why do my cats get so obsessed with treats?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i used to give my cats temptations treats, until i found out how unhealthy they are, and because since my cats would skip dinner to eat treats. 

recently, i decided to try buying treats that have 1 ingredient, chicken breast. they love it and get  a couple of treats before bed time...

but they go crazy for it! my more dominant cat spends all day begging. When i ignore her she incessantly meows and climbs on my bed to get my attention (shes not allowed on my bed.) It makes me not want to give it to them anymore. Why do they act this way?

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you answered your question in your title: "obsessed"!
They just get obsessed with treats.

Our previous cat was obsessed with Temptations, too, and she would glare at us while we ate our dinner so we wouldn't forget (as if!) to give her her treats after we ate. She was extremely routine-oriented so she knew when to stake us out and wait for treats.

We also realized how unhealthy Temptations are, so we give the new cats Pure Bites, though they only get them at random times, like when I just think they might like a treat, or as a reward for something they don't like (claw trimming, getting a little kick because they got underfoot, sigh, etc.). I also crumble them on their food sometimes. They go crazy when they hear the Pure Bites bag but since they're not part of a schedule, they don't beg for them like Brooksie used to do with Temptations.

Good luck with your cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
11pm snack time. XD

im going to try like you said, and give it to them randomly. that sounds like a really great idea, thanks! 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly: they can tell time! And how funny about your cat - who is so sweet, I love her face! - and the tree outside the bathroom. Our cats come into the bathroom (I can't shut the door because they'll scratch at it) when I'm in the shower and wait for me because they know they get fed shortly after that. Yesterday, Edwina was sitting on the toilet tank and Ireland was on the lid. Charming animals they are!
(That said, they're not nearly as obsessed about waiting for meals as Brooksie was waiting for those Temptations!)

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Exactly: they can tell time! And how funny about your cat - who is so sweet, I love her face! - and the tree outside the bathroom. Our cats come into the bathroom (I can't shut the door because they'll scratch at it) when I'm in the shower and wait for me because they know they get fed shortly after that. Yesterday, Edwina was sitting on the toilet tank and Ireland was on the lid. Charming animals they are!
(That said, they're not nearly as obsessed about waiting for meals as Brooksie was waiting for those Temptations!)
thanks, shes a sweet cat most of the time. lol 

im starting to believe the people that called temptations kitty crack. lol i wonder what they put in that stuff? but then again my cat are obsessed even with healthy treats. 

my cats scratch at the bathroom door  too. lol how dare i use the bathroom when its their mealtime?!? 

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girls (who passed away) they loved it so much and they would meow non stop, they would go crazy.

The taste they love it and want some more...lol.. they became beggar lol

But they would vomit after eating it and made them sick, so I don't give to my Macha and Mia.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My girls (who passed away) they loved it so much and they would meow non stop, they would go crazy.

The taste they love it and want some more...lol.. they became beggar lol

But they would vomit after eating it and made them sick, so I don't give to my Macha and Mia.
im sorry for you loss. 

have you tried healthy snacks? the snack i give has one ingredient, chicken breast. both of my cats love it, and they used to be obsessed with the temptations treats. a healthy treat might not make them vomit.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you tried healthy snacks? the snack i give has one ingredient, chicken breast. both of my cats love it, and they used to be obsessed with the temptations treats. a healthy treat might not make them vomit.
We also feed chicken and turkey treats: Pure Bites. Our cats love them! They're cheapest if you buy them in the dog department. The pieces are bigger than the bags labeled for cats but you can just break them.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We also feed chicken and turkey treats: Pure Bites. Our cats love them! They're cheapest if you buy them in the dog department. The pieces are bigger than the bags labeled for cats but you can just break them.
yep. i do that too! lol i bought a huge bag from amazon recently. $25 for 20 oz the bag is huge.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

yep. i do that too! lol i bought a huge bag from amazon recently. $25 for 20 oz the bag is huge.
Thank you guys, I am going to try to buy some :-)

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats eat canned food at timed feedings, now their treats consist mostly of a few bits of kibble hand fed with only occasional purebite treat thrown in. This seems to work out well. There is no dry food left down to nibble all day. This is more cost effective, I feed Merrick chicken in yellow bag, the kibble is very tiny. The old dog still gets his Purebites. Here he is age 14 dressed for Halloween[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you guys, I am going to try to buy some :-)
They're great treats! And you can crumble them on food to get your cats to eat it. (I swear our cats would eat ANYthing with Pure Bite bits.)

Our cat vet sells dog-size bags of chicken Pure Bites at her office.
And yes, the bags are huge!

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you LisaHe, I am going to buy some and I will update you guys  :-)

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats eat canned food at timed feedings, now their treats consist mostly of a few bits of kibble hand fed with only occasional purebite treat thrown in. This seems to work out well. There is no dry food left down to nibble all day. This is more cost effective, I feed Merrick chicken in yellow bag, the kibble is very tiny. The old dog still gets his Purebites. Here he is age 14 dressed for Halloween[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️
He is adorable lol - he deserves his PureBites just based on cuteness alone!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Temptations...Kitty Crack!  HA!  So true.  So, when I switched Hekitty over to the new natural food, which is a stretch for the budget but she's worth it, I decided to go all the way and got Pure Bites.  This meant cutting my beef intake in half (I'm anemic, and HAVE to eat red meat once a week), but again, she is worth it.  HOWEVER...I put three of them out for her at her favorite snack time, thinking, "she's gonna love these!"  She sniffed them, then brought them, one by one, over to me and dropped them on my feet.  She then went into the trash (for the first time in her life), and found the dratted Temptations.  So...we're back to Kitty Crack, but on a very restricted basis (that is going over like a lead balloon, but better than the Pure Bites).

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get Temptations too... my cat Tiger (RIP) found them on top of the fridge once and put holes in the bag to get to the treats.

I have found that's a normal thing for those treats!

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
even though i've asked my husband not to buy temptations he still tries to sneak them in because 3 of our 5 cats love them. 1 is so addicted he figured out how to open the cabinet door, and knock the temptation box to the floor. he hasn't managed to get them out of the box yet and i put a lock on the cabinet.  i think the temptations people found something akin to heroin for cats...i've tried various healthy treats and all but 1 sticks their nose up and walks off, like "WTH is THAT!??" lol..

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah I wonder what they put in those treats! My cats have broken two containers and know how to open the treat cupboard to get at them. :rolleyes:

I like getting those little sample size kibbles and using that for treats. Even though it's just ordinary kibble, because it's novel the cats get quite excited.