why does he bring his face so close to ours?

belochka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why does he bring his cute face so close to ours?

What does this mean in cat-speak?

I thought he was sniffing but he isn't really that sniffing (at least not audibly), he just gets very close to our faces, I feel his nose on mine.

It's very cute and I like it whatever it means. But was wondering if any cat experts know exactly what it means.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
They are saying hello :)

When two cats that are friends greet each other they gently touch noses.

Your kitty loves you and is saying "Hi"

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, in most animals (humans included) facial touching is a form of intimacy.

When a cat nuzzles his face against yours, that means that you are in his "inner circle" of friends.

For example: 

Last edited by a moderator:

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It depends on what they are doing when bringing their head close.

In wolves & cats familiar animals greet each other by smelling one anothers teeth.  This is unlike dogs who would find bearing teeth in that manner aggressive & a call to fight.

If they are putting their head down and attempting to nuzzle you with the patch above their eye, this is a sign of affection - a cats way of saying 'I like you'

bodisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat get's very close to my face, but usually only in the morning when he wants me to wake up to feed him.   I've never really taken it to mean anything except "Hey come on man... wake up and feed me!"

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fuzzy does this a lot, especially when I'm kneeling down to clean the litterbox! I can usually get him to nose-kiss me by leaning in close to him, too.

Pierre is only starting to do it, but I'm working on him!

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tesla does this to me all the time. He puts his nose up to mine, and then the headbutts me and rubs his forehead against mine. I always thought it was a sign of affection. :)

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whenever I bring in my face to theirs they always back away like saying...."hey, you're too close!!"....lol. I guess my cats don't love me 

jsarvari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty will does that to me all the time, but not to my husband.  It makes him feel left out of the love (haha), but I think it's just her saying, "hello" :)

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love it when Sinbad and Tempest do this to me.  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There were times Gracie would "kiss" me or touch her nose to my face and sniff.  Such sweet memories which make me miss her all the more!  But then there were times I'd hug her and she'd draw back and make a little sound that I interpreted to mean "too close" or "I didn't initiate this and therefore I don't like it!"  :)

Sometimes Harry rubs his cheek on my cheek!  It's so cute when he does this.  

bootsandamy2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interesting question. Only my 8 year old male kitty, Boots puts his face up next to mine, never to my husband's face. Boots won'g sit on anyone's lap but when I'm on the couch he will sit on the arm or the couch and lean into me until his head rests on my chest. He stays that way until someone else comes into the room.

My kitty Amy puts her face up to her brother Boots but not to her humans.