Why Do They Do This?

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would like to think that our cats know what our voice sounds like, and probably what we look like too right?
So why is it that I have heard from so many people that if their indoor cat gets out they run away from them if they try to catch them?
Even my cat has done this...she escapes outside and then when I call to her or try to go over to her she acts so scared and like I am a stranger..
Why??o_O:dunno:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't know, but I wonder if it's due to the cat picking up on the emotional state of the person (panic, fear, major concern...), They are such sponges for how we feel, --plus a lot of times the human is running or at least hurrying...
In your case maybe not, but still.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! I don't know, but I wonder if it's due to the cat picking up on the emotional state of the person (panic, fear, major concern...), They are such sponges for how we feel, --plus a lot of times the human is running or at least hurrying...
In your case maybe not, but still.

that's interesting...I do notice if I'm on the phone and I sound mad or angry or raise my voice my female cat runs up to me and starts headbutting me so maybe you're right as they sense panic or something different

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww, what a sweetie, she wants you to be happy :redheartpump:
I just wish she wouldn't act so scared when she gets outs...doesn't happen often, it's only happened twice but she tends to run under the cars in the parking lot and just meow at me... its very strange like her behavior changes when she gets outside

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to think that our cats know what our voice sounds like, and probably what we look like too right?
So why is it that I have heard from so many people that if their indoor cat gets out they run away from them if they try to catch them?
Even my cat has done this...she escapes outside and then when I call to her or try to go over to her she acts so scared and like I am a stranger..
Why??
o_O:dunno:
I don't know... maybe because cats are both routinized and territorial creatures, that remember/recognize smells and sounds (and familiar sights). Perhaps when they get loose in unfamiliar territory, they go into hyperdrive of 'flight or fight' and react mostly to immediate movements around them (and then either flee or fight).

I actually had this happen to me just yesterday with my cat Milly. We don't let her outside, but do have a daily familiar pathway we do inside of our building -- and ONLY on the same floor that we live on.
Walkies Welcome, Photos And More, With Or Without Leashes

Well, Milly's been really feeling her oats lately and making quick decisions on her morning walks. We've been having two humans in the hallway with her during her walks, taking off her leash, and letting her get exercise by galloping the hundreds of yards back and forth in the hallway. Yesterday she was eyeballing one of the staircases and sure enough, I didn't take my guard duty seriously enough (she's been a very good girl so far and I thought I had her trained well), and she darted right down to the 2nd floor... and panicked, bounding away. And I panicked. And the husband panicked. And we all were darting about the hallways, trying to regroup. Panicking.

She did exactly what you are wondering about, three times she paused right in front of me then darted away again in panic!

I finally caught her, and now she is "grounded" from her Walkies for a while, and I'll have to start my training with her again - leash only.

(I learned my lesson.) :paperbag:

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you try some treats, --shake the bag, or something particularly smelly next time?
Tried all of that :( eventually what I had to do was ignore her and play with the friendly stray cat who I feed/let stay inside and outside and then she came running over jealous wanting to see why I was playing with him and that's the only way I could grab her I was so scared :(

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know... maybe because cats are both routinized and territorial creatures, that remember/recognize smells and sounds (and familiar sights). Perhaps when they get loose in unfamiliar territory, they go into hyperdrive of 'flight or fight' and react mostly to immediate movements around them (and then either flee or fight).

I actually had this happen to me just yesterday with my cat Milly. We don't let her outside, but do have a daily familiar pathway we do inside of our building -- and ONLY on the same floor that we live on.
Walkies Welcome, Photos And More, With Or Without Leashes

Well, Milly's been really feeling her oats lately and making quick decisions on her morning walks. We've been having two humans in the hallway with her during her walks, taking off her leash, and letting her get exercise by galloping the hundreds of yards back and forth in the hallway. Yesterday she was eyeballing one of the staircases and sure enough, I didn't take my guard duty seriously enough (she's been a very good girl so far and I thought I had her trained well), and she darted right down to the 2nd floor... and panicked, bounding away. And I panicked. And the husband panicked. And we all were darting about the hallways, trying to regroup. Panicking.

She did exactly what you are wondering about, three times she paused right in front of me then darted away again in panic!

I finally caught her, and now she is "grounded" from her Walkies for a while, and I'll have to start my training with her again - leash only.

(I learned my lesson.) :paperbag:
First off I looked at that thread and oh boy she's cute!! I would have been panicking too! and that hallway is awesome I wish we had something like that! I would definitely feel more safe.
And yessss! the whole letting your guard down thing I did that too...She has been SOOOO good with being let out on the patio with my other cat Toby and she was being so good about not hopping over...and then one day I just let me guard down a split second and *hop off she went...And then exactly like you say...she stops and looks at me and then runs and usually under the car...and if I move towards one end of the car she goes the opposite way :( And Stella also got grounded:nono::nono:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's probably having fun out there with Thomas, that's why she's pretending not to know you. Demi did the same thing. He escaped and was playing in the woods with the neighbor's cat for 2 days. He pretended he didn't know me and looked the other way. He loves other cats.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's probably having fun out there with Thomas, that's why she's pretending not to know you. Demi did the same thing. He escaped and was playing in the woods with the neighbor's cat for 2 days. He pretended he didn't know me and looked the other way. He loves other cats.
Yea that’s probably true I just wish she understood that yes, life with me is very fun and happy and I’m kind to her but I don’t think she realizes that out there in the world there are some horrible people that could do awful things to her if they catch her, there’s wild animals and dogs and cars out there, and not everything is peaches and cream :hmmm:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I agree. I was panicking for 2 days when Demi escaped, especially since he was playing in the woods all night where there are coyotes. It hurt my feelings that he was pretending he didn't even know me.