Why does my cat freak out after I've had a door to my sunroom open?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a front sunroom area that is completely enclosed, but not insulated or anything fancy like that. It gets cold in the winter, so I close the door leading to that room. My cats love going out there during the summer and lounging since three of the four walls are nothing but windows, and I have a couch and other napping areas out there for them. Every once in a while, I go out there over winter to either check out the happenings on the street (I live across the street from Wrigley Field, so there's lots of interesting foot traffic) or to get something I keep stored out there. When I open the door, my cats immediately go out there, as every closed door in the house is a personal insult to them. The door is open for less than one minute, then I corral them back inside and shut it. However, the cats will then start tearing  through my apartment as fast as possible and just overall freaking out for about half an hour after I close the door. I have a really long hallway with hardwood floors running through my entire apartment, and the amount of acceleration they achieve followed by claws trying in vain to stop their momentum on the wood gets annoying. Random pathetic meows are common, and I mean PATHETIC. The worse offender out of the two is half Siamese, and those of you with Siamese know the sound I'm talking about.

I understand the fixation my cats have with the door leading to the room. I even have to put a comforter in front of the door, or my younger cat will paw at the weather strip, which is coming loose, and basically pulling it back and letting it slap against the door again and again for as long as he can.

So, is there any advice for how I can stymie this behavior, or even just an explanation of exactly why they freak out? I get frustrated when I don't understand the cause-and-effect relationship between things, and I think even knowing their specific response mechanism would help this situation immensely. I mean, it's not like I'm letting them run around outside in the backyard (which they do, frequently), or even letting them get used to having the door open. It's an in and out, easy peasy 30 seconds, and they turn around and freak out for 60 times as long as they were out in the sunroom for.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I could be very wrong here and interested to know what others think, but it sounds like your cats are happy excited that they have been in that space and it is still theirs.  A kind of 'We got to check it out, it's still there and it's safe' victory run.   Mouse can be like that after he's managed to get in to a cupboard that's usually out of bounds.

I'm afraid pretty much all cats I've known do that 'herd of mini elephants stampeding' thing.  Usually a couple of times a day and then again at night.  I always end up laughing because of all the scrapes they end up in not stopping in time to miss walls and stuff (and worrying about them getting hurt), but that's me. 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cat stampede thing is normal.  Anything can trigger it like your short visit to their favorite room. With my crew it's a sudden gust of wind through any of the windows in the house. This means the sound of drums is pretty regular at my place. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking my cats are just seers, cos it was a balmy 55 yesterday (80 in the sunroom) and they spent the whole day lounging out there. Just one day after their biggest freakout.

Last edited: