Why Do Shops And Vet Surgeries Sell Plastic Containers For Feeding Animals?

ambermay

I hold your heart close to my chest.
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder why?
My cats are fine though.

Everyone knows that plastic holds most of bacteria from food and saliva.
For cats this can cause feline acne, dental problems, not to talk about other bacterial problems.
Especially bad are plastic dishes quite deep. They look nice, but not very practical.

Cat food could be given instead on a simple flat ceramic plate, which is easy to wash, and it does not accumulate cracks during use. That is what I personally use for my cats for their raw food and wet commercial food.

But the dry food is often mixed with saliva, that even any plate will not work.
What I did then is I put their dry food on a tight cloth, which gets washed every other day.

That is from my experience, but I would like to know your opinions, please?

nado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think plastic dishes are sold because they are inexpensive, and for many consumers, cost is the deciding factor of what to purchase.

I have four cats, and use at least eight dishes per day, and I like to have at least two days worth of clean dishes on hand at all times. Buying dishes at pet supply stores is very expensive; I buy small, shallow dishes and saucers at my local charity thrift store for about fifty cents each. The cats don't know the difference between a dish bought for seven dollars at a pet store and a fifty cent thrift shop dish, so why not buy what is both suitable and inexpensive, and costs less than a plastic dish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
True, the cats don't know the difference.
Me, I never bought a single dish for the cats from anywhere. I just use the ones available from my ceramics. They get washed twice a day and are very clean if I have to use them too. LOL. Simple and cheap.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the main reason is cost, they are cheap. Also plastic doesn't break (at least not easily), a lot of people feed there cats on tables or counters for various reasons and cats are notorious for knocking their dishes around. In those situations you are looking at metal or plastic as the options, and plastic is much cheaper. It's pretty much the same reasoning as to why people buy plastic cups, plates, and bowls for a human child rather then using the ceramic or glass dishes.

Another thing is manufacturing and marketing, most pet supply companies don't actually care about pet health or safety, they care about money. They sell them because people will buy them. They can much more cheaply make cute shapes and other designs that will attract buyers in plastic molds then they can in other material. Often hundreds for the price of one ceramic or metal bowl of the same "unique" design.

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you amethyst, so true what you said, but it is sad.

Because whilst parents will take close look at their human kids, they will not do the same for their cats.
Your answer is thorough and true. That is why, but I'm sad about it.

Humans are very protective about their belongings.
Just for reference, cats will not knock anything out, neither will they throw any items down from where they are. Unless they are being scared.
I have 7 cats of good age now, and never ever did they do any such thing.

Cats are such, that every hair on their body feels the environment and they are very careful about stuff. They can go around the very delicate things on display and not even move any item.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a plastic bowl (very small) that I use for dry food. However, it gets washed often. Very often.
For canned food I use ceramic plates that get washed after each feeding.
My water bowls are stainless steel, and the water is filtered. Even the snake gets filtered water.

I think most people use plastic because it's cheaper and more readily available. And they just don't stop to think that it needs to be washed.

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
True, they are cheaper, and Kudos to you that you wash them often.
So did I.
Just watch for small scratches from food on it, and later you perhaps will need to replace the bowl.
No matter how much you wash plastic, it still keeps bacteria inside.

Like I said I put dry food for my cats on a hard cloths and they get washed every second day.
I never saw a cat that likes to dig into the bottom, but they eat fresh stuff what's on the top first. That is bonus to their health, since the previous deposits from their mouths at the bottom could be generating during the day or so.

Trust me, I had feline acne on one cat before, and since I moved away from plastic - it stopped.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A gentle reminder to all of us who feed our cats using ceramic, porcelain or glass plates or bowls for their food or water, please note that these material can have hairline cracks that are not visible to our eyes and these cracks harbor bacteria.

Best is to have them soaked in hot water once a day to kill off bacteria in hairline cracks.

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
True, tabbytom, and imagine what kind the plastic would have then?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
True, tabbytom, and imagine what kind the plastic would have then?
Yea, they can have deep scratches and cannot be soaked or rinsed in hot water.

So glass, porcelain, ceramic and stainless steel utensils are much better but still have to use with due care.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I use ceramics for my cats, and wash them everytime I feed them. Those are the mini bowls that I had in my kitchen which I do not use anymore.

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
We use the same plates for cats as we use ourselves. And they don't have any cracks on them. They get washed after each and every meal, ours or theirs.
And yes, we also don't use any bowls for cats.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats definitely do knock things off of high places for fun, and not just because they're scared...

For instance, my Athena was recently batting around a pen left on the dining room table and pushed it to the edge, then watched it drop to the ground. She then happily jumped down to play with it.

This is a frequent occurrence.

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
war&wisdom, what you said is very innocent.
if not punished, cats will not break things.
Some of my cats also played with pens when they were younger, even printers.
So what? To me if a cat person lives with me - he/she is allowed all there is there cat-like, and therefore they don't have a reason to continue and break anything.
Just from my own experience with 7 cats I raised from kittens.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
war&wisdom, what you said is very innocent.
if not punished, cats will not break things.
Some of my cats also played with pens when they were younger, even printers.
So what? To me if a cat person lives with me - he/she is allowed all there is there cat-like, and therefore they don't have a reason to continue and break anything.
Just from my own experience with 7 cats I raised from kittens.
What? I have never punished my cats. Ever. I love them like my own children. They're just playing and having fun.

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what I mean. I did not imply that you did anything, I was speaking of my own experience. So, kudos to you, I also love my cats like my children, and since I don't have any human kids - there you are more then ever right.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
]
Humans are very protective about their belongings.
Just for reference, cats will not knock anything out, neither will they throw any items down from where they are. Unless they are being scared.
I have 7 cats of good age now, and never ever did they do any such thing.

Cats are such, that every hair on their body feels the environment and they are very careful about stuff. They can go around the very delicate things on display and not even move any item.
Yes I know cats can move through areas and around things without moving a single thing if they want to, the issue is if they want to. Cats knock things over for the fun of it not just when they are scared or punished. They also knock things off when they want attention or are mad, for example the food bowl is empty they want more (they don't care it's not meal time or the clocks changed due to daylight savings). So the bowl ends up on the floor, it makes noise and you come serve them. Some cats are also more mobile eaters and move the bowl as they eat, if you aren't paying attention the bowl/dish ends up on the floor. Also not everyone puts the dishes away right after feeding the cat, and some cat graze rather then eating all at once. Cat also play and chase each other or go after a bug or critter and may not always make sure they are super careful where they are going.

The fact that you have 7 cats is a pretty small sample to judge all cats from unless you have an assortment of breeds. You may have more mellow/lazy cats, but personally I have had cats for over 30 years and currently have 10 cats (ages ranging from about 3 to 13), including a Maine Coon and 4 half Maine Coons, and that breed is one that stays pretty kitten like their whole life. My oldest two cats (a MC and what I think is a ragamuffin) are 13 and still zoom though the house and play. The half coons who are almost 11 still literally climb the walls during play and are active hunters. Perhaps you don't have cats that are kitten like their whole lives? I know my domestic short hairs are pretty mellow now that they are older.

Thinking more about the plastic bowls/dishes, it could also be a cultural thing why you are so perplexed, your profile says you are in Zimbabwe, I have a feeling things are much different over there then in North America. I'm not sure plastic ware is as common, a lot of people in North America eat off reusable plastic themselves (plastic cups, plates, bowls, utensils) especially when camping or on a road trip, so would see no issue using it for their cats. Also alot of people also have always just used plastic bowls for their cats, for decades, and don't bother to do any research since they've always done that without issue. Plastic bowls don't cause acne in all cats, and if you regularly wash the bowl/dish most healthy cats aren't going to get sick. So people aren't going to see the issue unless they end up with a cat that does get acne or end up sick.

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a very good article, by the way.
I see your point.

But I'm not judging at all, and yes, with cats I have and saw - I never met one who could be playful enough to knock things around. I would guess that what you said applies more to inside-only cats.
Since my cats have access to a large yard, they perhaps play out all they want on the trees, etc. and have no need to knock things around the house.

About breeds you are also right. This is a good point. Mine are just moggies, even though very active.
Some of them will run through the yard, into the house, through the rooms, tables, shelves like a lightning without knocking anything around, but again not much is on those shelves to knock down.

With plastic stuff it is just like you said - one of my cats got acne at a young age, and then I googled it and there it was, so it is not really cultural thing in here, people are often eat from plastic too and keep plastic utensils since it is cheaper.
I would say it is my personal thing and yes, my cats have food ad-lib being changed 3 times a day. I'm lucky - my moggies do not overeat. None of my cats are fat, no thin.
Perhaps certain breeds could overeat and become fat, that I don't know about and won't say.

I thank you for very good conversation.
With my respect Amethyst.