why do my cats get so obsessed with treats?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, keeping the kittehs out of the treats (especially Temptations) can be a challenge.  And Hekitty, also, opens cabinet doors, and closet doors, and the bathroom door, and the bedroom door...not the front door, because I keep it dead-bolted, and the action of the knob is a little stiffer than the inside door knobs.  I have newer cabinets, and because I rent, I can't find a decent lock for them that doesn't require holes in the door or frame.  The hysterical thing is, once she's opened the cabinet door and gotten in, she can't figure out to just push to get back out.  I buy the boxes of temptations, too, after three torn-opened bags with no treats left in them.  She hasn't figured out that little corner latch on the lid...yet.

nancy1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
U really would not want to give ur cat no more treats. Oh my. Poor thing

cheshirepuss577

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you kidding? It's called A CAT TREAT for a reason...do you think it was made so cats would HATE it?...no
I mean it's like candy for cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you kidding? It's called A CAT TREAT for a reason...do you think it was made so cats would HATE it?...no
I mean it's like candy for cats
all i give them is freeze dried chicken. not regular cat treats that i can understand them obsessing about

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now you know why they call it Temptations.   I give them only 3 or 4 pieces every now and then - not every day.  Sometimes I can't get Sparky out from under the bed to eat his breakfast unless I lure him out with Temptations.  Only then can I close my bed and start my day.  

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this thread is a bit old, but just wanted to put in my 2 cents on cat treats. Our cats only get them as a reward for something. They don't beg for them since they know they'll get their teeth brushed or their nails clipped before they get any. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know this thread is a bit old, but just wanted to put in my 2 cents on cat treats. Our cats only get them as a reward for something. They don't beg for them since they know they'll get their teeth brushed or their nails clipped before they get any. 
lol thats a good suggestion.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's pretty much what we do, too, give treats -- Pure Bites or similar -- as rewards for things like coming when called, making it through clippings (this is rare, ha!), or being good when they have to be shut in the room when, say, the boiler's being serviced.
I also crumble them on leftovers or foods they aren't especially excited about.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
We still give temptations treats but I got some orijen soft freeze dried treats that we mix into the temptations. we have 2 cats and one doesn't care what the food is as long as its FOOD  and the other-picked out the temptations and left the soft treats last night

We use the treats to keep the youngest close to the house when she goes outside-his motto is if she knows she gets a treat every time she comes in then she wont go far.

I am at work during this time so I don't know how I feel about this but I at least got him to start giving her better quality treats...she comes running in and sits on her card table and sits pretty meowing at him to get some treats.