycherona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Kitty, gets in the fridge almost every time I open it. He gets on the bottom shelf and turns himself around so he is looking out. He seems to like it in there, and won't get out when it's time for me to close the door. He has even jumped from the counter into the freezer! He will hunker down in there and look out, but won't leave, even when he is shaking his paws cause they are cold! Don't worry, I always know when he gets in the fridge because he nearly trips me on his way in...and the freezer is right at eye level, so there's no way he could get in there without me noticing it. My question is: why does he do this??? there's nothing in there that he would want, I'm sure, because I'm a vegetarian. And he never seems interested in the food anyway, he just makes himself comfortable on the bottom shelf and looks out. He's very odd!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats like small spaces... boxes, cabinets, and yours.... the fridge!
My Lucky runs to the kitchen when I am in there, and meows for me to open the cabinet for her to go inside... I have an empty cabinet just for her

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine all try to get in the fridge, they like to explore everything. I just make sure no ones inside when I shut the door.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby Bonnie likes to get into the fridge on the bottom shelf, but I know exactly why she does it...it's because that is where the yogurt is and she's a Yoplait addict!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hannah does it because that's where the cheese is and she's the cheesemeister!!
I don't have a problem letting her explore, but I'm always afraid her little head is going to get whacked by the door one of these days.

You could always make sure to put containers on the bottom shelf at the front of the shelf to deter him getting ON the shelf.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moose will launch himself out of nowhere from the floor into the freezer and I pull him out right away. I think it's just a new place to explore.

lunalover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luna started doing the same thing when she realised that that's where I keep her fresh fish!

robin the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ermagerd, my cat love the fridge. When she hops up on the counter she meows for me to open the cupboard so she can take a nap. And the fridge too. I usually have to take her out.