Why does Bob yowl?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know why he yowls - he's either looking for Bree or he's done something to scare himself - but why is his meow so different, do you think?

He is a Manx, and he makes some of the strangest noises. When I looked at Bengal cats, they made odd sounds, too. Is it a breed thing? I thought Manx cats were supposed to be fairly quiet. He walks around in the morning howling until she wakes up. I think she knows he's calling her.

I know I post a lot about Bob. I love all my cats. Each one has special qualities that I treasure. I am just fascinated by him. He is an unusual little fellow. You should try eating with him in the room. :rolleyes2:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just have a lot to SAY. (I also know there are a lot of posts on this site about seeing a vet if your cat yowls, but cats can also just be…conversationalists). Think you’re right, it can also depend on the breed. I’ve also have cats who have just been through a lot of hardships from life on the street, and need to get it out of their systems. Personally I like a cat with a lot to say, so, I’d enjoy it, even talk back. :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:yeah:
I agree with what Margot Lane Margot Lane mentioned. My boy is very talkative and sometimes he talks very loud like yowling especially when he walks around the house and start talking loudly and it's like 'Hey! Come and see this or why am I alone here?' So I have to go entertain him and have a conversation with him.

It is likely they want attention too.

Last edited:

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
'Hey! Come and see this or why am I alone here?'
This is exactly what my youngest does as soon as I get home from work and greet him. He'll immediately head to the restroom, jump on the sink and just yell at me to get over there. Meanwhile I'm still trying to unpack myself, and he's very impatient lol. Sometimes he wants me to turn the water one so he can turn it back off, he's a little weirdo.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This is exactly what my youngest does as soon as I get home from work and greet him. He'll immediately head to the restroom, jump on the sink and just yell at me to get over there. Meanwhile I'm still trying to unpack myself, and he's very impatient lol. Sometimes he wants me to turn the water one so he can turn it back off, he's a little weirdo.
Yea, sometimes they are quite demanding and wants you to be there immediately or sometimes they are saying ' Hey! I saw or heard something weird and quick, come help look for it!'

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your responses. He is obsessed with Bree. She is allowed in a room that has not been Bob proofed, so he can see her through the French door and is calling her now. By Bob proofed, I mean the vents haven't been duct taped to the floor. Bree and Bob have been spayed/ neutered so it isn't a romantic relationship. She was the first cat to welcome him into our home, after they all got mad at us for bringing him in on them. I believe he thinks she is his mother. DH went and got Bree for him, so now he has calmed down. He is very dramatic. :lol:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats howl to look for human or animal family members too. I think chatty-ness ranges from cat to cat regardless of breed. It can be nature or nurture.

Vet is only really needed if it's a sudden change. Like an increase in vocalization or decrease. Cats can have subtle behavioural changes as signs of illness which is why people recommend that cats see a vet about behavioural changes including vocalizations.