Why Does He Do This?

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My male cat Toby is very shy, but he has started this new trend of sleeping and relaxing like this....My female cat Stella only shows her belly when she wants a tummy rub, but Toby will plop down and fall asleep this way...sometimes all four paws in the air..or sometimes he will look at me and make a mrrrrrrr sound and plop over and show his belly.

I have read that cats view their belly as a protected area, and as I said he's so shy.

Does anyone have any guesses as to why he does this?? It's a daily thing, and I mean this is his preferred sleeping and relaxing position 24/7 almost:crackup:

1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello 2rescuekitties 2rescuekitties , when a cat sleeps on it’s back exposing the belly means he is very confidence of his surroundings. He feels safe and thus he display such a relaxing way to sleep.
Aww that makes me happy to hear that my home makes him feel comfortable :cloud9:
I love him to bits

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:loveeyes: Oh how sweet! Gypsy sleeps like this alot. Sometimes she wants a tummy rub sometimes she just likes sleeping all sprawled out on her back. Can you rub tum? You have some excellent photos for the Show Me Your Belly !!! thread. :camera:
Yes he lets me walk right up to him and give him a tummy rub too hehe he's just so funny because I have never seen a cat laid out like this all the time

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats can feel cooler by sprawling out in this way, too.:)

Is it hot now where you are living? :sunshine:
I live in the desert pretty much but my apartment gets so afternoon sun, we are downstairs, and I keep the temp at 76 or 77 :) but that could be possible...sometimes he even does this after play time so maybe he's just pooped out