Why Do They Knead?

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my male cat has been ritually kneading the past few months. It used to be just on very very soft blankets and then when he was done kneading he would lay down and fall asleep. But the last few months he's been doing it to me. It seems that it's almost every morning now. He will put his two front paws on my stomach or legs and start kneading and purring really loudly. I doubt I am softer than a blanket... Why does he do this? Is he trying to wake me up? Is he anxious about something?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dismiss this mystery as "they are cats, they do that." However, I have always wondered about the best way to stop it when they are kneeding on you and you are wearing clothing you don't want holes in, or its uncomfortable or whatever. My current method is to hold the paw firmly but gently in my hand while explaining "daddy won't take your paws but you have to be good" or similar motivational message. It does seem to work. Well, sometimes.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demi does this. I think it's just a comfort thing. I also had a childhood cat Mally who did this, but my brother hated it. So he would just say No! and put Mally off his lap onto the floor. It worked, he stopped doing it. I don't mind it, so I let Demi do it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine does this to us, and drool/spits with delight.
I think she does it because she "kneads" us. :crazy: (groan).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HEHE its not that I mind...It's just curious to me as why he does it now that he's all grown up and why its always on my tummy and always in the morning

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my favorite things in the world is having a cat knead on me. :) especially when I get a morning massage on my back.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I dismiss this mystery as "they are cats, they do that." However, I have always wondered about the best way to stop it when they are kneeding on you and you are wearing clothing you don't want holes in, or its uncomfortable or whatever. My current method is to hold the paw firmly but gently in my hand while explaining "daddy won't take your paws but you have to be good" or similar motivational message. It does seem to work. Well, sometimes.
Don't try to stop it. Everyone has clothing that can't be damaged by a kitty's claws. I only get holes in t-shirts.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't try to stop it. Everyone has clothing that can't be damaged by a kitty's claws. I only get holes in t-shirts.
For a dude, having your thigh kneeded feels really weird unless your wearing levis or something that thick. Also, one of my cats likes to lay on my chest and could easily end up kneeding my nipples or whatever. And if they are cuddled in the side and kneed the side of the chest, tickle city and a little painful. So yeah, I often prefer to stop it without bugging them depending on where they are positioned and what I'm wearing. Holding their paw gently works. Sometimes. Regardless, it doesn't bug them at all, so its worth a try. Its a serious issue! Well, not really, but it can be annoying at times.

Kid Indie

Samus Aran's Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know but it can't be worse then the rubbing their wet noses on your bare skin

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know but it can't be worse then the rubbing their wet noses on your bare skin
Oh don't get me wrong...I don't hate it...it's just not something he used to do and now it seems like a morning ritual so it got me curious. And I love their little wet noses! HEHE

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my tassee does the same thing especially on her bed

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I read this too and always joked a cat who kneaded my left breast knew where my mammary glands are.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh don't get me wrong...I don't hate it...it's just not something he used to do and now it seems like a morning ritual so it got me curious. And I love their little wet noses! HEHE
I love their wet noses...

Kid Indie

Samus Aran's Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know the significance of that. I just let my kitty child do it but I never know why exactly she does. I don't like it.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know the significance of that. I just let my kitty child do it but I never know why exactly she does. I don't like it.
I only don't like it if he does it where I am ticklish haha

KatC

Peaches
Kitten
Purraise
For a dude, having your thigh kneeded feels really weird unless your wearing levis or something that thick. Also, one of my cats likes to lay on my chest and could easily end up kneeding my nipples or whatever. And if they are cuddled in the side and kneed the side of the chest, tickle city and a little painful. So yeah, I often prefer to stop it without bugging them depending on where they are positioned and what I'm wearing. Holding their paw gently works. Sometimes. Regardless, it doesn't bug them at all, so its worth a try. Its a serious issue! Well, not really, but it can be annoying at times.
So my male cat has been ritually kneading the past few months. It used to be just on very very soft blankets and then when he was done kneading he would lay down and fall asleep. But the last few months he's been doing it to me. It seems that it's almost every morning now. He will put his two front paws on my stomach or legs and start kneading and purring really loudly. I doubt I am softer than a blanket... Why does he do this? Is he trying to wake me up? Is he anxious about something?
Hi all, I didn't read the entire post but I believe kneeding is an involuntary comfort association thing from when they were kittens, the kneading brings the milk to up from mama belly to her nipple so they can feed. I always thought it was sweet, some cats are in a trance like state like my old cat Toadie (RIP), he just couldn't help himself. I found if I put my finger in the middle of his paw pad we were both happy, he got his kneeling sensation and I wasn't shredded (though I think I wouldn't mind that either lol).